• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Texas v. White a Roadblock To Secession; But It Might Also Provide an Escape Route[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]by Brian Stanley
    [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]In the 1868 case of Texas v. White, 74 U.S. (7 Wall.) 700, a case dealing with the title to some U.S. bonds, the Supreme Court ruled that Texas’, and hence the South’s, attempted secession in 1861 was unconstitutional. But the opinion also contained some wording that might give secessionists a way around White. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]It’s unfortunate that the Court used White as the vehicle to address the constitutionality of secession. The Court reached the constitutionality issue only because of a jurisdictional question; and it was virtually impossible for the Court not to hold secession unconstitutional a mere three years after the end of the War Between the States. A finding of constitutionality would have rendered unnecessary all the death and misery of that war. Of course, it was unnecessary. But the point is that the Court was under tremendous pressure to uphold the result of the war as if constitutional issues are settled on the battlefield. (For an excellent overview of why secession was constitutional, Lincoln’s arguments against it, and various other aspects of the secession issue, seeWas the Union Army’s Invasion of the Confederate States a Lawful Act?” by James Ostrowski.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]No, this was certainly not the optimum test, or a fair test, for a decision on such a vital constitutional matter. Nevertheless, the case, wrongly decided as it probably was, is out there and serves as a significant hurdle for secessionists if we hope to secede lawfully. If we look at secession as a matter of political will and are not concerned with secession’s constitutionality, White is not particularly important. But let’s assume for now that the goal is lawful, constitutional secession.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] So what is the potentially helpful language the Court used? After noting that it was “needless to discuss at length whether the right of a State to withdraw from the Union for any cause, regarded by herself as sufficient, is consistent with the Constitution of the United States[,]” the Court then determined that the Union was intended to be perpetual and then stated that after Texas entered into “an indissoluble relation” with the Union: “There was no place for reconsideration, or revocation, except through revolution or through the consent of the States.” (Emphasis added.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Consent of the states. What does that mean? We know it doesn’t mean a constitutional amendment. That is a term of art, and there is no logical explanation as to why learned justices would use the phrase “consent of the states” if they meant constitutional amendment. Does this phrase tell secessionists that there is another way to secede other than constitutional amendment? Does it mean the consent of a majority of states?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Opponents of secession will no doubt say that the phrase is mere dicta and has no controlling effect. Dicta are, basically, a comment that isn’t essential to the case’s outcome. (The full term is obiter dicta: dead words. Dictum is singular.) Dicta aren’t part of the holding. But lawyers and judges argue all the time about whether a phrase is dicta or holding. Richard Posner, judge and legal scholar, once noted that the distinction between the two concepts “is fuzzy not only at the level of application but also at the conceptual level.” Posner, “The Federal Courts: Crisis and Reform” (1985). Some have said calling something dicta merely means: I don’t want to follow this decision. So dismissing the phrase as dicta, while a predictable tactic, isn’t necessarily fatal to the use of the phrase by secessionists.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Complicating matters more there’s a concept called judicial dicta. These are dicta that deal with an issue that was briefed and argued and was directly involved in the decision but isn’t essential to the decision in the case. Judicial dicta, also difficult to define, are given more weight than dicta. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The “consent of the states” phrase is, at worst, judicial dicta, as the issue of constitutionality was briefed and argued. The Court’s comment must be given some weight. It has some meaning. And it helps secessionists. Constitutional amendment requires 38 states. And getting the Court to overturn White is highly unlikely. So this consent concept provides a third, possibly somewhat easier, option than either amendment or overturning of the case.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Michael C. Dorf, a law professor at Columbia and a constitutional scholar, is one of the few commentators who has addressed this language in White. In an article about secession, Dorf, after saying that White held secession unconstitutional, looked to the “consent of the states” language and said, essentially, that we don’t know what it means but it may provide an argument for states that want to secede. The article, interestingly, was addressed to a question about whether blue states could secede after the 2004 election. The title of the article, in fact, was “Does the Constitution Permit the Blue States to Secede? With Permission, Perhaps; Unilaterally, No” FindLaw (Wednesday Nov. 24, 2004). [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]If the White language does allow secession on the approval of the states (however that approval is given), how likely is it that secessionists could get 26 states? Well, the original 11 Confederate states would be a good start. Vermont has one of the most active secessionists movements in the U.S., so it might join in. North and South Dakota, Montana and Idaho are possibilities. Oklahoma is a likely candidate. Missouri and Kentucky are possibilities. That’s a total of 19. Approval by these states won’t happen immediately, but if the federal government continues to trample on the rights of the people who thinks it won’t? And if the secessionist movement can effectively educate the public, especially in states that might agree to secede, maybe getting 26 states isn’t out of the question in the foreseeable future. And it’s always possible that a few blue states will approve of secession just to get rid of us. [/FONT]

I'm sure the fed will use every angle they can to keep any and all states from the possibility of secession. It will literally take a revolution before any state will see freedom from the oppression of our tyrannical government.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Secession would only work if 35 or 40 states were to decided to do it. If only one or even a handful tried the results of would be bad for them. Federal government would send in the military and declare martial law etc. I hope this country never sees the day when states are considering secession. As long as we can have a revoltution at the ballot box there is no need for secession at this time. However, I have been wondering if we are seeing the last days of our great republic. We are not the same country we were 20 years ago.

Tallenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Thorntown
    One needs look no further than the document itself to determine the constitutionality of secession.

