Concrete experts.... Need your help / advice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    So I just had a new deck built and a new patio poured. Company came well referred, but we've had some issues. I made the mistake of not showing pictures and not being extremely specific about what I wanted. Contractor made some mistakes as well, we'll all live. However, I'm looking at the concrete job as we're discussing final payment and negotiating, mistake and concessions. Today while I was at work, my wife asked about the concrete edge and gaps and he advised her to hire a landscaping company to come build up this edge (which was left a huge mess) or all the gravel / substrate will wash away, keep falling out... Etc. I was under the impression this edge would basically go to the ground... Am I wrong? I didn't think I would have to hire another company to come finish this job?! I was under the impression when they were done, I'd just be able to walk out and enjoy my new patio and deck after 10's of thousands of $$ spent. Is this concrete correct or... I just don't know enough to be sure? Any help, education, advice is greatly appreciated!

2.jpg 3.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm going to assume that price includes the deck. So probably not to far off.

I would think that for that money some backfill landscaping would be involved, but the devil is in the details of the contract.

I would also be concerned with what looks like wood under the concrete, if that is wood that is a no no.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    They would certainly be fixing the issue before I would sign off and render payment.
    By issue, do you mean the concrete edge? I think it's wrong, but I'm not sure how to verbalize that, other than I thought the concrete would go to the ground...?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    That price does include the deck (composite) and the concrete (Stamped & colored). I had a few quotes for over $40k.... Some folks out here getting after it for sure! I didn't go with the cheapest guy, but I certainly didn't go with the most expensive either.

Lpherr

Occupied
    By issue, do you mean the concrete edge? I think it's wrong, but I'm not sure how to verbalize that, other than I thought the concrete would go to the ground...?
    Yes sir. That should be back-filled and topsoil filled around the edges. And like Jay mentioned, if that's wood under the concrete, that will rot out and the concrete will collapse there. Also like mentioned, maybe the fine print states otherwise?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The pic looks like the ground tapers, so if it goes to ground on one side it could be under at the other. The grade was set off the stairs, so the thickness was probably laid out in the contract. For that price I would think some backfilling of topsoil would be included. It's not all that much and they already had the equipment at the site, but if it wasn't laid out in the contract then it wasn't

I'm curious as to what this is?
    2~2.jpg

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    The piece of wood I'm fairly certain is from an old stringer. Not sure why it wasn't removed. Even if it rots away there is good stringer behind it. Slab was to be 4"-5", which it is, but I didn't think I needed to address the very slight slope. I assumed it would be backfilled or even dug out / framed when pouring the concrete. Slab is saw cut. It's not all terrible work, but the main concern came, when the guy told my wife to hire someone to come in and do the backfill..... No contract on this, very well referred contractor, works with a lot of Amish crew. Truthfully, I never imagined being this disappointed.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The piece of wood I'm fairly certain is from an old stringer. Not sure why it wasn't removed. Even if it rots away there is good stringer behind it. Slab was to be 4"-5", which it is, but I didn't think I needed to address the very slight slope. I assumed it would be backfilled or even dug out / framed when pouring the concrete. Slab is saw cut. It's not all terrible work, but the main concern came, when the guy told my wife to hire someone to come in and do the backfill..... No contract on this, very well referred contractor, works with a lot of Amish crew. Truthfully, I never imagined being this disappointed.
    The wood is not an issue with the stringer. The issue is it is not supposed to be under the concrete. It will rot away and leave a void under the concrete. The same issue washing out of the substrate will cause.

It is really to late now, but it shouldn't have been like that

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    It's a gray area. What did you want the final product to look like - a step down from edge of concrete or a smooth transition to grass/landscape?

The fill under the slab should have been extended out a little further to prevent the washing out that is occurring. But, if you wanted a step down, that's kind of tough to do. I would backfill along the edge with topsoil and grass it.

It's not necessarily "right" but with only (I assume) foot traffic, it should be ok.

Top Bottom