• ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Perfectly stated, my friend.

I had one experience that I always bring up in my Personal Protection courses, which I think raises an important consideration regarding the responsibility of carrying a handgun.

One evening I volunteered to be the designated driver for two of my buddies who wanted to go to a local bar to see a popular band. Because I wouldn't be drinking, I decided to carry my EDC, a Kimber Pro Carry (1st gen.) in a belt slide holster under a sport coat.

During the evening, my buddies ended out on the dance floor (having succeeded in their in pursuit of female attention) and told me they wouldn't need a ride from me. So I was standing alone with my back to the bar watching the band. There was a birthday celebration going on at a table between me and the stage, and the participants were getting pretty intoxicated (lots of Jagerbombs and shots of Patron being consumed). They were seated and I'm 6'4", so it was easy for me to watch the band over their heads. Unfortunately, the "birthday boy," who by now had his tie wrapped around his head "Kamikaze style," at some point decided that I was looking at his wife/girfriend/whatever who was seated directly between me and the lead singer of the band. (I wasn't, primarily because she wasn't very attractive - she was just in my line of sight.)

So the drunken Samurai warrior got up and came over to confront me. He started screaming profanity at me and calling me "a pervert," among other things. He then started poking me in the chest with a forefinger (something I really hate), telling me how badly he was going to kick my ass. Three of his friends also got up to stand around him and stare me down.

Now I don't want to underestimate any opponent and these guys might all have been Krav Maga instructors, but I was fairly confident that that wasn't the case. And they were extremely intoxicated. And Mr. Samurai, who was about 6 inches shorter than me, was in a perfect position for a right elbow strike to the face. He was also making unlawful contact with me (a battery) and threatening to inflict serious bodily injury upon me, which legally justified said elbow strike. (Having said that, I never really felt in jeopardy of serious bodily injury and I never even considered accessing my handgun.)

In fact, I started thinking about the ramifications of the fact that there was a gun on my hip. Because of its presence there - and my decision to carry it to the bar - I had now brought a handgun to a potential fist fight. And I realized that that fact created important responsibilities on my part. Specifically, if I took a well-deserved shot at Samurai and ended up rollng around on the floor with one or more of his buddies, I would either have to continue the fight one-handed or risk losing retention of my firearm. I didn't like either of those options. For exactly that reason, the fact that I was carrying a gun now signifcantly limited my options, and I decided that I couldn't take that shot at Samurai.

As much as I hated it, I squeezed around the group, ignoring their continued taunts, and left the bar. I have never felt like such a wimp in my life. I had done nothing to provoke them. I'd been insulted, taunted, threatened, and physically touched. But I honestly felt that, because of the responsibilities that arose from the fact that I was carrying a gun, I felt my only option was to disengage.

In retrospect, I really don't need to be getting into bar fights at this stage of my life, and it's probably best that the evening ended the way that it did. But at the time, I hated having to walk away.

In the end, I think this experience highlights an important factor to consider - carrying a gun can sometimes limit your self-defense options instead of expanding them - if you take your responsibilities seriously.

Guy

I have been in a similar situation at a bar. Handled it the same way....and felt the same way after. So I agree that can be a "con"....other than that as long as you are responsible and trained is all pros for me.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Well, let's see. There are others:

Carrying can affect your clothing choices in several different ways, particularly if you want to carry concealed. You may have to buy pants that are bigger than your normal size if you want to carry IWB. You may have to wear outer clothing (e.g., an unbuttoned shirt) in order to conceal your gun even though it's hot outside.

Some carry positions can be uncomfortable, particularly when seated.

Some people will immediately draw baseless assumptions about you because you carry, including, but not limited to: you're paranoid and afraid; you're blood-thirsty; you're a wimp who cannot defend himself "like a real man"; you're compensating for some sexual or physical deficiency; you're a cop wannabe.

Closely associated with the last point, some people just have an inherent dislike and/or fear of guns, and they will often transfer those feelings to you because you carry.

It can be inconvenient to "disarm" if you need to go someplace you can't carry (e.g., the post office, your kid's school, etc.) or don't want to carry (e.g., the gym), which also raises questions about whether it's smart to leave your gun unsecured in your car or elsewhere.

It can cause inconvenience and delay if you're pulled over by a LEO while carrying, depending on how the stop goes (as discussed in several current threads).

It can make you look fatter than you really are (depending on your carry method).

It can pull your pants down on one side (or both), making you look sloppy, particularly if you don't have a good gun belt.

