Considering a Crossbow - Any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The 3-inch group at 50yds is more like what I've heard from others who own them. A close friend of mine who I hunt with frequently owns a Centerpoint but I don't know which model. He says the only thing he doesn't like about it is that the only way to de-cock it is to fire it. So he carries a bolt with a field tip and discharges it into the ground after the hunt.

To decock it i just remove the bolt. Set up my cocking rope and hold both handles with 1 hand. Switch safety off, pull trigger and gently let it go back decocked. Ive had no issues doing it this way. I could maybe see it as an issue for someone with limited strength however

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    To decock it i just remove the bolt. Set up my cocking rope and hold both handles with 1 hand. Switch safety off, pull trigger and gently let it go back decocked. Ive had no issues doing it this way. I could maybe see it as an issue for someone with limited strength however

I do something similar. I only hold the left side handle and let the right side slide down tight. I then use my right hand to release safety and pull trigger. Less of a chance of the handle slipping holding only 1 and not 2. I have shortened the rope to where it applies some tension on the string in the uncocked position, which makes this a little easier.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My crossbow has anti dry fire .... cannot pull trigger without a bolt in it.

On mine you have to flip a switch while at the same time move the safety to fire. Without a bolt in position you cannot flip safety to fire position without holding the switch at the same time

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have Mission MXB320. Entry level from high end brand. Quieter, faster and better than any I’ve fired. I robin hooded a bolt at 60 yards, with the entry level model. Not bad for the price. Thinking about the raven r9 now though

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I have a nice Ten Point and enjoy hunting and shooting it very much. I bought it primarily for turkey hunting about 3 years ago. It may make its inaugural appearance deer hunting this weekend. I’m pretty experienced with it and wouldn’t consider shooting at an animal beyond 40y. I do some target work at 50y and find the group opens up considerably at that distance. Target work at 20-30y I won’t shoot the same spot twice because robin hooding a bolt is likely. Very accurate. That said, my son wanted a crossbow, so he got a Barnet Recruit. It’s just as fast and accurate as my Ten Point at half the price. If I had it to do over, I’d strongly consider that route. If you want to kill deer at 80y, get a rifle.

The compound guys that poo poo crossbows don’t realize the recurve guys say the same crap about them. The recurve guys get picked on by spear chuckers. Spear chuckers are delegitimized by guys that hunt barefoot in loinclothes. All silliness. Get a crossbow and have a blast!

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Got into crossbow game this year. Got a wicked ridge something. Called ten point 2x w questions and am very impressed w their helpfulness.

I am really surprised at how much fun I find deer hunting w it. Often find myself w site on target thinking "if this was a gun" and really enjoying watching the animals. Got 2 this year

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I know a lot of recurve shooters, most also compound shooters......and some even crossbow.
    Don't really give a flip what people use.
    The upset of some tends to come from the P&Y stuff.....where a private group had their own rules and caved to public pressure.

As for X bows, Ten Point and Ravin seem to be the ones most liked. Next would be Mission.

Buddy had an Excaliber. Shot great. Another has a Parker and he seems happy with the performance per dollar.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Personally, I hunt with a Barnett brotherhood. Along with rage broadheads it's been an effective bow, very accurate out to 40yrds ( I haven't tried going out past 40 yet) it is also decently priced. Just my opinion.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    IF I was going to buy a crossbow today it would be the Wicked Ridge (by TenPoint) RDX 400. Great reverse limb crossbow and a decent price.e..

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Excalibur Micro - excellent little bow - no cams to worry about, lifetime warranty, and they say you can change your string in the treestand, but I wouldn't recommend it.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    Excalibur Micro - excellent little bow - no cams to worry about, lifetime warranty, and they say you can change your string in the treestand, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've not used this but my buddy has. He loves the simplicity of it and how compact it is. It definitely piqued my interest but all my money is going to compound accessories right now as that's the kick I'm currently on!

Top Bottom