• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Once you become an Indiana resident, you'll need the Indiana license (i.e. your NY license would cease to be valid here).

I don't know that having a current NY carry license figures into the application calculus at all.

It would be nice to see some future legislation cover this gap by making the state license of a new resident valid for 90 days, or if the IN LTCH has been applied for then valid until that's approved/disapproved, or something similar.

Good place to start - https://www.in.gov/isp/firearms.htm

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    For the mot part, if you're legal to own a firearm, you'll have no issues getting a License To Carry a Handgun (LTCH) in Indiana

Welcome!!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Once you become an Indiana resident, you'll need the Indiana license (i.e. your NY license would cease to be valid here).

I don't know that having a current NY carry license figures into the application calculus at all.

It would be nice to see some future legislation cover this gap by making the state license of a new resident valid for 90 days, or if the IN LTCH has been applied for then valid until that's approved/disapproved, or something similar.

Good place to start - https://www.in.gov/isp/firearms.htm

I agree. This has been discussed before and should be an easy fix to a problem. dkelly27 (great name by the way :D ) is lawfully carrying a handgun here in Indiana one day, the next he's not because of becoming an Indiana resident. Paging Mister Lucas, Mister Jim Lucas... ok seriously, this needs to be a bill in the 2020 legislative session.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    It really won't matter that you have a NY permit. You'll essentially be starting over here. If you can get one in NY, you shouldn't have any problem getting one in IN.:twocents:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I will be moving to Aurora In. in July. I want to get my carry permit. Will Having one From New York State help or hinder?:yesway:

I almost forgot; welcome to the United States of America and the Great State of Indiana :patriot::ingo:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just because no one else has said it, Indiana doesn't have a "carry permit". We have a License To Carry Handgun AKA a LTCH or Larry. And there is no requirement to conceal. Open, concealed, or duct tapped to your forehead it doesn't matter.

And welcome to Indiana and INGO.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    All the information here is good, so no need to repeat. Just wanted to say: welcome to Indiana, and welcome to INGO!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just because no one else has said it, Indiana doesn't have a "carry permit". We have a License To Carry Handgun AKA a LTCH or Larry. And there is no requirement to conceal. Open, concealed, or duct tapped to your forehead it doesn't matter.

And welcome to Indiana and INGO.

Post #3 :whistle:

Top Bottom