• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have a Mav 88 in 12ga that I'd like to convert to 20ga for the wife.My question is if the receivers are the same.I know I'd have to switch out the barrel,magazine tube,bolt and probably the locking block.Assuming the receivers are the same,which I would think they are,this shouldn't be a problem for someone who has taken this gun apart and tinkered with it as much as I have.Right?Or is there something escaping my thought process here??

Let me know if you guys or gals think of anything.I'd really like to do this to give her more peace of mind and give me an excuse to build another shotgun.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have to agree with the others. It would seem to make more sense to just buy a 20 ga. for her (and keep the 12 ga, for yourself :):), or sell the 12 ga. to fund the 20 ga. Maybe if it were as simple as changing out the barrel and bolt that would be one thing, but I think having to change out the mag tube ups the ante a little.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Buying the new 20 gauge would be your best bet. Im not very familiar with the Maverick line, but every other pump gun I have seen has a smaller receiver for the 20 gauge models. The gun will be lighter, smaller, and easier for a smaller person to handle effectively. That, and by the time you buy all the parts to change it over, I have a feeling the only thing you would be left with from the original gun would be the trigger group.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    While you are at it you might try a youth model 20 ga. Shorter length of pull and usually a better fit for the gals. That is what I got for my wife. It worked out well.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have to agree with the others. If it comes down to the point that you're replacing more parts than you're keeping (or close to it) maybe you should just buy what you want and if finances are tight, sell the one you don't want.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Well the OP wants to build another shotgun, so buying a new gun was not the question, but it is the proper answer. I agree with everyone on saying buying a new gun is less expensive. Sell the 12 and buy a 20.

Top Bottom