• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Chris Murphy to NASCAR: Drop NRA sponsorship - Kevin Robillard - POLITICO.com

I know there was a thread somewhere about the NRA sponsoring the Texas NASCAR race. This Senator wants NASCAR to drop them because he says NASCAR is putting themselves into the political gun debate and picking sides, and the Newtown families want gun control.

I feel bad for the Newtown families that had children killed or mentally harmed, but I don't think that is a good reason to drop NRA race sponsorship. Also, NASCAR is a corporation...what is the difference in this corporation picking political sides and any other corporation picking sides?

Not to mention that the die-hard fanbase of NASCAR are already gun-totin' rednecks

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    How about NASCAR cancels all its Connecticut venues?

Or how about the Senator starts his own motor sports association, with Bloomberg dollars, and then he can decide who sponsors what.

What a dolt.

:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Devil's advocate: Remember when it was Winston Cup?

I think the difference is that cigarette smoking has kind of changed over the last couple decades, but gun ownership has certainly not.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    NASCAR has no partnership with the NRA. The NRA has an agreement with Texas Motor Speedway to sponsor their race. NASCAR is just showing up with the cars to go around the track.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I left him an email:

Dear Mr. Murphy,

Please keep your foolish ideas in your home state. NASCAR is a corporation and not a government entity. Your ideas on Gun Control are not universally acceptable nor is your attempt to bully a private American Corporation. I hope the people in your home state realize the folly of voting for a Democrat before they lose every right guaranteed to them and enumerated for them in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Thanks for listening.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    ...and here is the response from Senator Murphy:

Thank you for your email - I always appreciate hearing from concerned citizens, however, the mailing/residential address you noted in your message is not within the great state of Connecticut. Please visit U.S. Senate to find a listing of the Senator(s) from your state/jurisdiction to be sure your voice is heard by your elected representative(s).

Mos Eisley

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    ...and here is the response from Senator Murphy:

Thank you for your email - I always appreciate hearing from concerned citizens, however, the mailing/residential address you noted in your message is not within the great state of Connecticut. Please visit U.S. Senate to find a listing of the Senator(s) from your state/jurisdiction to be sure your voice is heard by your elected representative(s).

He could have just said "eff you," which is what that response is ever so politely saying.

:):

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Here is what I'd like to ask this jack@ss politician. What has the NRA done to warrant the desire to be excluded from spending money on sports sponsorship?

The NRA is an organization that promotes safe gun ownership. They don't defend these crazed wackos that go on shooting rampages, they don't promote illegal gun ownership, they simply promote responsible and safe firearms ownership. Hell, if I'm in a room with a bunch of people carrying, I'd feel safer knowing they've been through an NRA training class as opposed to some goofball that just went and bought a gun because he wants to be a cowboy.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Here is what I'd like to ask this jack@ss politician. What has the NRA done to warrant the desire to be excluded from spending money on sports sponsorship?

The NRA is an organization that promotes safe gun ownership. They don't defend these crazed wackos that go on shooting rampages, they don't promote illegal gun ownership, they simply promote responsible and safe firearms ownership. Hell, if I'm in a room with a bunch of people carrying, I'd feel safer knowing they've been through an NRA training class as opposed to some goofball that just went and bought a gun because he wants to be a cowboy.

He's playing to the peanut gallery.

Um, why are there still firearms manufacturers in that pathetic excuse for a state?

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Um, why are there still firearms manufacturers in that pathetic excuse for a state?

Great question. Maybe our state legislature should offer to give them a tax break for all moving expenses to relocate here. Jobs for Hoosiers, and many of us would welcome the manufacturers. Win-win.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I emailed him...

An acquaintance of mine emailed you recently regarding the decision by Texas Motor Speedway to accept the NRA as a title sponsor of the spring NASCAR race. Your reponse was...
    "Thank you for your email - I always appreciate hearing from concerned citizens, however, the mailing/residential address you noted in your message is not within the great state of Connecticut. Please visit U.S. Senate to find a listing of the Senator(s) from your state/jurisdiction to be sure your voice is heard by your elected representative(s)."
    So I am writing you in a similar attempt to assist you when you have complaints in the future that you wish to air.
    Texas Motor Speedway is located in Texas. Not in the great state of Connecticut. I suggest you trudge on down to their offices and make your voice heard.
    NASCAR HQ is located in Daytona Beach, FL and although they have satellite offices in North Carolina I assure you, those locations are far outside the great state of Connecticut. I reccommend you talk with the representatives from those states about this issue.
    I also considered that NASCAR's traveling circus might just visit the fine state of Connecticut at some point during their season, so I looked up the scedule for the Sprint Cup division. They visit Florida, Nevada, Arizona, Tennessee, California, Virginia, Texas, Kansas, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky, New Hanpshire, Indiana, New York, Georgia, and Illinois. Since none of those places is called the great state of Connecticut maybe you should direct your concerns to the elected senators or representatives from those states.
    I am thrilled I was able to assist you in directing your complaints to the appropriate people.

Top Bottom