• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    For anyone that's done it, who's barrel is the best choice for accuracy and reliability to convert over to 9mm? I've had pretty mixed input from manufacturers regarding whether the extractor and ejector need to be replaced for 100% reliability in the event it gets carried but just got off the phone with Lone Wolf and they are saying barrel plus a new G19 mag is the only thing needed.

Who's done it and how did it come out in the wash for you? This pistol has serious sentimental value for me and I want to continue shooting it long term along with the other 9mm's in the lineup.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I ran my Gen3 G23 with a Wolf *CONVERSION* barrel and G19 mag. No other changes were required. I cant remember any issues with the extractor or reliability.

I eventually gave up and just traded for a G19. :):

Also make sure you are looking at conversion barrels, not replacement barrels. They arent the same.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have run a Gen 3 Glock 23 with a couple different lone wolf conversion barrels. Only addition was a Glock 19 magazine. No issues so long as I keep the gun clean. For a range gun it is fine.

plbour

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    United States
    I've been running a g3 23 with two different lone wolf barrels for two years now. Just swap barrel and mag. I haven't had any issues and haven't noticed any accuracy issues. Took it through a personal protection outside the home course and it ran better than I can.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I converted on older G3 22 to 9mm. I had ordered all new competition trigger parts for my 17C. I put the stock 9mm ignition parts into the 22 and ordered a Lone Wolf conversion threaded barrel for it. I've only ran a couple of mags through it so far, but zero issues. It doesn't appear to be necessary to swap out the ignition system, I only did it because I had the parts, and I had a broken spring in the 22.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am going this way with a Model 20....hopefully it will be an easy switch building a long slide 38 Super

6bff0cd4-cac1-4048-baa3-0146815055dd_zpshmoh5n8s.jpg

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I plan to eventually get a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for my G22 just to shoot cheaper 9mm target ammo. In their 40 to 9 conversion barrels Lone Wolf offsets the chamber to make it less likely to have to swap out the ejector. It's not hard to do, and you can find videos on Youtube showing you how, or you could probably find somebody on here who's close geographically to you who would do it as well. Assuming its a range gun, buy a Lone Wolf or similar conversion barrel and shoot it. If you have any malfunctions then try swapping out the extractor and ejector. If you're wanting to carry it, I would run A LOT of ammo through it first before I would trust it beyond range use.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Thanks for everyone's input, I just ordered the LW 40-9 barrel and some extra G19 mags I plan to order parts to update the other internals as well I'll carry this on occasion and want it to run with anything I feed it.

I'll see how it runs initially with just the barrel and mags and report back before changing anything else.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you're going to carry it, be sure that you've put it through it's paces first.

Most others report no issues - but it'd suck for you to have a certain tolerance stacking end up on the wrong side of "good" in your pistol after the conversion.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for everyone's input, I just ordered the LW 40-9 barrel and some extra G19 mags I plan to order parts to update the other internals as well I'll carry this on occasion and want it to run with anything I feed it.

I'll see how it runs initially with just the barrel and mags and report back before changing anything else.

The chambers on conversion barrels should be slightly offset for use with the existing extractor. I am not sure new internals are needed. I have had no problems with my conversion barrels in fact it is in the gun now. But I wouldn't carry my gun with this barrel. Just switch it back to the .40 barrel and carry it that way. People really do make to much out of the whole 9mm vs .40 debate. G23 stoked up with 14 quality hollowpoints (which there are a lot of choices) is a reliable standard.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a Storm Lake conversion in my 23 right now. I have shot a lot of rounds through it without one single issue.

All I changed was the barrel and mag. I prefer the SS conversions so that it is easier to tell the difference at a quick glance which barrel in in the gun.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    The LW 40-9 conversion barrel showed up and I got a chance to run a couple hundred rounds with it installed in my Gen 2 23 using Gen 4 G19 mags, it ran every round without malfunction and I staggered some odd length reloads in the mags of various bullet construction and powder charge to try and make it choke and it fed, fired and ejected every one of them.

I ran two boxes of Federal HST 124's through it before I called it a day it chased the same hole on paper with them and that was nice to see, everything ejected consistently up and to the right into a neat pile of brass.

~Thanks for the help guys, I'm sold on Lone Wolf conversions and see no need to mess with any of the other internal's at this point after seeing it eat the trash I fed it for a function test.

Top Bottom