Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Looks good!

two questions:

1) Any reason you didnt get the phantom version with the stabby bits?

2) is that a hotel towel? :)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Other factors make a bigger difference than a compensator. First and foremost among those is the length of the gas system. Guns with rifle length gas systems will have a less harsh recoil impulse than carbine length gas systems, with midlengths in between. Technique also plays a significant role.

Technique combined w/ the good gear is a wonderful combination!

It's definately a "system." My simple A2 "post ban" (bare muzzle) HBAR shoots softer than my comp'd carbine. But the comp'd carbine is flatter. So there can also be a decision between harsh and flat (ie amount of muzzle rize).

I'm not a fan of the "do everything but nothing well" muzzle devices (except a silencer, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here). I think a decision needs to be made on what is important. For me, flash hiding is less important as I'm more likely to be also using as bright a light as I can, which is just as bad or worse on the ol night vision.

My carbine is sporting a Bennie Cooly comp from JP.

Downsides are that it's loud as hell, and if prone (especially if the rifle is sideways getting really low under something) it can kick up a **** load of dust. However, even on the sandy/dusty ranges out east it was not a problem, and I've never had it kick up so much dust it interfered w/ my shooting. If I were in iraq, I'd reconsider just for that possibility. For the eastern US, I've decided I prefer the benefits of a comp, even on a non-game gun. Rounds on target faster is :yesway:.

I'm building another now that, for the first time ever, will sport glass. It's going to be rifle-length gas and buffer. I'm currently debating between another BC comp or one of the Rolling Thunder Comps from Benny Hill; been reading some good things about them. I expect it to be FAST and FLAT. (still debating on a lightened carrier/buffer...)

-rvb

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I found some comments regarding the Battle Comp and others in this thread on another forum that were worth sharing: Battle Comp? - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some quotes:

Contrary to popular "real world" opinion, comps DON'T make guns louder, they just re-direct the gases and the sound signature to a different area. Yes most comped gun seem louder because the burning gases and companion sound is now out to the side instead of slightly down range. Now here is where it all falls apart. If ther is any thing for the sound /pressure wave to reflect off of such as a wall tward the front of where you are shooting the sound bounces around and a comped gun fired in a 10'X16' room will be just a "loud" as an A2 flash suppressor fired in the same room, and anyone standing in the room will get the same effect. Now granted if your partners face is right next to the port of your comp he will get a good winding but if there is any seperation at all the noise will be just as loud for both an A2 or a Rolling Thunder, because sound bounces all around the room, and nothing you can do outside of a can will help...Battle Comped or not.

Just so you know, I actually did this test for about 5 different comps/Tactical brakes and an A2 in a 10X16 room with furniture, lamps, a T.V. a window and all the room stuff and a qucik response Decibel meter...if you are in that room without hearing protection... OUCH. All of them were within 3 Decibels measured at the corners and in the middle. The guy I was helping with this decided to run Ops-Inc brakes for his team and spent a bit more on the high end Peltors for his team. KurtM

Top Bottom