• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm not sure what pistol to use. Minor or major? I already have an XDm in .40 and a G23. I think these would be classified as major? If I shot major I might as well shoot with one of my 1911's or my HK USP45(although reloads would not be friendly considering mag release placement). Or better to buy a G17 and shoot minor? I have no 9mm pistols. Thoughts and advice?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Suggest you puruse the uspsa.org website and the rules for a description of the different divisions.

Your .40 xdm, G23, and HK would make major. They would be good guns to use in either the Limited division (where you load mags to capacity and score major) or in production division (where you load mags to 10 rounds and everyone scores minor regardless of caliber).

The 1911 is ideal for Single Stack division (created just for 1911s).

Buying a G17 would you would most likely want to play in production division, but you could also use it in Limited, just scoring minor.

I always suggest you come out and shoot a few matches with whatever gear you already have before investing in guns/gear. Once you get a feel for what the different divisions are like and which division you'd like to play in, then buy gear if you still need it. The most important thing is to take the leap and get to a match! The gear doesn't matter that much.

-rvb

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    Well you already know where to check out the rules at this point. A friend started shooting with us here at Warsaw a couple years ago with an XDM .40, he basically used what came with the gun and started in limited division. The only thing extra he bought to get started was a 3rd magazine. As RVB stated, get to a match and shoot. You can see what folks are using in other division and talk to them about their gear. Then if you think you'd rather play in another division with different gear go for it. I promise any club in Indiana will be glad to have you shoot with them.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    build an open gun then go shoot uspsa. thats where I messed up. I started with what I already had and it pissed me off!
    :spend::spend::spend:

I started by shooting my carry gun in Production and still ended up buying another one for a dedicated production gun. With 2 production guns (M&P9's), all my gear (holster, carriers, mags, belt) and my entire reloading setup, I've still spent less than it would cost to build an open gun!! :laugh:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I recommend shooting what you have long enough to get the lay of the land and figure out the rules of the game. Then, armed with some knowledge, you can decide how you want to proceed.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I always suggest you come out and shoot a few matches with whatever gear you already have before investing in guns/gear. Once you get a feel for what the different divisions are like and which division you'd like to play in, then buy gear if you still need it. The most important thing is to take the leap and get to a match! The gear doesn't matter that much.

Listen to the above advice.....I was in the same position you were last year and that's what i did. I shot a 45 in single stack just to get the flavor of the game. After shooting a few matches, I decided the move from single stack to something else would be a little more enjoyable for me. I even bought some gear ahead of time to get my feet wet (belt, mag pouches, holster). Wait on that stuff until you attend a match or two. I wasted a little money by buying the accessories and then realizing it wasn't the best stuff to use in matches. Shoot what you have this year to get a feel for what you like. Then in the fall or winter, if you decide you would like to shoot a different class, then you know what works for other people and will have some preferences on gear. There is almost always someone (including myself) on here that will loan gear to a new shooter. New shooters are what keep this sport going. I was amazed at how welcoming and helpful people were/are in the community. Come on out and give it a go.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I shoot USPSA and steel there.
    Look me up I'm one of the idiots shooting a revolver. Usually only a couple of us.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'd be shooting at the Silver Creek Conservation Club in Sellersburg. Anyone else shoot there?

Boss Hoss is so nurturing that he is almost like a mammary gland, definitely a great person for any new person to shoot with.

If you are going to Silver Creek, they also shoot IDPA there (it is a lot more fun but you are not sposed to mention that on forums and stuff).

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    not true, you are perfectly welcome to express your opinion, even when wrong!

:p

-rvb

Don't underestimate the fun factor of playing Tactical Operator dress-up and easily winning HOA. ;)

To the OP - Bosshoss is good people. Look for the guy with the 8-shot revolver pellet gun. :):

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Boss Hoss is so nurturing that he is almost like a mammary gland, definitely a great person for any new person to shoot with.

Did you just call me a BOOB?:draw:

If you are going to Silver Creek, they also shoot IDPA there (it is a lot more fun but you are not sposed to mention that on forums and stuff).

According to IDPA RULES you can't say bad things about the sport or people involved in it, SO I would take that to mean you can't say anything positive about it either***** REPORTED*****:rules:

Top Bottom