Concealed Weapons (other than handguns)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattfoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Wayne Co.
    I saw a few comments in another thread regarding other types of concealed weapons and I thought this might be worth talking about.

I am not talking about handguns. LTCH handles concealed/open carry.

What about knives, batons, etc that are concealed? Rifles/shotguns (despite the difficulty in concealment)? Is that legal in Indiana?

I looked but could not find code prohibiting it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I saw a few comments in another thread regarding other types of concealed weapons and I thought this might be worth talking about.

I am not talking about handguns. LTCH handles concealed/open carry.

What about knives, batons, etc that are concealed? Rifles/shotguns (despite the difficulty in concealment)? Is that legal in Indiana?

I looked but could not find code prohibiting it.
    Ensure that your rifles, if short-barrelled, and your AOWs that fire shotgun shells (like the Serbu Super Shorty) are ATF-registered, and you're OK.

Batons are not restricted, I don't think, and you already got an answer re: knives. Note that "ballistic knives" are also prohibited.

I'm not sure about others and I'm lazy at the moment and don't feel like looking it up. :popcorn: ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    whats a ballistic knife? a bayonet? boot knife?

A ballistic knife is one with a detachable blade that can be ejected by means of a spring or gas-powered mechanism. It's sometimes also used to refer to a switchblade.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    We've actually got it pretty good in Indiana, with no specific length restrictions except on a local level (I think Speedway??) Only throwing stars and automatics are illegal on a State basis.

US Knife Law Summary

* Ballistic knives (automatic blade throwers) are prohibited.
    * Switchblades may not be transported/mailed across state lines unless the recipient intends to use it for military use.
    * Possessing a knife in a federal facility is prohibited unless it is a pocket knife with blade under 2.5".

Indiana
    IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.2.

Interesting...
    IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    Sec. 13. (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Yeah, I saw that other thread too, and looked in the Indiana code, but couldn't find anything other than what's already been posted here.

On the topic of ballistic knives, did you see the "deadliest warrior" episode with the green berets and Spetsnaz? It was lame because they said the spetsnaz would have won, but the spetsnaz had a pretty cool ballistic knife.
    But the Green Berets would have definitely wasted the spetsnaz.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Interesting...
    IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    Sec. 13. (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.

You cut off the operative part of that statute:

(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Class D felony.

It's not saying you can't have or wear body armor, just that you can't while committing a felony.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    What if you are Law Enforecement and somehow commit a felony, example of beating a suspect up, and you are wearing body armor? I know it sounds far fetched. But what are the ramifications of it, does he then commit two felonies?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Yeah, I saw that other thread too, and looked in the Indiana code, but couldn't find anything other than what's already been posted here.

On the topic of ballistic knives, did you see the "deadliest warrior" episode with the green berets and Spetsnaz? It was lame because they said the spetsnaz would have won, but the spetsnaz had a pretty cool ballistic knife.
    But the Green Berets would have definitely wasted the spetsnaz.

I'd take the E-tool any day. I wonder if I could conceal one of those down my pants.:D

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You cut off the operative part of that statute:
    It's not saying you can't have or wear body armor, just that you can't while committing a felony.

Oops! mea culpa! :D Can I have bacon while committing a felony?

I'd take the E-tool any day. I wonder if I could conceal one of those down my pants.:D

180px-MPL-50.jpg

While I feel that Cold Steel are a talentless bunch of hacks who manufacture nothing other than a marketing film, this is cool!

Review : Cold Steel Special Forces shovel

Maybe you could conceal it...
    cssf_hammer.jpg

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Does anyone on here carry a knife or any weapon other than a gun? I have thought about doing it before but not sure..

I carry OC spray. I am looking into a taser or knife as possibilities. I haven't made the knife leap because I can see very few advantages if you already have a gun. e.g. Weapon retention, possibly in the confines of a car or truck. There are a lot of knife guys on here. Maybe the can educate us both.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Does anyone on here carry a knife or any weapon other than a gun? I have thought about doing it before but not sure..
    Yep. I've carried a knife since I was 16 for several reasons. It's a tool just like a carry gun and it serves a purpose. I could try cutting rope or opening a package with my gun, but I don't think that would work out so well ;). My knife is my back-up if my I am in an unfortunate situation where my gun is out of commission. Some people may not be as willing to comply with the demands of someone wielding a knife, but it's better than having nothing. It also helps to have a big, mean looking, shiny knife :D. So I carry a Spyderco Police SS C07 (4.125" blade, 9.4375" open length, fully serrated) in addition to my XDm 40.
    C07_L.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    kokomodave isn't bullshittin either. he carries that bitch.

the pommel actually scraps the ground when he walks. sounds like "thunkskkkkkkkkkkrrrrrrreeeeeeeethunkskkkkkkkkkkkrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee".........

when you decided to carry other weapons, remeber, it goes without says you get trained or have a great grasp of use of the weapon. just like people who carry guns and don't know a know a negligant discharge from a draw stroke, you have to KNOW your systems.

it sounds real cool to say "i carry XXX, XXX, and two XXX's" but just having a space shuttle don't make you an astronuat!

alternate weapons: baton, oc, knives, knuckles, saps/jacks, kubatons, ninja super stick, book from the library, TRUCK. best weapon is the brain..... and a "i WILL get home tonight" mindset.

Top Bottom