• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I personally would go a different rought if your just looking to reduce the recoil. Kent at class 3 sales has an sbr that he built and i have shot it then he put a piston system on it and it reduced the recoil by approximintly 25%. the shot responce from it was unbeliveable. he since took it off so a customer could have it but im waiting for him to get more. its still an afordible way to go though not as cheep as just getting a new break or flash supressor but i think it would fullfill all the needs your looking for and more.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For my use right now, I'm just interested to know what effects various comps have on my setup that I'm currently running. I realize that there are other things that factor into recoil reduction like gas system, piston, etc.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As Rhino pointed out, there are a lot more effective ways to get good recoil control rather than depending on gear. However, all things equal, good shooter, and well setup system, most people will still see an improvement with a comp.

In comps, I've run the surefire, KAC space brake, JP, HM, and the battle brake. All provided an improvement in control. The single and 2 chamber brakes (surefire and JP) were terrible in the house, and outdoors were at best distracting to those around. Definitely not something I would want to do to someone next to me on a firing line in a class, just me. The KAC, YHM, and Battle brake were much better, in the blast factor, but there was a compromise in compensation. For me that was not a biggie, and I can easily hold a full mag "in the zone" as fast as I can work the trigger without much work. My personal preference these days is the YHM, I ran it recently in a house with others, and at night, no one reported any issues with blast, or flash.

I wouldn't worry just to much about the bad guy seeing the flash, as others have stated, unless you're going full suppressed, he's going to know somethings up in his world, but hopefully only for an instant ;)

Drop me a note if you want some more data, it's mostly anecdotal, but it is based on my experience. Basically, I think the trade off of some of the modern partial comp, partial flash hiders is worth the investment, it's generally just enough improvement to make a decent shooter very comfortable running a gun hard.

Tinman....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are a couple of muzzle brakes that direct most of the exhaust forward so you don't blast people on the side if that is of primary concern. One is the Levang Linear Compensator:

DPMS Muzzle Brake Levang Linear 1/2"-28 Thread AR-15 Pre-Ban Steel Matte - MidwayUSA

My primary experience shooting a gun with a comp was when my post-ban Colt had a Smith Enterprises comp pinned to the end. I don't really know how much or what difference it made vs. a bare muzzle or a flash hider because I had the Smith installed before I ever shot it (and a flash hider would have been against the law then). That rifle has since has the muzzle threaded and it currently sports a JP Coolley compensator, which is comparable in performance to the Miculek Comp that slow1911s has on his Gator.

Comparisons are going to be easy since a threaded muzzle is a non-issue right now. Just borrow a few comps and shoot you gun with them using the same ammunition.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Can anyone identify what comps these cool kids are running?

GUNFIGHTERSWANTEDADcopy.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Top Bottom