It can affect how and where you sit in publc - if you're concerned about "printing" through your clothing.

It will cause an overwhelming fear of 5-year-old girls.

And, importantly, if you fall in a lake it is more likely that you'll drown with several pounds of steel, brass and lead on your belt. ;) That is, unless you carry a Glock - they can actually be used as plastic flotation devices.

Guy

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Lucky, I don't agree with you.

It sounds to me like ou are suggesting that the Gov't should be further restricting some individuals rights, based on some 'greater knowlege' of their perceived ability.

It's not up to you, me, or anyone else. In a free society, we are given the rights to do certain things, and given the right to screw that up. If we drive drunk & kill someone, we lose our license & go to jail. If we commit a felony or a violent crime with a firearm, we lose the right to own one.

Just because you aren't sure if you are capable, doesn't mean we should not give EVERYBODY the chance to prove themselves capable.

Actually no, I am not suggesting that the government step in and regulate anything.

I am stating that not everyone who owns a gun is responsible enough to carry one. I think its unfortunate that people take their rights for granted, and exercise a right that they are not responsible or ready to handle, because it is those people who increase the chance for capable people to exercise those rights.

I would never encourage anyone who isn't fully aware of how much responsibility is associated with carrying a firearm especially if they are not mature enough to handle those responsibilities.

You can encourage people who aren't ready to go out and get a LTCH and try to convince them that carrying is their right and they should exercise it before we all lose it, but when the number of accidental discharges starts to increase, or when a couple of them who are a little off kilter pull it the next time they get into a drunken rage at a house party, you can be sure that it will push action for regulation a lot faster than a 2% decrease in LTCH's in a 12 month time span.

I don't want the government to step in, I would rather the community stepped in and lead by example and made clear that carrying a handgun is a BIG RESPONSIBILITY.

Look around at how many parents are texting and driving in the car and setting the example for their 14 and 15yo kids. What do you think those kids will be doing with their Iphones once they get behind the wheel?

You see the campaigns all over now "Don't text and drive"... why do you think that is? If there wasn't a significant increase in traffic accidents by youths who are texting in driving, there would be no slogan. Right now its campaign adds that profess the dangers of using your smartphone while driving... but if that doesn't push down the accident rate... What do you think will be the next step?? Easy... regulation! Tickets, fines, increased insurance rates etc.. etc... etc...

Same thing that will happen with LTCH.

I applaud the OP for making this thread, because he is taking the initiative to research before he takes on that responsibility.

Im not a left wing extremist... I fully plan to get my LTCH whether I decide to carry or not. And I will be getting a lifetime permit because I understand my rights and I don't want to see those taken away. But that doesn't mean that I believe EVERYONE should be carrying a gun just because its their right.

I see knuckleheads who are incapable of exercising their rights responsibly and they will be the ones who ruin it for us all.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I keep thinking of more: carrying can be very expensive for several different reasons, including:

I typically buy three holsters (per gun) for every one that I end up liking to use on a consistent basis. There are many reasons for that, most often comfort, but also concealabilty, access, retention and ease of draw. Most folks should also invest in a quaility gun belt and mag holders.

My personal experience is that most folks who carry feel the need to both practice more (range time, ammo) and train more (course tuition, travel, ammo) than folks who don't carry. While I think that both practice and training are critical to being a responsible gun owner (and carrier), the expense can be significant.

Folks who carry are also more likely to spend the money for multiple guns, since they're balancing caliber, size, weight, capacity, and concealability in ways that are mostly irrelevant to folks who only want a home defense firearm.

Guy

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I agree with the training. As far as responsibility goes, TFT gave a great true life experience in his post. TFT, I think it was great you walked away from that. I would have done the same.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Lucky, thanks for the clarification. I don't think everybody should carry, but I don't think people should be stopped from the right to carry, unless they prove that they are stupid by doing something stupid..

Guy, thanks for the story about the bar, it is definitely true, that we have to be very careful, once we take on the responsibility.

Love machine, I think you are dead on. I really think I became a calmer driver once I started carrying. I don't know if it is the added responsibility knowing that I can't lose my temper, or the realization that "You never know,...who's ga-ga-ga-ga-gotta-gun..."

(Side trivia note: who's the author of that quote?)

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I keep my guns locked in my car trunk (though I do have a carry permit). It strikes the right balance for me between accessibility and comfort. I luckily don't live in a neighborhood where I'd worry about keeping one in my bedroom.

still I am always somewhat near my car whether at home or not.

