• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    This can also happen in Indiana, if a court were to find a person to be "dangerous".

Indiana Code 35-47-14

e.g., IC 35-47-14-2
    Warrant to search for firearm in possession of dangerous individual

Might be harder to figure out what they have, without registration, but the law is there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sooo...we're against taking firearms away from mentally unstable people? Do you really want no mechanism in place to remove firearms from someone who's violently mentally ill BEFORE the tragedy happens?

Also, did you notice this in the article:

Merely being in a database of registered gun owners and having a “disqualifying event,” such as a felony conviction or restraining order, isn’t sufficient evidence for a search warrant, Marsh said March 5 during raids in San Bernardino County. So the agents often must talk their way into a residence to look for weapons, he said.

Doesn't sound like tyranny to me, and I'm not seeing a reason to get worked up over it.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Doesn't sound like tyranny to me, and I'm not seeing a reason to get worked up over it.
    That's because you're not a "Prohibited Person" as determined by the state.

Your inalienable rights are not supposed to be decided by committee.

Shall not be infringed.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN

Wow BBI's. That is a CRAZY thing to say. By committee vote, or a bureaucrat's opinion, or in the judgement of a nurse with an axe to grind, you are therefore no longer a "proper person" and must surrender your personal property to the State. Your spouse must also surrender the personal property registered to them, even though they are "proper", and even though registration is a violation of Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 926 (FOPA).

There... how do you feel now. Can you hear the sound of tyranny yet?

What was it that Niemöller said... oh yeah, "first they came for the..."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sooo...we're against taking firearms away from mentally unstable people? Do you really want no mechanism in place to remove firearms from someone who's violently mentally ill BEFORE the tragedy happens?

I know someone who has a history of bipolar disorder. It's well-controlled, but because of the history, she had to go to a shrink to get a letter approving her for her LTCH. The one she was seeing was anti-gun, and thus, had she gotten a whiff that the young lady was seeking her license or afterward, had gotten it, there would have been a letter to the state telling them not to issue. She ended up seeking out and finding a different, pro-2A psychiatrist to write the letter, and was issued her license. No issues since, and she carries daily.

I am against taking guns away from any private citizen. If the citizen is so dangerous as to not be safe around guns, take the citizen away, under due process, to an asylum or a prison. I'm sure it's much easier to take things away from people than to take people away from things.... but if the person is so much of a risk, it shouldn't be too hard to prove it, even if the bar is set significantly high enough to avoid infringements of good peoples' rights.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I know someone who has a history of bipolar disorder. It's well-controlled, but because of the history, she had to go to a shrink to get a letter approving her for her LTCH. The one she was seeing was anti-gun, and thus, had she gotten a whiff that the young lady was seeking her license or afterward, had gotten it, there would have been a letter to the state telling them not to issue. She ended up seeking out and finding a different, pro-2A psychiatrist to write the letter, and was issued her license. No issues since, and she carries daily.

I am against taking guns away from any private citizen. If the citizen is so dangerous as to not be safe around guns, take the citizen away, under due process, to an asylum or a prison. I'm sure it's much easier to take things away from people than to take people away from things.... but if the person is so much of a risk, it shouldn't be too hard to prove it, even if the bar is set significantly high enough to avoid infringements of good peoples' rights.

Blessings,
    Bill

:+1: Excellent example and explanation of the issue. I would like to know where the asterisk is after the Second Amendment that allows the government to deny a constitutional right to selected persons. If anyone is too dangerous to have a full set of rights, that person is too dangerous to roam free.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill for the win! :+1:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

Yeah you see the problem is this would imply that I TRUST the government to decide who is wacko and who is perfectly fine. As a side note, have you ever lived in CA? You want whacked out freaks deciding who is going to have guns and who isn't? No - not a good idea. If this were to be of any real use there would have to be some kind of hard and fast rules that qualify you for having your guns TEMPORARILY in custody as you recover. You know hard and fast rules like you are committed to an institution.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    All it takes is a stroke of a pen by a "certified person" to deem someone mentally ustable whether they are or not. So basically now you can have your guns removed just
    for a nervous twitch or probably even having a prescription for anti depressants. Due process might as well be tossed out the window cause now if they want your guns they'll just deem you mental.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    If a person is dangerous enough to be considered unsafe around firearms, they need to also be prohibited from operating a 2000 pound missile, separated from knives, blunt objects, shall I go on?

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Sooo...we're against taking firearms away from mentally unstable people?

I'm a disabled combat vet, with my main compensation coming from PTSD. Am I unstable then?

They've already stated they feel we are potential right wing extremists, and they have also been on a witch hunt with PTSD.

While I admit I get extremely agitated, I am not a unstable person. However, if I go to my VA shrink and talk about my issues, the shrink could interpret what I say in whatever manner they wish. Now, with all that is going on with the mental health crap I'm scared to talk about anything. So if I don't go in, they could take that as me "losing it" or have a "cause for concern of welfare" and have the police come check on me.

Yes, they are dumping everyone into the pile without sorting. Yes, they want any excuse to disarm as many people as they "legally" can, especially patriots. And, yes, it is tyranny, and these are my/our rights on the line, so yes I'm getting worked up over it.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

Blessings,
    Bill

Exactly my point... if you are too dangerous to have a firearm, then what the hell are you doing on the street in society?

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    If someone calls you paranoid, correct them and say you are vigilant, not paranoid. Explain the difference if you have to. One who seeks to protect family and self from danger, known and unknown is vigilant, not paranoid.

Top Bottom