• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a concrete floor in my basement that I either want to lay tile on or paint/stain. I nearly fired my contractor over the terrible concrete work they did in my basement. It's uneven and has sealer on it, at least where it stuck anyway. I imagine all the sealer will need to be removed whether I put tile down or paint/stain it.

We looked at Menards today and they have Dutch Boy concrete paint that we liked. They have a slip resistant variety as well. Do any of you guys know of an outfit that grinds concrete in the Lafayette area? I want someone with the proper dust collection equipment to minimalize any dust. My wife will have a fit if it's too dusty.

I watched some youtube videos on stripping sealer and it doesn't look like chemical strippers will be any easier or better than actual grinding. I want this done right the first time and avoid future adhesion problems due to lack of prep work.

The area that will be painted is roughly 800 sf and I have another room that probably won't get painted that is roughly 400 sf.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not sure what it'll cost to get this done. I want it done right though.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You may want to consider a vinyl laminate floor. We put one in our basement and love it, it doesn't get glued on, the strips just overlap each other with an adhesive. My basement floor was pretty rough surfaced too.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I watched some youtube videos of running a concrete grinder and it doesn't look too difficult. Sunbelt rentals seems to carry the grinders and vac systems so I'll have to see what their weekend rates are.

Our plan is to drywall/texture the ceiling. I'll have to build some bulkheads to go around the duct work. I'm thinking about getting an electric retractable projection screen to hide in the one bulkhead and eventually getting a projection unit to hang from the ceiling for a 100" picture or so.

We'll then grind the floor for tile or paint. Once that's done, we'll put cedar bevel siding on all the walls. I'm also wanting to put a small kitchenette down there as well. I'm not sure what kind of cabinet wood to go with that would look good against cedar. I'm thinking of using a full sized refrigerator to cover up the safe room door as well.

Should be a nice entertainment room when we get it finished.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Forget about a chemical stripper if you are going to lay tile. Every thinset manufacturer that I use will not warranty a chemical stripper.

I don't know how bad your floor is but if you could just buy an 8"of grinder and knock the sealer of then you could use self leveling underlayment and be set.

PM me if you need help. I lay tile everyday.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    We use the Concrete Surgeons for most of the work we need in terms of boring thru thick concrete walls, I'm not sure if they do surface grinding or not, may be worth a call though.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    There is a place out of Warsaw that advertises concrete polishing/finishing in that Indiana Auto/RV magazine.

I've been thinking about having the new shop floor done before I move the machines in.

Top Bottom