• ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    NRA to settle suit over Katrina gun seizures - Yahoo! News

NEW ORLEANS - City officials have agreed to return hundreds of firearms that police officers confiscated in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, part of a deal to resolve a lawsuit filed by gun lobbying groups.

In their lawsuit, the gun lobbying groups accused the city of violating gun owners' constitutional right to bear arms and leaving them "at the mercy of roving gangs, home invaders, and other criminals" after Katrina.

In response, the city argued that federal law doesn't apply to the plaintiffs' claims against city officials "because the right to keep and bear arms has never been recognized as a fundamental individual right."

I think that's been decided.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's ********, they should have to give back the gun AND the money of what the gun cost in BRAND NEW condition! I have an America's 1st Freedom Mag and it shows most guns were thrown into big tupperware like tubs and cardboard barrels, most of which were all rusted out. Most guns were also rendered useless or just broken. How dare they settle for this! I have just been reminded on why I let my membership lapse. This is outrageous and I hope those whose guns were taken don't stand for this.

Unbelieveable. Unconcieveable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    So you are saying that the NRA is to blame for the mistreatment of these people's guns? I'd say its amazing they will even get their rust back. Of course its not what the people deserve, but I am surprised the NRA even got this much accomplished. Maybe they couldn't get more out of the lawsuit because you did let your membership lapse. Then again, maybe not.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No the NRA is not to blame for the mistreatment. I followed their every move up until 6 months ago. They SHOULD have fought for compensation. They should have fought for reconsiliation. They should have fought to get people their defenses back. Instead they are getting rusted, unusable heaps of metal and rotted wood back.

My membership only lapsed this month. And not because I wanted to as I lead on. It lapsed because I couldn't afford to renew. Now I'm debating whether I should or not. That's not the issue here. They have millions and you're telling me the best they could do was get their rust given back? I don't think so. It just pisses me off.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    These guns were stolen! Isn't that what insurance is for?
    I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but this should be lesson to us all.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    These guns were stolen! Isn't that what insurance is for?
    I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but this should be lesson to us all.

I bet that would be one interesting insurance claim. Not too many insurance companies have seen claims where the cops are the ones who stole the items.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Too bad once the NRA settles this it won't matter. Hell I'm sure the time span has lapsed anyway. It's a shame those people didn't fight back.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Perhaps they didn't continue for the "knockout" because they weren't going to get it as this happened prior to the SCOTUS ruling for Heller. Maybe they played it safe and went for a less spectacular "points" win. Nonetheless, they were in the fight.
    Just my :twocents: until more facts surface.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    you're probably right. This whole thing is just a big piece of BS and it really gets under my skin. I hate seeing fellow Americans being treated this way and I just want to go out with my pimp glove and smack some people! One day people will wake up and smell the cow dung. I just hope it's sooner than later.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    The problem is that we have become a nation of wussies (self-edited that). When the British tried doing a similar thing 260 something years ago, it started a revolution. Our founding fathers would most likely be disgusted with us if they were alive.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: October 8, 2008
    New Orleans officials have agreed to return hundreds of firearms that police officers confiscated in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, part of a deal to resolve a lawsuit filed by gun lobbying groups. The settlement agreement filed Tuesday in federal court calls for the groups, the National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation, to drop their case if the city follows a plan for returning guns to owners who had them seized by the police after the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane. The Supreme Court recently ruled on a Washington city ordinance that the amendment protects private ownership of handguns, not just the arsenals of state militias. A police spokesman, Bob Young, said the department had stored 552 guns that were confiscated after Hurricane Katrina, through Dec. 31, 2005. The police have said that most of the confiscated firearms had been stolen or found in abandoned homes, but the N.R.A. claims the police disarmed some people who were trying to flee the city.

How DARE they say this! Especially when there is VIDEO to PROVE otherwise! What about the 70 year old woman they battered because she wouldn't reliquish her revolver? Let me guess. She stole that revolver from the thugs they were letting run wild after Katrina? Oh and lets not forget the door to door search and seziures...

They are going to get away with this. This will all be swept under the rug and in a couple years it will be forgotten by everyone but those who lost out.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: October 8, 2008
    New Orleans officials have agreed to return hundreds of firearms that police officers confiscated in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, part of a deal to resolve a lawsuit filed by gun lobbying groups. The settlement agreement filed Tuesday in federal court calls for the groups, the National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation, to drop their case if the city follows a plan for returning guns to owners who had them seized by the police after the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane. The Supreme Court recently ruled on a Washington city ordinance that the amendment protects private ownership of handguns, not just the arsenals of state militias. A police spokesman, Bob Young, said the department had stored 552 guns that were confiscated after Hurricane Katrina, through Dec. 31, 2005. The police have said that most of the confiscated firearms had been stolen or found in abandoned homes, but the N.R.A. claims the police disarmed some people who were trying to flee the city.

How DARE they say this! Especially when there is VIDEO to PROVE otherwise! What about the 70 year old woman they battered because she wouldn't reliquish her revolver? Let me guess. She stole that revolver from the thugs they were letting run wild after Katrina? Oh and lets not forget the door to door search and seziures...

They are going to get away with this. This will all be swept under the rug and in a couple years it will be forgotten by everyone but those who lost out.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Not only is their video to prove it. They tackled her before ordering her to turn it over. My blood boils everytime I think about that video. There was nothing lawful about that seizure. Nothing. Sickening.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    "Strong Persuasion"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm5PC7z79-8]YouTube - National Guard Confiscating Guns in New Orleans[/ame]

Top Bottom