I more often carry a taser or keep it handy in the car

I hope you never need it in a hurry. If you do you're toast.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I hope you never need it in a hurry. If you do you're toast.
    Well, you know, his comfort level is his comfort level.

The only thing I wouyld say is, I live in a very nice, very safe neighborhood in Brownsburg, but I still have loaded weapons at the ready at all times. If you think bad things don't happen in nice places, you are only fooling yourself.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    Lucky, I don't agree with you.

It sounds to me like ou are suggesting that the Gov't should be further restricting some individuals rights, based on some 'greater knowlege' of their perceived ability.

It's not up to you, me, or anyone else. In a free society, we are given the rights to do certain things, and given the right to screw that up. If we drive drunk & kill someone, we lose our license & go to jail. If we commit a felony or a violent crime with a firearm, we lose the right to own one.

Just because you aren't sure if you are capable, doesn't mean we should not give EVERYBODY the chance to prove themselves capable.

I agree with this fully. :+1:To you my friend

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    I have been debating for quite a while now whether or not I should carry. I know this isn't the best place to ask if I should , it will obviously be yes. The question I could ask though are what are the cons for cc?

My biggest concern is the mental aspect of it. It takes a large amount of responsibility to carry a fire arm. Right now I don't have the stress involved with carrying a firearm and worry if I do it will change the way I think on a day to day basis. Once a firearm is on your person do you become paranoid at any level? Alsways suspecting people when other wise you would not have?

Am I over analyzing this? Is it something you get used to and it doesn't cross your mind? I would want to essentially "forget" it's there in day to day life but not sure I could personally. Thoughts?
    "I would want to essentially "forget" it's there in day to day life but not sure I could personally. Thoughts?"

I've been carrying concealed everyday, except days when I fly out on business, for 14 years, both in Colorado & Indiana.

At this point, based on your overall comments and the line above I don't know if you are ready to carry? I say this because, it is more than strapping on iron and putting a concealing garment on. The biggest part is the mindset. It is a responsibilty and potential liability, if something goes askew. The committment for the mindset, training, etc. it is alot to prepare and handle.

I have a brother-inlaw with some of the same concerns as you. He is great guy, hunter, has owned guns for 30 yrs. etc. However, he is really happy go-lucky guy, not overly serious person, he is pondering getting his CC license, but I don't think he really wants what he would preceive as the "pressure & responsiblity" of the daily committment.

Sound familar?

If you don't have the committment...all the way...half baked could get you killed!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    If you have three or four year old children around and they run up to give you a hug their head is at the perfect height to bonk themselves silly on the gun. Just ask my granddaughter.

Learn to turn to the opposite side when you see a kid running to you for a loving hug.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Yes it does sound familiar. I don't know if I am ready either. I am not going to carry unless I am 100% ready to take on the responsibility. Its not something I personally feel should be done half ass. I think too many people carry just because they think guns are cool and because it's their right. I plan on attending classes to educate my self more. I need to find out more facts and ask myself if I can handle it.

On the other side of the coin, I have my family to protect. Is there a point where my personal stress levels must be put aside in order to do what I feel is right?

"I would want to essentially "forget" it's there in day to day life but not sure I could personally. Thoughts?"

I've been carrying concealed everyday, except days when I fly out on business, for 14 years, both in Colorado & Indiana.

At this point, based on your overall comments and the line above I don't know if you are ready to carry? I say this because, it is more than strapping on iron and putting a concealing garment on. The biggest part is the mindset. It is a responsibilty and potential liability, if something goes askew. The committment for the mindset, training, etc. it is alot to prepare and handle.

I have a brother-inlaw with some of the same concerns as you. He is great guy, hunter, has owned guns for 30 yrs. etc. However, he is really happy go-lucky guy, not overly serious person, he is pondering getting his CC license, but I don't think he really wants what he would preceive as the "pressure & responsiblity" of the daily committment.

Sound familar?

If you don't have the committment...all the way...half baked could get you killed!

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    The responsibility part of it is being competent enough to recognize when you actually need to use it in a dire life threatening situation. I think some basic and mental training scenarios can help significantly but nothing can prepare you for the real life situation. There are just to many variables.
    Speaking for myself, the only temporary - I would see for me, would be getting used to the extra weight and finding a comfortable way to carry.

jwhites4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    The day I turned 21 I asked myself the same question pretty much. I decided that my life is worth more to me than it is to anyone else. I decided to carry not only to defend myself and family, but to also help protect the citizens of this great state that don't exercise their right to carry. I put down some money on classes and training and got some of the best training from my father who served in the Army. I now carry everyday and every hour of everyday. I have decided to not go places that restrict carry (Colts games, State Fair, ect.).

