• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Do you display the flag, whether a traditional flag, tattoo, t-shirt, household decorations, etc.?

The poll isn't asking if you support the First Amendment or whether you are against any form of ban. It is not about President Obama or the liberal agenda. It's simply asking if YOU display the flag.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I - like Mark-DuCo - am also north of the Mason-Dixon line therefore I do not display or own one. However my family in Alabama and Tennessee do. They are highly religious, strong family motivated, proud southerners who believe slavery has always been wrong. The stars and bars are a symbol of southern pride for them, ancestors fought for the confederacy and still believe strongly in the brotherhood that fought and bled and died together, fighting for each other - as all soldiers do - none of them equating that symbol to slavery and no where near white supremacy.

I will not offend my neighbors and friends with that symbol here, but if I lived near my family in Alabama or Tennessee I might. I too feel a bond with my ancestors who fought with and for their brothers in grey, who cared little about politics but cared deeply for their land and their family. There's a John Wayne movie - can't remember the name right off - but near the beginning of the movie John Wayne is a union officer and he's talking to a confederate officer, informing him the war is over. He asks why they continue to fight. I'll never forget the answer, "...this is our land...and you're on it."

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Family roots are in Tennessee. For generations they have held that the South was invaded by the North for economic reasons. Slavery was only a side issue for them. To the best of my knowledge, none of my family ever owned slaves, and none ever sanctioned it. For them the Confederate flag symbolizes their united stand against Yankee oppression. Given the chance, they would rise again to oppose Yankee oppression. While I would not have supported slavery, I probably would have stood with them back in the day. I think I would stand with them now if they decide to do it again in the modern era. Yankee oppression, from the liberal Democrat-Progressive Harvard-Yale cesspool of evil, is far worse today than it was back in that day—and this cause is far better than the slavery issue.

Again, slavery was, and is evil; but so is Yankee oppression.

Never flew the Confederate flag. If they decide to do it again, I hope they chose a different flag. No sense in bringing the connotations of slavery found in the old flag back into the discussion.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Family roots are in Tennessee. For generations they have held that the South was invaded by the North for economic reasons. Slavery was only a side issue for them. To the best of my knowledge, none of my family ever owned slaves, and none ever sanctioned it. For them the Confederate flag symbolizes their united stand against Yankee oppression. Given the chance, they would rise again to oppose Yankee oppression. While I would not have supported slavery, I probably would have stood with them back in the day. I think I would stand with them now if they decide to do it again in the modern era. Yankee oppression, from the liberal Democrat-Progressive Harvard-Yale cesspool of evil, is far worse today than it was back in that day—and this cause is far better than the slavery issue.

Again, slavery was, and is evil; but so is Yankee oppression.

Never flew the Confederate flag. If they decide to do it again, I hope they chose a different flag. No sense in bringing the connotations of slavery found in the old flag back into the discussion.

Democrats in the North were against ending slavery in the south. They feared abolition would lead to an influx of cheap labor to the north - seat of the beginnings of the industrial revolution - and they did not want to lose their jobs or their comparably high wages. Republicans in the north fought hard to keep abolition alive, end the war as quickly as possible before an agreement was reached to end the war on peaceful terms, because it was right and just. None of these things mattered to southern soldiers fighting and dying in the south.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not anymore. In college (20 years ago) we had a full size confederate flag on our wall and most of the pickups had a license plate or bumper sticker of some sort. Honestly I have no opinion one way or the other.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Never really occurred to me to show the colors of a country that lost their existential battle.

But, as noted above, because freedom.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    It was big when I was in high school, but I haven't seen one around since. My wife has a lot of family in Georgia and it's fairly common down there. It matters not to me really but I think the south stood for a lot more than slavery. This country has a bit of history with different thinking and not agreeing with the government.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Nope, never have, never will.

Ditto

Individuals should be able to do what they want...and not be surprised when people assess them based upon the symbols they choose to venerate.

States should make their own choice...and not be surprised when people assess them based upon the symbols they choose to venerate.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    It is part of our history and we need not forget... North vs South is a major part of the history in our country and should be remembered, brother fought brother and many died and should be remembered for such.. I do not own a Confederate Flag or have I ever...

Top Bottom