• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    I have a 6500W generator & I am careful about using stabilizer, shutting of the fuel & running all the gas out of the line, & rotating the gas at least every year. I am still concerned about the carb gumming up. I have seen several carburator modifications on the internet that could convert my generator to use natural gas, propane, and gasoline. In addition to reducing the chances of the carb gumming up, it would also allow the use of other fuels if I ran out of gasoline. Has anyone ever converted their generator? Do you have any suggestions on what system to use? Manufactures? Lessons learned?

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I did the conversion. It is not cheap. I had to remove my carb and ship it off. I think in all it cost around $250 to $300. I don't remember. But it is worth it.

It was one of the best investments I have made! I tied into the propane line coming from my 500 gallon tank with a shut off valve in between.

I don't have to worry ever again about storing gasoline. It fires right up and burns clean. Best I have been able to figure, I use apx. one gallon of propane per hour of use. Try storing 500 gallons of gasoline! Not easy to do.

Anyway, what I am trying to convey with my ramblings is, I would do the conversion.

If you don't have a 500 gallon propane tank, you can always buy the #100 tanks which hold 25 gallons of propane and they don't take up too much room.

Good Luck!

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I work for a Outdoor Power equipment company and one of the most common complaints we get is that carb issues are happening so often. You want to rotate your fuel more often than just once a year manufacturers such as: Stihl, Exmark, Gravely, John Deere, Honda and Toro suggest rotating at least every 90 days. The Ethanol in the fuel cuts down the shelf life of gasoline tremendously. Even Sta-Bil, Seafoam and other additives can not cancel the effects of Ethanol on a carburetor. Just me 2 cents....

I have a 6500W generator & I am careful about using stabilizer, shutting of the fuel & running all the gas out of the line, & rotating the gas at least every year. I am still concerned about the carb gumming up. I have seen several carburator modifications on the internet that could convert my generator to use natural gas, propane, and gasoline. In addition to reducing the chances of the carb gumming up, it would also allow the use of other fuels if I ran out of gasoline. Has anyone ever converted their generator? Do you have any suggestions on what system to use? Manufactures? Lessons learned?

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    Yes, I converted my gasoline-powered Craftsman 5800 watt generator to propane/gasoline. I ordered the kit from propanecarbs.com. It took about 2 hours to install it. I then had a gas line run from my 500-gallon tank to the back side of my house. It was money well spent and I highly recommend doing it. Mine ran for nearly 5 days straight two weeks ago and I didn't have to do anything to it (no pouring gas in the middle of the night).

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have a honda Tri fuel. It came that way from an online company. Just so happens the other day I got an email from them that they have a new hose that replaces the gasket the carb sits on so there is no need to send the carb in anymore. Just buy the hose kit n u r all set to go. I just looked and found it. Us carburetion it's called the motor snorkel. They have vids on YouTube

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    The only problem I have noticed with pure gas from the co-op was it took a while to get through the summer gas to winter gas this fall. It seems the demand for gas costing 50 cents more a gallon is not in very high demand.

I get better mileage from pure gas & I use it in all my engines. It lasts longer than ethanol gasoline with proper storage methods.

Top Bottom