• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm watching the debate as to whether or not we should continue to be ruled by the Constitution, or whether we are going to become a Soviet state... otherwise referred to as the health care debate.

A Congressman just pointed out that there are enough states adamantly opposed to this bill, and planning to sue over the bill if it becomes law, to call a Constitutional Convention if they choose to go that route instead.

This could be a very dangerous course of action, one capable of leading to the end of our Union. Or, it could result in the federal government having the limits imposed on it that the Constitution originally intended.

Very dangerous.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yep. This would be an absolutely terrible time for a Constitutional Convention. Then again, any time in most of our lifetimes would be a terrible time for a Constitutional Convention. The people that have been elected to positions of power do not have the mindset that our Founders had nor the respect for liberty.

All of what we know of law would be on the chopping block; this would be the same as a "regime change".... the war won without firing a shot.

Well, at least the bureaucratic portion of the war. We all know the aftermath and hopefully, everyone shares my desire to not have it get that far.

Blessings,
    Bill

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It will be intersting to say the least.

If the 38 or so states who think this is a blatent violation of states' rights, among other things, decide to press the issue, I would not doubt for a minute that the Federal Government will temporarily back down and "promise" never to do it again. Of course that promise will be just as empty as all the rest.

I really can't see an all out seceding of states in this day an age. Too much at stake for too many of them based on the global economy.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    If a Constitutional Convention could be called, which and how many persons would represent each state?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    If a Constitutional Convention could be called, which and how many persons would represent each state?

Don't know the numbers...and the states likely don't either. My guess is the legislatures of the several states would agree on number of persons, then elect them from their own ranks.

While the end of the "union" as it exists now could be a good thing in some ways under the right circumstances, my guess is that nothing good for liberty would come out of such a convention, and most of the protections in the current Constitution would be thrown out. The first to fall would likely be the Second Amendment, with the First close behind.:twocents:

What a sad day for the world that would be.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You guys act as though the results of a convention could be any worse than what we have now. Just like there is no such thing as a little bit pregnant, there is no such thing as a little bit of tyranny.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    A Con Con is the absolutely last thing that anyone with thier head screwed on right would want.

The entire Constitution can be re-written, which means that the 2nd could be written out.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    A Con Con is the absolutely last thing that anyone with thier head screwed on right would want.

The entire Constitution can be re-written, which means that the 2nd could be written out.

Where have you been the last several years? "CAN" be rewritten? "2ND" can be written out? They've written out "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" at the very least.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

What difference does that make? The Constitution was just voted out. We just became a Soviet nation... do you really think the government is going to abide by the 2A when they decide they are in a position to override it? They just ignored 70% of the American people.... they do not respect, or fear us.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I really can't see an all out seceding of states in this day an age. Too much at stake for too many of them based on the global economy.

i can see it. most states would actually be better off not giving a dime to the federal govt. theres some states that are bankrupt, but a lot of states are paying for the ones that cant afford crap. thats not right. i deffinately see this getting ugly.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    You guys act as though the results of a convention could be any worse than what we have now. Just like there is no such thing as a little bit pregnant, there is no such thing as a little bit of tyranny.

Quite the contrary. Everything is on a continuum.

See the Soviet Union, Cambodia under Pol Pot, and numerous other parts of history for examples of "a lot" of tyranny.

Now, I would be the last to say we couldn't get to that level, but we aren't there yet, unless you know of recent instances of citizens being hustled into camps, interrogated, tortured (I really mean tortured) and imprisoned in hard labor camps for 5 to 25 years (or simply shot) just for disagreeing with the noble ruler (or not singing his praises loudly enough) as literally happened to millions of Soviets under Stalin.

My main point was that after a Con Con, things could instantly go to a place where they wouldn't have to pay the lip service they do to the 2nd and the others in the BoR.

While we have lost much liberty, and are losing more daily, it can get much worse.

Furthermore, this bill wasn't a switch that was flipped that changed us from a republic to a "People's Republic". The transformation has been going on for years, and it is far from over.

All hope is not lost, but things have just gotten that much worse.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    i can see it. most states would actually be better off not giving a dime to the federal govt. theres some states that are bankrupt, but a lot of states are paying for the ones that cant afford crap. thats not right. i deffinately see this getting ugly.

Politics aside, Texas would have the easiest time of it having an international border, access to the oceans, a large and very diverse land area and a HUGE economy not dependent upon the rest of the "union". I'd say Alaska would be a good candidate for many of the same reasons, but they have the problem of having most of their land area being owned by the federal government.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I don't think that this will end well.
    We are a nation of independent thinking people. (At least those of us who don't drink the Kool Aid.)

It's a dangerous proposition to tell freedom loving people that they WILL buy a good, or service (insurance) because the Government says so.

It's a dangerous proposition to tell people who are against abortion that their money WILL fund those abortions.

It's a dangerous proposition to tell free men that they will be fined, or jailed because they cannot afford the mandated insurance.

It's a dangerous proposition for the Government to assume powers that they do not have under The Constitution.
    Mike

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --
    Thomas Jefferson: 1798.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I'm watching the debate as to whether or not we should continue to be ruled by the Constitution, or whether we are going to become a Soviet state... otherwise referred to as the health care debate.

A Congressman just pointed out that there are enough states adamantly opposed to this bill, and planning to sue over the bill if it becomes law, to call a Constitutional Convention if they choose to go that route instead.

This could be a very dangerous course of action, one capable of leading to the end of our Union. Or, it could result in the federal government having the limits imposed on it that the Constitution originally intended.

Very dangerous.

Oh what a wonderful thought. Restricting the federal government's powers as the founders intended.

jayincville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I don't think that this will end well.
    We are a nation of independent thinking people. (At least those of us who don't drink the Kool Aid.)

It's a dangerous proposition to tell freedom loving people that they WILL buy a good, or service (insurance) because the Government says so.

It's a dangerous proposition to tell people who are against abortion that their money WILL fund those abortions.

It's a dangerous proposition to tell free men that they will be fined, or jailed because they cannot afford the mandated insurance.

It's a dangerous proposition for the Government to assume powers that they do not have under The Constitution.
    Mike

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --
    Thomas Jefferson: 1798.
    I would love to believe this was true. Not so.
    #1 Car insurance.
    #2 Grow up, we've been paying for this for years.
    #3 lol, you've taken it, loved it, and voted the b****ards in time and time again. They thrive on telling you what you can do

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    If you don't want car insurance, you just don't own a car.

If you don't want health insurance, I guess you just have to commit suicide

Pretty big difference don't ya think?

I would love to believe this was true. Not so.
    #1 Car insurance.
    #2 Grow up, we've been paying for this for years.
    #3 lol, you've taken it, loved it, and voted the b****ards in time and time again. They thrive on telling you what you can do

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    What difference does that make? The Constitution was just voted out. We just became a Soviet nation... do you really think the government is going to abide by the 2A when they decide they are in a position to override it? They just ignored 70% of the American people.... they do not respect, or fear us.

Wasn't the Constitution voted out with the Federal Reserve, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Federal Gun Control legislation, the Patriot Act, DoE, DoA, BATFE, bank bailouts, corporate bailouts, the interstate system, etc.?

And people are just now getting angry about it? Interesting times we live in.

Top Bottom