• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    we need a u.s. carry law it's been tried before, and congress is trying again, sorry don't remember the link, but I think it may have been on the NRA site

schhrdkncks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ohio county Indiana
    I don't want a U.S. carry law because I believe in states rights and the federal government was originally set up for the feds to have no say in this issue. If there was a US carry law then California could eventually have a say in our carry laws in Indiana. The more nationalized things become the more succeptible we become to NY and CA type laws.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    we need a u.s. carry law it's been tried before, and congress is trying again, sorry don't remember the link, but I think it may have been on the NRA site

The 2nd amendment should be sufficient U.S. carry law.

Laws are supposed to protect rights, not define privileges.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Be careful what you wish for.

From what I've read, the US Constitution IS our carry law. Let the Federal Government start regulating who can and who can't carry seems to me to be asking for trouble. I can see this effort easily turning into a federal license to carry.

Now, a simple requirement that each state recognize another state's permits, much like driver's licenses and marriage licenses, might be in order.

I'd still be skeptical with this. Anything over and above this could constitute a federal firearms violation.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The bad part of OH CC law is that signs have the force of law. Therefore, anyone can "create" a new law forbidding carrying a firearm in an establishment simply by putting up a sign. In Indiana, signs do not have the force of law, if you are carrying, you can be asked to leave. If you do not comply, then you are trespassing and can be charged accordingly. But not arrested outright simply by possessing a firearm inside a facility with a no-firearms sign.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils

As someone already said, be careful for what you wish.

Any such law would be a compromise package of legislation that would try to appease all states. For we Hoosiers, it would almost certainly mean:

• LTCH would be gone. We would go back to 4-5 year permits.
    • We would be required to pass a class and live fire to get a permit.
    • The cost for such a permit would go up at least 3x what we pay now.
    • Your permit would more resemble a driver's license, complete with image.
    • Minimum age would likely rise to 21.
    And, since politicians are always looking for something to give something, such legislation would probably be all-encompassing. That likely means:

• A 24-hour "cooling off" period to pick up any purchased gun.
    • No more than 1 gun purchase in a 72-hour period.
    • The end of gun shows.
    • The possible end of Internet sales.
    All of these and more are probable, not possible, if we go to a national permitting system. The citizens of some states, like Illinois, would think it to be Heaven. We here in Indiana, however, would be giving up a lot.

I'm all for trying to find more uniformity between states but let's think long and hard before we endorse a national permit.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We already have the law we need, but it's not upheld. Section 1 of Article IV of the Constitution requires all states to recognize the judgments of other states. That should guarantee reciprocity for a carry permit, but only to the extent that state's laws. An Indiana LTCH should allow carry in Ohio as long as Ohio laws are respected.

Personally, I don't want a national carry law. States rights are what is most important. I don't like Ohio's carry laws, but as long as they would recognize my right to carry, as recognized by Indiana and verified through the LTCH, I'm Ok with that. That's why we have different states. Ohio'ns can do what they want in their state, as long as they don't limit the rights guaranteed by the Constitution and here in Indiana, we can live our lives as we see fit.

But, they are required to recognize the legal decisions of other states. They cannot refuse to recognize an Indiana drivers license because they don't like the rules we have, and they should not be able to refuse to recognize an Indiana LTCH.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    The bad part of OH CC law is that signs have the force of law. Therefore, anyone can "create" a new law forbidding carrying a firearm in an establishment simply by putting up a sign. In Indiana, signs do not have the force of law, if you are carrying, you can be asked to leave. If you do not comply, then you are trespassing and can be charged accordingly. But not arrested outright simply by possessing a firearm inside a facility with a no-firearms sign.

The "duty to inform" is probably much worse. At least with the signs that are "properly posted" in accordance with the law, you can see them and avoid the situation.

When you are accosted by a cop that refuses to allow you to notify "promptly", you are in trouble.

Top Bottom