• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you agree with the actions being taken?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Taking a gun away from someone who wants to kill himself is not the solution, it only buy times as you can kill yourself without a gun.
    Sessions with a psychologist is the only way to make those soldiers feel better and prevent suicides.
    You cant just "cure" someone who suffers from PTSD by taking his/her gun away.
    It takes years of sessions and work with a psychologist and the help of the family.
    Are they also going to make sure that those soldiers dont own bathtubes or ropes at home?

Sure if I had a friend who I knew wanted to kill himself I would have no problem taking his guns away from him even if it's not legal.But the more important would be to listen to him and make sure he's okay, not just taking potential deadly weapons away from him.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    This would be the first step. So called medical screening, psy evaluation on civies to see if they are FIT mentally to own a gun.

How do we know if a man truly wants to kill himself?

Project972

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    do you want me to tell you war stories about the 50s and 60s. you can never correct that problem.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As soon as they start with the military, then they will ease the way into the population. Then its easy enough to start with the, "well, if you OWN a gun, you are crazy" thus, you buy a gun, you are crazy, they take it and lock you away, for your own good. Forget that

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If the .gov feels it can confiscate guns 'for fear the soldier might commit suicide', then they should logically have the privilege of confiscating those soldiers' vehicles, kitchen knives, all electrical appliances, etc, etc, ad nauseum. This would be yet another step towards a total nanny state, which is absolutely despicable when combined with the phrase "the land of the free".

:twocents:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I voted "depends on the condition." I don't think that being an "at risk" service member cuts the mustard. I do however believe that in cases where it would apply to any citizen, would be ok.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had to vote no. We don't want our government to carry out their whimsys, any more than they already are.

An emergency order from a judge under the recommendation of a psychologist is the only acceptable way to allow confiscation. And if abused, those involved should be held accountable.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    What about all the soldiers who own guns and benefit mentally from target shooting, hunting, collecting, and so on? What about the benefits of feeling safer because they have the ability to defend themselves, families, and property?

I think, although I am too lazy to look up, there are plenty of laws about mentally unstable people purchasing, owning and carrying guns.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I am betting this will be a new law that will be passed and supported by both sides of the fence. Look at the pass few high profile killings, virginia tec., batman in colo., the mental health community really has no obugation to report people they are seeing that may want to off themselfs, much less anyone of them that maybe planning evil like in a movie house.:( Someday they will have a law to where they will be required to report anyone with least bit of a mental problem that "they" believe could lead to a shooting, mass or otherwise. And goverment already has a list of everyone collecting money for PTSD, would they come out to get their guns? I do not thing I would want that job, But they could block you from buying one from a ffl, getting and keeping your carry lic. The bad thing is the few people who are collecting that payment each month, that did it just for the money. Not a damn thing wrong with them, they just wanted the money.:dunno:

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    What about all the soldiers who own guns and benefit mentally from target shooting, hunting, collecting, and so on? What about the benefits of feeling safer because they have the ability to defend themselves, families, and property?

I think, although I am too lazy to look up, there are plenty of laws about mentally unstable people purchasing, owning and carrying guns.

Yes but this is only AFTER a court of law has stepped in, usually only after a son, daughter, mother, father has question the members mental abilty to be around firearms, then the circus would begin with lawlers, mental health people, that could go on quite a while. Unless the member brecks the law somehow, giving leo the rights to hold their guns until cleared. Remember a few years back in Indianapolis, man's gun were being held by indy police he was cleared to get them back and he in turn killed a police man with a sks later, just saying we need a better system then this.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    i vote no! we trust them enough to ride into battle all over the world with the most sopisticated weapons systems in existence and then we turn around and tell them we dont trust them to own private weapons in their homeland for defense and recreation?! Shameful!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    As said above, if a person REALLY wants to kill themselves, taking a gun away will not stop them..

An old friend of mine lost his teen son to suicide. He was very responsible with his guns. They were locked in a gun cabinet, with the rounds locked in a lock box in the cabinet. His son drilled out the lock on the cabinet to get to the guns, sawed the lock off the box containing the ammo, and shot and killed himself..

By the "gun confiscation" logic, we should also confiscate power tools..

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Even if they take guns away it's relatively easy to find plenty of methods on the net. My son took his life this summer using a charcoal grill. Just more bs from a govt. afraid of its own citizens. No wonder Barack Husein wants to suppress the military vote.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Even if they take guns away it's relatively easy to find plenty of methods on the net. My son took his life this summer using a charcoal grill. Just more bs from a govt. afraid of its own citizens. No wonder Barack Husein wants to suppress the military vote.

Sorry for your loss..

Top Bottom