• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I didn't find anything specifically regarding how comm networks are set up for various scenarios. I'm working on my Technicial license and am looking at what config would make sense give different situations.

What is everyone doing in terms of configuring radios for different situations, with SHTF being one of them? Are you running just handhelds or a base station. Vehicle mounts or mobile base stations? What about programming of channels? Do you load a primary channel into all radios, with defined secondary channels on different areas of the spectrum? Do you define a channel for vertical (reporting up the chain) comms as well as channels for horizontal (tactical)? What about designated emergency channels or channels that are monitored 24/7?

Do you have a different comm setup for camping with the family vs public service vs SHTF situations?

Pardon all of the questions. I'm new to this technology and see the ability to define a communications network as an interesting way of handling it.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I believe there is an INGO ham radio group, possibly involving one of the mods. (could be mistaken on that point). But if you search in the search function for ham radio I’m sure you’ll find it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I should also add that I'm not solely focused on Ham with this, in case there are folks doing similar stuff using GMRS, CB or even FRS radios. Amateur Radio makes the most sense but the licensing requirement probably puts a lot of folks off. So if we can, I'd love to discuss any/all means of managing radio communications during an event of some sort, whether it's a camping trip with friends, responding to a tornado or in a SHTF type scenario.

Reactions: Mij

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Some of the Radio's that you will use are only Allowed ( type accepted ) for certain frequencies - depending on Power output and Bandwidth

You may wonder if you need a GMRS license if you already have a ham radio license. The answer is yes, they are separate licenses with separate callsigns. If you get a GMRS license and a ham license you will have two separate callsigns for each service.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, I'm licensed for GMRS and am studying for the Technician license. I've been hanging out on repeaters and listening to the chatter happening out there.

I've seen conflicting info on the legality of using a UV-5R for GMRS, though. Some say that it's legal, but it does break the detachable antenna requirements for a handheld in GMRS. I have GMRS radios, so there is no issue there.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For frequency selection for simplex comms, I've been looking at the band plan from ARRL and picking a few simplex channels to set the radios up on. Add in local repeaters, wx and emergency, and it should be good, no?

Top Bottom