You have to decide if you are willing to squeeze the trigger when SHTF, to take some human's life to protect your own. You also need to be willing to spend some time in jail for doing nothing wrong and be able to fight your side in court, as well as pay a lawyer to represent you. People on here can't tell you either way if you should or shouldn't carry a weapon, only you can make that choice. The most an outsider can do is tell you why they do or don't. It's up to you.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    This year are started to CC full time again. I am better but not great. Certainly feeling good enough that I don't want someone to take my life . . .

I think you inadvertently provided an idea that everyone should consider:

If you feel good about yourself, or about your family members, you probably don't want a bad guy to take your life, or the lives of members of your family. Therefore, why would anyone consider placing themselves in a position where they are unable to prevent that?

Bad Guys do Bad Things. It is their defining quality. We read nearly every day about someone being murdered: in a random street robbery; a robbery at a store/restaurant/ATM; a rape; home invasion, etc. These things happen even in "nice" areas - they are not limited to 38th and College.

While it may make you initially temporarily "uncomfortable" to carry a handgun, imagine how "uncomfortable" you would be for the rest of your life if you could only watch helplessly as your wife or child were murdered because you had decided it wasn't worth the trouble to carry your handgun.

It has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment or paranoia. It has everything to do with caring enough about yourself and your loved ones to protect them to the best of your ability.

If someone thinks that "the best of your ability" means a harsh stare, strong words, and a stern warning to stop, then they are certainly welcome to use those methods to defend their family.

Others of us are convinced that these methods may possibly not be foolproof.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    New Castle
    Yes, it does take a large amount of responsibility to carry a fire arm.

When I originally started carrying I felt like I had a sign on my back that read "I have a gun!" Plus, I also had the new feeling of just carrying. Once I got used to it I no longer felt the physical and mental weight of the gun anymore.

The cons for CC is just how quickly you can get to your EDC should you need it.

I don't think you are over analyzing anything, its just not normal to carry one. Once you start, it will be second nature! You might even feel naked without it!
    well put there are only 8 days a month that i dont feel naked, F***ing work place that does not allow firearms

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Not everyone is suited to carry a handgun. I put myself in that category. After many attempts at carrying I decided I just didn't like the way I felt out in public with my EDC at my side. Also, having a very anti-gun family that refuses to be around guns that are not locked up in a safe doesn't help matters and just made me more uncomfortable when I tried to carry knowing I had to hide it from them.

So at this point I am content to use my guns for home security only and pray that I get another 50 years without incident.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I say try it, see how it feels for you.
    If you don't think its something you can get used to don't do it.

Your the only one who can make the decision.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I also think carrying a gun is a HUGE responsibility. And I am not of the opinion that just anyone should carry a pistol because it is there right to do so. The same way that its unfortunate just anyone can drive a car. I think that there are far to few people out there who understand their responsibilities.

I don't feel like an 18yo who purpose in life is partying is a good candidate to carry a weapon... no more than I do a 16yo girl whose only concern is her iphone and tennis shoes should operate a vehicle.

There has to be a line where you have become so mature, capable and focused that you feel that you are no longer pose any hazard to society.

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for freedoms.... and i am glad to see that I'm not the only one who recognizes the weight of carrying a gun. The responsibility is on the individual regardless of age or behavior. But as corny as it may sound... Spidermans uncle is right... with great power comes responsibility and having a pistol on your hip is a powerful thing.

I plan to get my LTCH very soon for many reasons... but I have no plans to carry a gun until I am 100% sure that should the situation arise that I need to pull it, I am capable of making the correct actions and decision. The last thing I want is to lose my life (or accidentally take the life of an innocent bystander) pulling a pistol in a situation where I could have taken the path of least resistance and lived to tell the tale.

I think you are slightly confused here... first you state:
    I don't feel like an 18yo who purpose in life is partying is a good candidate to carry a weapon...

Then you continue on to say:
    The responsibility is on the individual regardless of age or behavior.

Which is it? do you think 18 year old's should be given the right, or have their god-given, constitutionally guaranteed rights removed?

I for one think our government has stripped far too many of our rights as it is. I was one of those 18 year old persons that had my LTCH, carried on a regular basis, and guess what, no blood in the streets, no negligent discharges, no intimidation or anything else.

If an 18 year old can vote, and be drafted to go to war and die for his or her country, then by God they should damn well be able to carry a handgun on there person for their own protection!

Top Bottom