• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wonder why Ron Paul didn't vote? I'm sure he has a reason although it's probably not likely that I'll agree with it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    On July 31st, the House of Representatives passed a bill (261-116) that ends the consent process for [some] Presidential appointees by the U.S. Senate. The Senate passed this overwhelmingly in 2011. The President is expected to sign this into law.

Just curious, before we all drink the purple kool-aid, has everyone read the bill (I perused S.679 for my reading enjoyment)? The positions no longer requiring confirmation are not cabinet level positions, that I can see. For instance, the Treasurer of the United States is not the same thing as the Secretary of the Treasury.

I can't remember the last time when the nomination of the Appalachian Regional Commission; Alternate Federal Co-Chairman caused an enormous political firestorm. Maybe if BHO appointed Ahmadinejad it might.

Now it would have been really revolutionary (erm) if the bill had eliminated all of these positions. It probably would not have affected the operations of the federal government, and would have saved a few pennies to boot.

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    As unimportant as we may feel that some of these positions are...no doubt they have real effects on people and industry at a grass-roots level....I suspect that this will make it easier for the currently elected party to reward the loyal,and twist the arms of the opponents,without supervision....

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    As unimportant as we may feel that some of these positions are...no doubt they have real effects on people and industry at a grass-roots level....I suspect that this will make it easier for the currently elected party to reward the loyal,and twist the arms of the opponents,without supervision....
    I'm not sure how far down the food chain the advise and consent logically needs to go. IF Congress had simply eliminated all these positions, would people here be claiming that was an unconstitutional act?

I really doubt whether the Senate was paying all that much attention to the vast majority of nominees for these positions in the past.

And yes they are consequential, but that really goes to the sheer size and scope of present-day federal powers, and not whether or not the Senate confirms a few bureaucrats.

It's not like patronage doesn't exist in both parties, at all levels of government. I doubt whether having the Senate involved in this particular process made much of a dent one way or the other.

In any event, I'm still not convinced that this bill is a constitutional crisis. (Neither is it a reform of course.)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    First, I don't like that they did this. But let's take a breath. What they did, is not unconstitutional. They kind of admit that in the article. The Constitution says:
    but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

I object to the Congress giving away their power to what is already becoming an Imperial Presidency. Obama already thinks he can rule by Imperial Fiat and this will just further embolden him. Who knows what crackpot communists he will install in these positions without any oversight.

I was glad to see my Congressman, Marlin Stutzman, voted against it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    First, I don't like that they did this. But let's take a breath. What they did, is not unconstitutional. They kind of admit that in the article. The Constitution says:

I object to the Congress giving away their power to what is already becoming an Imperial Presidency. Obama already thinks he can rule by Imperial Fiat and this will just further embolden him. Who knows what crackpot communists he will install in these positions without any oversight.

I was glad to see my Congressman, Marlin Stutzman, voted against it.

Can you name a single dem appointment that the repubs have blocked? The dems are the only ones with enough stones to fillibuster or flat out refuse a vote over an opposing president. As I said before, repubs should love this. That way they can actually get their appointees seated.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Even if the constitutional for congress to give up this power, advising and consenting is a part of their costitututional duties. It should take precedence over all the unconstitutional bull **** they're doing now.

"Excuse me Mr.President. We're too busy doing things that's aren't our job to do our real job. Would you please do it for us?"

Top Bottom