• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    OK, I want to buy a pistol for hunting. I fell in love with the Thompson Contender. In previuos posts I asked about the G1 vs G2 Contender and about the 7 MM TCU round. I had my sights set on a Thompson Contender G2 with a 45-70 bbl and a Leupold Scope. I have had two people say that I should get an Encore instead. I have heard that the Contender is on the way out etc The Contender seems lighter. What do you think?

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    the encore seems to be the way t/c is going. i had 7mm-08 encore pistol and the 16" barrel is a must. most if not all contender barrels are 12-14" and limited choices. and when you decide to add to the encore into a rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader you will have alot more choices.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The Encore got a lot of press before the release of the G2 Contender.

There are still far more Contender frames and barrels in circulation, I doubt the Encore will ever catch up.

Trigger is better in the Contender in my opinion.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have had multiple Contenders over the years and really enjoyed buying the inexpensive barrels to try out the various chamberings, but unlike the Contenders, I have never sold my Encores, because even though they weigh a little more and are bigger, you can do anything a Contender can and more with the Encore.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    It really depends on what calibers you want to shoot. If you want to shoot high powered rifle loads, then you have to go with the encore. If you want most of the common handgun loads, the contender is fine. If you think you want to shoot rimfire, I'd go with the contender. The contender is quite a bit lighter and more compact than the encore. If you are looking at the G2, the 45-70 would probably be fine, but I've heard of the old frames stretching some after shooting alot of 45-70 hot loads.

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    If you are looking at the G2, the 45-70 would probably be fine, but I've heard of the old frames stretching some after shooting alot of 45-70 hot loads.

Yes I am looking at a G2 to shoot the 45-70.

It all started when I bought 5 guns from a woman I know who is selling her recently departed fathers gun collection. A G1 contender with a 7 MM TCU BBL and scope (possibly broken scope) shoulder holster and a few extra pistol grips and forearm and a case was left over. She wanted $390 for the package but it didnt sell. She said she would sell it to me for 250$ But I learned that the G1 had to crack the BBL in order to pull the trigger back, will not fit the new BBLs, and the reciever had wear from the forarm. I said "yes I'll take it" and than I found out that you cant buy the 7 MM TCU round ov er the counter. So i ran into a new G2 with a 45-70 BBL for $635. I was asking more questions and I am hearing that I shuld consider the encore.

I am so confused that I think I will back off and buy nothing

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Contender has better trigger, but Encore has a far greater range of calibers that it can handle. Which is more important to you?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The G1 contender is the one with the good trigger adjustable and breaks clean and crisp. The kind of trigger you wish all of your guns had. Never bothered me to break open the action to reset the trigger. the G2 has a more lawyer friendly trigger. All contender barrels are interchangeable except a weird alloy frame model that only the alloy barrels fit. The grips and butstocks are different g1 to g2.

The 7mm tcu is a 223 cartridge necked up to 7mm and is mainly a rams pigs and chickens cartridge. You are going to have to reload to use it as outside of the TC arena you are not going to reload.

G1 and g2 frames can handle anything handloaded as long as the CUP pressure is correct for the cartridge. 45-70 shooting garret loads or buffalo bore ammo is not a good idea in a contender pistol. Just as it is not a good idea in a springfield trapdoor rifle.

Personally anything over the 35 rem or 7-30 waters is a little much for me in a handgun, I have no desire to shoot 270 or 30-06 in a pistol myself even a hand cannon.

I have the encore also but just as a muzzleloader. so far. I personally like the g1 contender better.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My dad has a contender g1, he has several barrels(can't remember what his other barrel is, but one is a 44 mag)

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Another thing, the trigger reach is shorter on the 'Tender, mostly comes down to what kind of rounds you want to shoot.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    OK, I want to buy a pistol for hunting. I fell in love with the Thompson Contender. In previuos posts I asked about the G1 vs G2 Contender and about the 7 MM TCU round. I had my sights set on a Thompson Contender G2 with a 45-70 bbl and a Leupold Scope. I have had two people say that I should get an Encore instead. I have heard that the Contender is on the way out etc The Contender seems lighter. What do you think?

Personally,I'd go the Encore.....heavier frame,can have more custom (BIG) cal. barrel's made......460SW mag/.500SW mag, along with others.....
    Thompson Center Arms at EABCO - TC Encore, Contender, G2, Barrels, Stocks, and Accessories.
    Have an Encore chamber'd in .308Win, myself.....don' really hunt nuth'n that round won' take..... :twocents:

(one for .600 Nitro??.....:whistle:Hmmmmm......that'd be somethin....)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    My vote would go for the Encore atleast that's the one I got... Love it so far. Got a 308 winchester bbl and a 12 gauge VR bbl with choke tubes, it's a all around hunting piece for me... Adding a 223 and 357 max bbl's soon... can't put a 308 or a shotty bbl on the contender frame.... Although you'll enjoy whichever you decide to go with...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Contender easy open old style.
    14" .35 rem bbl.
    Wears a 2X.

Is a hoot. I got 1.5" for 3 shots at 50 yards just screwing around. Not great but certainly usable.

Encores are bigger. They can handle higher pressure cartridges.
    Big whoop de doo.

The ergonomics on the Encore I think suck.
    And the G2 Contender aint as good looking at the G1.

There are Super 16 bbls still out and about, but they taper and just don't look as good as a Super 14 IMHO.
    Absolutely detest the Hunters w brakes. But in .45-70, heard its a necessity.

I did a Super16 as PCR and it was twitchy until I added weight to the synth forend. Was easy to shoot offhand then.
    Buttstock (factory Rynite) is set up for irons, need a cheekriser for scope use. Easy to make out of Kydex.

Mine was great, but looked a little funky. If it was an 18.5" Id have kept it.
    Have to go custom or cut down a factory 21" carbine bbl for that.

Super 16's fetch some silly money now and then.

Think a new 12" .357 mag bbl about ideal, but they do crappy lettering on them now.
    14" is a tad long IMHO. And 10" too short.
    Maybe I should get my 14 cut down.............

Do think the TCA 12" octagons are way cool, shoulda snagged one in .22 mag when I had the chance.
    Was spendy, but has gone up even more.
    Oops.

A 30mm reddot doesn't look right on a Contender...........but proly is ideal for deer hunting.
    Makes shooting one pretty darn easy (compared to an EER scope).

Top Bottom