The rights and powers of the federal government are enumerated in Article 1, section 8 of the document. Control of secession is not one of them. On the other hand, the 10th amendment specifies that all powers not granted to the federal government in the constitution, nor prohibited to it by the states, remain with the states, or with the people.

The constitution does not permit the federal government to forbid secession. Therefore, it is completely legal. Lincoln violated the constitution in this regard. However, as we all know it wasn't the first, and most definitely not the last time that the federal government has blatantly violated the that document. That still doesn't make it right- or more importantly, legal.

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    However, I have been wondering if we are seeing the last days of our great republic. We are not the same country we were 20 years ago.

The republic exists only on paper now. The current education system and media have convinced everyone that we are a democracy and not a republic. We can only hope that good people stand up and start correcting this major problem.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Secession would only work if 35 or 40 states were to decided to do it. If only one or even a handful tried the results of would be bad for them. Federal government would send in the military and declare martial law etc. I hope this country never sees the day when states are considering secession. As long as we can have a revoltution at the ballot box there is no need for secession at this time. However, I have been wondering if we are seeing the last days of our great republic. We are not the same country we were 20 years ago.

I fear that you are too late... Texas governor has already mentioned it openly (last year). Vermont leaders are bringing up the subject. And running around Houston, I've seen more than one "secede" bumper sticker...

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Good article.

ddenny, I understand what you are saying, but peaceful secession can work, just ask Norway.

As to the point of whether it is Constitutional or legal, you need to remember that's what the founders of this country did, secede, when they broke from England. You can say it's an inherent and vital part of our social conscience to have the ability to secede. In any event, the courts decision is flawed as it points to the union being "perpetual", when nowhere is that language used in the constitution.
    You can, likewise, not use the argument that it was implied either. The Articles of Confederation most certainly did use that word, and as whole parts of the Articles were copied to the Constitution, to leave it out of the Constitution entirely can't be misconstrued other than to mean the union was most decidely NOT perpetual.
    To take it even further, in creating these United States and abandoning the Articles, the founders were essentially saying that they had no desire to make the union perpetual (and were seceding from the confederation as well).
    Additionally, what about the argument that the founders simply did not think about secession? At the Constitutional Convention in 1787, they considering adding a power to "call forth the force of the union against any member failing to fulfill its duty under the articles". It was rejected, thanks to James Madison:
    "...the use of force against a state would look more like a declaration of war rather than an infliction of punishment and would probably be considered by the party attacked as a dissolution of all previous compacts..."

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The current education system and media have convinced everyone that we are a democracy and not a republic.

You write that as if the two are mutually expulsive but they are not. Dictatorship and democracy are. But all functional democracies are either a republic or a monarchy and the US is not a monarchy. It is a democratic federal republic.

Under a democracy the majority forces it's will on the minority and you eventually end up with an oligarchy. You could argue how democratic the US actually is since there are really only two political options and the president can be elected by a minority vote, but we are progressing toward an oligarchy as have the democracies before us.

But I imagine we agree, something needs to be done about that progression.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    lol, that's a mental picture I could have lived without.

There are those that argue the US would be in better shape currently if it had been a Monarchy. I don't subscribe to that theory; then again I don't subscribe to the theory we'd be better off under any state control either. It's an interesting argument, nonetheless. If you get a chance, Mises.org has an article somewhere on the site about the political economy of monarchy and democracy, Hans-Hermann Hoppe I believe. I printed it out, but don't have it here at work or I could confirm for ya.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Secession would only work if 35 or 40 states were to decided to do it. If only one or even a handful tried the results of would be bad for them. Federal government would send in the military and declare martial law etc.

Who is to say that the US military would fight the secessionists? Who is to say the US military would win? The population of Texas (as an example) is over 24.7 million people. If those people are committed to the cause, then they are going to win. If one state seceeds, then some others will follow.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Who is to say that the US military would fight the secessionists? Who is to say the US military would win? The population of Texas (as an example) is over 24.7 million people. If those people are committed to the cause, then they are going to win. If one state seceeds, then some others will follow.

President Barry Bam and congress would not allow secession. They would call in the military or seek some kind of military action. The main question is: Would the miltary follow orders and fire on the secessionists? As far as the military winning is another arguement. The liberals would call it an act of treason.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    The only act of treason I see is in DC all of them clowns are tyrants. I myself have wondered what if about the military. I think we would see a split and the majority of the "awol" troops would be fighting the cause once again as they did 233 years ago. This can all snowball to a different story for a different thread.

Back to the Republic of Texas

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    You write that as if the two are mutually expulsive but they are not. Dictatorship and democracy are. But all functional democracies are either a republic or a monarchy and the US is not a monarchy. It is a democratic federal republic.

Under a democracy the majority forces it's will on the minority and you eventually end up with an oligarchy. You could argue how democratic the US actually is since there are really only two political options and the president can be elected by a minority vote, but we are progressing toward an oligarchy as have the democracies before us.

But I imagine we agree, something needs to be done about that progression.

sounds to me like we agree completely.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Let's not start this again . the War Between the States(War of Northern Aggression)was fought to preserve the union . Although nothing in the Constitution stopped the south from withdrawing from the union A WAR did .That is what it was about .

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Let's not start this again . the War Between the States(War of Northern Aggression)was fought to preserve the union . Although nothing in the Constitution stopped the south from withdrawing from the union A WAR did .That is what it was about .

amen

Top Bottom