Considering a pocket pistol, advice please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just as the title suggests, I'm considering a pocket pistol for times when it is too hard to carry a full size gun. One thing I find very troublesome is the 320 and 380 ammo that comes in most of the pocket pistols. In fact I have a nice AMT DAO Back Up pocket pistol, but even with the best 380 ammo I feel it is an underwhelming choice. The AMT is also a heavy little gun and with all the tactical tupperware available I figured maybe now is the time to shop for a replacement for the little DAO Back Up that sits in the safe.

What is the BEST, money is no object, pocket pistol on the market today. I want something that will slip into my front pocket, fits in the palm of my hand, and packs a much punch as possible. Preferably a 9mm. With that criteria, the small Kahr PM9 is too big. I am looking for a true pocket gun.

Thoughts?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White Wolf, The Rohrbaugh was recommended to me by a dealer friend of mine in Pennsylvania about a year ago, but I wasn't serious about buying back then. I've looked them over and they are well made, high quality guns, but I don't really know the pocket pistol market so I don't know what else is available.

Here is a link to Rohrbaugh Firearms: Rohrbaugh Firearms

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Rohrbaugh R9

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet but I've handled a few and was very impressed with the build quality and attention to detail. 9mm about as small as you can get.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Interesting... I have never seen one of those.

Rohrbaugh R9

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet but I've handled a few and was very impressed with the build quality and attention to detail. 9mm about as small as you can get.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well, that is why there are so many .380 pocket guns circulating, I do not know of a 9mm pocket gun other than the Rohrbaugh R9! The Kahr is the only close one, and I agree that it is too big for pocket carry.

If there are any other options I'd live to hear them as I'm going to end up with a LCP otherwise. Can't afford the Rohrbaugh R9, and it would kill me to get one and then not be able to shoot it much as they recommend.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    $1100? Or so I think.

Edit - found them for as low as $999.00 so a little less than I thought. Someone wants to buy me one I'd love em' forever, but otherwise I will never own one.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yea to steep for me too, but they are supposed to be awesome.

No offense guys, but in my first post I specifically asked this question: What is the BEST, money is no object, pocket pistol on the market today. My logic is simple, if I am going to consider downgrading my carry gun's caliber for the simple sake of 'convenience' then I have come to the conclusion that I can't downgrade it all the way to a caliber that I don't feel comfortable with, nor am I willing to go with a gun that may be reliable.

So I'm not sure that I will buy a pocket pistol but if I do, the price tag won't be considered. What will be considered is caliber and quality/reliability. What I do know is that I don't feel comfortable with the 380, and that is largely why my AMT DAO Back Up pistol is virtually NIB.

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    So what if they comment on the price. You are looking for the best money can buy.. You are getting some feedback here and some guys comment on the price. No big deal. Its a discussion forum.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Actually I'm looking for the regardless of the cost. High cost does not always mean the best quality. I'm looking for the best pocket pistol so I can consider if it fits my desires. What I don't want to see is the thread simply getting hung up on a price issue, and the cost of the R9 has become an issue that is being discussed.

I'm still wondering if the gun is the best choice. Perhaps a J Frame (as suggested by esrice) revolver in 357 may be a better choice? Or perhaps there are other options that simply have not been mentioned yet?

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Sounds like the Rohrbaugh might be a good option. I'm afraid I don't know enough in this department to offer advice.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm afraid I don't know enough in this department to offer advice.
    And that is my problem too. I simply don't know much about these little guns because they generally have not interested me. I own one, I don't trust the caliber, consequently I don't carry it. Maybe with more modern ammo the 380 may be a better cartridge than it was when I bought the little AMT? Again I don't know that either.

The little guns now appeal to me more because I am retired and am dressing more casually than before so concealed carry is a bit more of an issue.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think what we were saying is that as far as we know the R-9 is IT, as in I know of nothing else that fits what you are asking for. Pricey sure, but if it works it may be just what you need. The only other options are a j frame and Kahr, and you mentioned Kahr as being out so that leaves the other two.

J frame is still big for my pockets in jeans, maybe in slacks it would be better.

The only real downside of the price is that there are not all that many around, and I bet they are pretty scarce in Indiana! :):

Go here and see how they stack up as far as reliability goes. All in all, if I could foot the bill I think I would own one, so this may be just what you are looking for.

The Rohrbaugh Forum - Index

The only good resource that I know of.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    There's a lengthy article in the new "American Handgunner" by Roy Huntington on the Rohrbaugh pistols. If money really is no object, it looks as if this'd be the one.

Top Bottom