• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I know this is stupid to some,but it just don't feel right when I see a confederate flag flying. Especially when there is no American flag in sight. A lot of great people died and sacrificed for that flag,and it represents our people and land. And I just feel its disrespectful. My friend on the other hand does not. So there you go guys tell me if I'm right or wrong. Won't hurt my feelings if you end up teaching me a lesson.

Last edited:

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I went to go buy an American flag one day. The tag said "100% Polyester/Made In Korea".

I worry more about "Ex specially" these days and less about Asian polyester.

dobeluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    i believe you are wrong. An awful lot of Americans also died for the Confederacy. Now if you are talking about flags with green in them I happen to agree with you.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I know this is stupid to some,but it just don't feel right when I see a confederate flag flying. Especially when there is no American flag in sight. A lot of great people died and sacrificed for that flag,and it represents our people and land. And I just feel its disrespectful. My friend on the other hand does not. So there you go guys tell me if I'm right or wrong. Won't hurt my feelings if you end up teaching me a lesson.

Agreed 100%

I will only say go to the south side of the monument downtown and you will see the ONLY way that thing should be displayed in public

Last edited:

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    i believe you are wrong. An awful lot of Americans also died for the Confederacy. Now if you are talking about flags with green in them I happen to agree with you.

Dying for a good cause is praise worthy

Dying to support something that is wrong, Have a good day buring !

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

A lot of good people died for the confederate flag also. The civil war wasn't fought for slavery, it was fought for freedom from oppression. Slavery was the popular tag hung on the war to make it a "righteous" war. Its symbolism has been bastardized by haters and bigots. It might be defendable to say that the confederated states and those that fought on that side were the "tea party" of the day.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Baloney. I believe is state's rights, but the primary state's right that was at issue in the Civil War was slavery. If not, why not exercise your state's right to free the truly oppressed, not just those who feel politically oppressed? The Confederacy had some good points, but supporting the systematic dehumanizing of men and women overrides them all. The Confederacy came down on the wrong side of that issue and that stains everything. And should.

How would most African-Americans react to the Confederate flag? That matters to me. Why would I ever want to paint myself with the same colors as those who saw slavery as destiny and African-Americans as sub-human?

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    The confederate flag is a symbol with various meanings. I read an article awhile ago about a black kid who hung it up in his dorm room. Yea I know it offends people but in America you don't have the right to not be offended. If you don't like it don't look at it.

On another note...
    I dont see how killing 600000 Americans was justified in the case of the civil war.
    Why do the states not have the power to dissolve the union when they had the power to create the union?

Slavery is evil but fighting evil with more evil...

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    People can fly any flag they want in America.
    Now I wouldn't take kindly to a Confederate flag flying over the stars and stripes. But heck, free speech and all. This is still America.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Yes I believe in freedom also, and would never go tell someone what to fly or do. I hate when people try to take away freedoms just because they don't understand or like something. But I don't know a lot on this issue and learn a lot about things talking to others. Yes I believe you can fly which ever you want. I just wanted to know why you fly it or are against it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If you want the answer to the Confederate flag question, answer first why John Wilkes Booth shouted "Sic semper tyrannis" before killing Lincoln.
    Because it was the Virginia state motto, and he wanted to identify himself with Virginia and the Southern cause. And he shouted it after killing (shooting) Lincoln.

On another note...
    I dont see how killing 600000 Americans was justified in the case of the civil war.
    Why do the states not have the power to dissolve the union when they had the power to create the union?

Slavery is evil but fighting evil with more evil...
    "Hell let loose on earth cannot be subdued by the beating of angels' wings." And it was closer to 750,000, mostly by disease. Many founding fathers and later political leaders feared the inevitable Balkanization that would result from the breakup of the Union. Disjointed, petty states fighting over perceived slights and minor differences. They saw it happen far to often in too many places to believe it couldn't happen here. So it was OK for Jackson to enforce Union at the point of a sword, but not Lincoln?

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    As I stated in another thread

What most people call the Confederate Flag was infact not the confederate flag. It was the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

Its actually Ironic but If I flew the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virgina on MLK drive Im a racist and bigot and what not. But If I fly the true flag of the Confederacy "The Stars and Bars" they are none the wiser and Im not a racist or bigot.

Slavery was a means to an end for the Union, what better way to Polarize a population to support a war than to fabricate or exploit a reason and drive the people to war, (Think Bush and WMD's)

Before the Civil War when refering to America it was The United States are America meaning that the whole of the country is derived and defined from the seperate states forming a mutually beneficial union. Basically at that time it was understood that the power of the union and Federal Government was Granted and allowed by the individuals states. Basically States > Federal Government. Federal Power was at the will and consent of the governed in the individual sovereign states.

Post Civil War it became the United States Of America. Basically it was a radical change from our founders intentions. It was a sucessful Coup. The Federal Government had effectively removed all power from the sovereign states and defined itself has it saw fit. Government > States. The states are now just part "OF" America. The power of the government is no longer strong at the will of the people.

In simpler Terms Union = Democrat Confederacy = Republicans.

The Men and women who honorably and gloriously died in the service of the Confederacy did so to continue on the legacy of our founding fathers. They believed in a central federal government that would unify the states but still answered to the will of the people, and while there could be a small central government the states still remained sovereign. Supreme Executive power derives from a mandate from the masses.

Slavery was just a red herring.

I fly two flags anymore, my US Army Flag and the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    The "south" lost the war fair and square, surrendered to the victorious "north", and their sorry flag , their currency, and all other symbols of their ill advised assult on their country (USA) should have been done away with. They tried to split this great nation apart and failed. The conflict ended over a 140 yrs. ago, the south LOST so....get over it already and stop continually opening old wounds by displaying the "stars and bars".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom