Condor K&T Matt Graham Primitive Bush Knife & Machete (1075 CS version)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    63802_1.jpg

The new 1075 carbon steel Matt Graham Primitive Bush Knife seems to be awesome (the upper is the knife, the lower is the machete).

Someone who may or may not be typing this may or may not have acquired one on Saturday or not Saturday.

The aforementioned highly hypothetical knife may or may not make an excellent ice pick and ice chopper.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The knife that may or may not exist may or may not be the cause of rhino's next self-inflicted wound, which may or may not require stitches. Or a tourniquet. Or a prosthetic. Or a ride in a pretty red and white helicopter.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I love the look of that bush knife, rhino. Cool !:)

By design, it's thin and lighter than it looks. It's a good chopper because what weight it does have is biased toward the front end. I think it would make a good digging tool too.

The micarta grip is well done. It's supposed to be a little larger than the wood grip on the 420SS version, but it's not too big for my tiny raccoon-sized paws.

It has an interesting edge geometry too. Like other Condors, it looks like a scandi, but it's actually convexed... kinda of scandivex.

The knife that may or may not exist may or may not be the cause of rhino's next self-inflicted wound, which may or may not require stitches. Or a tourniquet. Or a prosthetic. Or a ride in a pretty red and white helicopter.

Did you order yours yet?

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I own the knife and am in love with it (if it was legal, I would marry it). I find myself carrying it into the woods more than my JUNGLAS or my TRAILMASTER. The small sharpened back edge is absolutely the "bomb" for making fire boards. All in all, if I have to chose one knife, the PRIMITIVE is it. A great knife at a great price.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I own the knife and am in love with it (if it was legal, I would marry it). I find myself carrying it into the woods more than my JUNGLAS or my TRAILMASTER. The small sharpened back edge is absolutely the "bomb" for making fire boards. All in all, if I have to chose one knife, the PRIMITIVE is it. A great knife at a great price.

Yeah, one of my next tasks is to use it like a drill. The knife looks weird, but everything about it has a specific purpose. I don't there will ever be One Knife to Do It All, but this thing is probably close to it.

Did you get the stainless or the CS version?

I like the sheath too, but I'm concerned I'm going to cut through it sooner or later.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Yeah, one of my next tasks is to use it like a drill. The knife looks weird, but everything about it has a specific purpose. I don't there will ever be One Knife to Do It All, but this thing is probably close to it.

Did you get the stainless or the CS version?

I like the sheath too, but I'm concerned I'm going to cut through it sooner or later.

Stainless. Which is odd for me because I'm a totally 1095 guy. But this steel is easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. I'm thinking about custom Micarta scales, but, for the time being the hockey tape wrap is working just fine. Don't worry about the sheath; it's really well thought out and rugged. And if you do cut through, you can always have a custom Kydex made for it...........P.S.-- I think someone is using this version on "ALONE SEASON 2".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Stainless. Which is odd for me because I'm a totally 1095 guy. But this steel is easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. I'm thinking about custom Micarta scales, but, for the time being the hockey tape wrap is working just fine. Don't worry about the sheath; it's really well thought out and rugged. And if you do cut through, you can always have a custom Kydex made for it...........P.S.-- I think someone is using this version on "ALONE SEASON 2".

I'll have to watch! I've been too busy to see anything past episode 2 this season.

Condor must do a good heat treatment on their 420. It might also be 420HC like Buck uses, and not the crappy 420J2 butter knife material used by Frosts, etc.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Thanks for posting this Rhino. I've wanted one for a while, but didn't want stainless. Now that they have a carbon version, I'll definitely pull the trigger. Kind of puts me in the mind of a small barong, which I'm a big fan of.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll just bet that you won't be able to get it sharp......enough

And I'll have it soon

Hush, you!

It's plenty sharp now. That li'l Koster is now too!

Thanks for posting this Rhino. I've wanted one for a while, but didn't want stainless. Now that they have a carbon version, I'll definitely pull the trigger. Kind of puts me in the mind of a small barong, which I'm a big fan of.

You won't be disappointed. Now I want the machete version too!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Too pale to be me! FRAUDULENT!!

I'm embarrassed to admit it because I hate the company, but if you are in the market for a machete, this thing can't be beat for $20 on Amazon.
    Barong Machete 18" - Cold Steel Knives

I'm sure that's a fine tool, but it's not as cool as the Condor!

Does it fit into your tiny raccoon like mitts?
    It's little too small for me

Yes, yes it does!

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I'll have to watch! I've been too busy to see anything past episode 2 this season.

Condor must do a good heat treatment on their 420. It might also be 420HC like Buck uses, and not the crappy 420J2 butter knife material used by Frosts, etc.

Yes it is 420 HC and it will take a hair popping razor edge.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Did some chopping in the yard yesterday. The MGPBK is a pretty good chopper, especially given how light it is. Unfortunately I wasn't being very careful and I rolled the point when it hit the driveway. Elsewhere I rolled the edge in the "sweet spot" for chopping when I found that someone had left a steel grating buried in some branches. The edge isn't too bad after a little filing and resharpening, but the point is no longer very pointy after I filed away the rolled tip.

A harder knife with the same edge geometry and thickness probably would have chipped under the same circumstances, so that's not a big deal. The edge did not stay sharp very long, though. On the other hand, it's easy and quick to get it sharp again.

I think it would be a much better knife if it were 1095 with a differential heat treatment, but then it would probably cost significantly more.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Did some chopping in the yard yesterday. The MGPBK is a pretty good chopper, especially given how light it is. Unfortunately I wasn't being very careful and I rolled the point when it hit the driveway. Elsewhere I rolled the edge in the "sweet spot" for chopping when I found that someone had left a steel grating buried in some branches. The edge isn't too bad after a little filing and resharpening, but the point is no longer very pointy after I filed away the rolled tip.

A harder knife with the same edge geometry and thickness probably would have chipped under the same circumstances, so that's not a big deal. The edge did not stay sharp very long, though. On the other hand, it's easy and quick to get it sharp again.

I think it would be a much better knife if it were 1095 with a differential heat treatment, but then it would probably cost significantly more.

I'll take it

Cur Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    Lafayette area

Rhino, If your interested I can put the point back on it for you. I don't think you live to far from me so I can do it while you wait.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll take it

Hush, you!

Rhino, If your interested I can put the point back on it for you. I don't think you live to far from me so I can do it while you wait.

That's a most excellent offer, sir! I may accept!

For now I'm going to stick with the less pointy point. It was very pointy before, but that also made it fragile. The new point is a little sturdier. I haven't tried to use it as a hand drill yet, so I won't be able to compare before and after. I need to see how well it works now, though.

Top Bottom