Considering a Llama .45...anyone know about these?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    So, as well as a .357 revolver, I'm considering purchasing a .45 pistol sometime. Local shop has a Llama .45 for sale, but I'd like to know from someone who has the knowledge whether or not these are worth the buy, as far as durability, accuracy and such.

Anyone out there know?:runaway:

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have a foreman here at work that has a Llama 45 and he acts like it is not that great of a gun. I have no experience with them so I can not comment. I will suggest that as long as you buy quality guns you can usually get your money back out of them when you buy right. A good gun will always have a market. If it were me and I could afford to, I would stick with well known brands. There are many that make 1911 style pistols that are considered to be better than Llama.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Not known for accuracy, or quality, or durability. Some were not so bad, many were aweful. In some models the parts are not readily interchangeable. My Llama Officer model I sold for under $100 just to get rid of it.

Get a Rock Island or a Taurus instead.

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    An old friend of mine had one several years ago and got rid of it because it was grouping horrible. I thought it was him but several good shooters tried it and agreed.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Not known for accuracy, or quality, or durability. Some were not so bad, many were aweful. In some models the parts are not readily interchangeable. My Llama Officer model I sold for under $100 just to get rid of it.

:+1: Must agree!!! I had one for a very short period of time and dubbed it the "Jam-O-Matic" :patriot:

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    Yes i also had one and i did jam from the factory. I had to polish the feed ramp and barrel and after that it feed just fine but not the mast accurate of guns. if i was you i would wait and save a little more and get something better.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I had one, shot in once, maybe a mags worth and sold it.. Happy I got out of it without a loss.. For the right price it might make an interesting project base but I imagine one might end up replacing every component before it shot respectably.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The manufacterer, Gabilondo Llama y Cia SA, has been defunct since 1999. There was a ragtag group that got together and tried to soldier on but they too went bellyup around 2003.

Would not consider a Llama pistol for anything I had to depend on; maybe as an "extra" or a "spare" if one was practically given to me.

pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    phenix,

There is a good XD45 on the For Sale on tis site. Buy the best and be happy.

A good idea!:yesway:

Thanks for all the information, friends! Was poking about a local shop today...they had several XDs, one Rock Island, two Colts and an HK on display; it was all I could do to keep from drooling!:patriot:

rj3438

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    I had a Llama .45 as my first handgun because it was cheap. I traded it at a loss as soon as I could. Feeding was inconsistent and accuracy was consistently poor.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I bought one years ago...like late 80's.....piece of JUNK! A buddy of mine later bought on of the Llama Omnis, even after I tried to talk him out of it. Jammed every 3rd or 4th shot...he sold it quick.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Had one and sold it. It shot well and grouped well enough for me to carry as an off-duty gun. The guy that bought it later told met he front sight fell off. That's the only gripe he had about it. For the most part, I'd stick with something a little more in the mainstream just for parts sake.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I had a Llama .45 years ago and got rid of it as soon as I could afford a better weapon. It had either an FTF or an FTE at least once every magazine. While there are some good Spanish made pistols out there (Star is an excellent example) Llama isn't one of them!

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Llama Just say no!!!! Get a colt or if ya want somethin to conceal Taurus has a great compact for under 400 bones. My brother just got one and it shoots great 1" groups at 25 meters....

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON

:yesway: I agree. You might look for a used Springfield, also.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I guess I'm one of the few that like mine and has had good luck with it. I have never had a problem with it. It is more accurate than I.
    But I'll admit that there are better 1911's out there.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    So you're the one ?!?!? :laugh: :D :yesway:

:): It seems to be:): My Dad bought one at the same time as me, and he had to get his feed ramp polished so it would feed hollow points.

Of course I don't have thousands of rounds thru mine either (probaly less than 1,000). So time will tell. I bought the gun about 9 years ago.

Top Bottom