• ...and so much more!
  • Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Vaccinations ... :shady:

That and all the un-natural garbage in our "food".

I have a kid with allergies to artificial coloring. Makes him bat-**** terrible to deal with. Imagine the original Exorcist movie, but worse.

Try to find food without that in it consistently. Hell, even meat has artificial color in it now.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mrs E has some really strange, and very severe food allergies, but they're all adult onset and as far as I know she's the only one in her family. I've always been able to eat anything I want except cruciforms like broccoli, sprouts, etc. because I have the gene against those.

I do think the reverse natural selection is a large part of it; we notice the allergies, look out for them, and keep the people alive to procreate. Prior to that, they'd just keel over and die of mysterious causes. From there, the genes become more commonplace. It takes a couple of generations to become obvious, which is where we are.

I also wonder, though, what environmental factors play into this. There's more and more of it, foods, latex, what have you, but then there's an explosion in autism. I doubt vaccinations are it; the rise in autism came long after vaccinations became commonplace. There are suspicious things going on with foods, though; our diet is being Monsanto-ized.

GMO's? Maybe, but we've been tinkering with the genetics indirectly for thousands of years. Hard to say. We do plan to grow more of our own food, though, including some ducks to lay eggs Mrs E may be able to eat, those and some bunnies for meat, that kind of thing. We'll see what all that does for us.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    GMO's? Maybe, but we've been tinkering with the genetics indirectly for thousands of years. Hard to say. We do plan to grow more of our own food, though, including some ducks to lay eggs Mrs E may be able to eat, those and some bunnies for meat, that kind of thing. We'll see what all that does for us.

That and you'll find that the anti-vax crowd is heavily populated with nature nazis, as I affectionately call them. By personal choice a goodly portion of them have avoided genetically modified food from the start. If GMOs were a significantly contributing factor, I think we'd see more of a division between those who eat it and those who don't.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    That and you'll find that the anti-vax crowd is heavily populated with nature nazis, as I affectionately call them. By personal choice a goodly portion of them have avoided genetically modified food from the start. If GMOs were a significantly contributing factor, I think we'd see more of a division between those who eat it and those who don't.

Have you ever been to the Bloomington Farmer's market?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    That and all the un-natural garbage in our "food".

I have a kid with allergies to artificial coloring. Makes him bat-**** terrible to deal with. Imagine the original Exorcist movie, but worse.

Try to find food without that in it consistently. Hell, even meat has artificial color in it now.

I have heard kids with allergies to certain artificial coloring variants, but not every single one. If your kid has an allergy to every single one, then I guess he/she better just eat steamed white rice for the rest of his/her life. :(

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I have heard kids with allergies to certain artificial coloring variants, but not every single one. If your kid has an allergy to every single one, then I guess he/she better just eat steamed white rice for the rest of his/her life. :(

It's not all of them, mainly red and blue that we can tell. However none of that is good for you so we try and avoid it whenever possible.

We don't eat all that much processed food, and it's made a huge difference in our diets. The downside is when he goes somewhere to eat, we just don't know what he's getting. Very nice well mannered boy become Hannibal Lector when a few hours after he has artificial food coloring.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    No, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

You were talking about anti-vaxxers and anti-gmo people and the b-town farmer's market is FULL of them. Great quality food down there, pretty much all home grown/cooked without all the garbage you find in commercial "food".

Go try it sometime, it's a blast. Just bring lots of cash.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    You were talking about anti-vaxxers and anti-gmo people and the b-town farmer's market is FULL of them. Great quality food down there, pretty much all home grown/cooked without all the garbage you find in commercial "food".

But, how many of them or their children have food allergies?
    hmmmmm?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Ah, gotcha. I thought you might have been trying to set me up for a line of questioning that attempted to rebut my point about the correlation between anti-vaxers and their food choices.

We grow a lot of our own food in our garden (which reminds me, I have to get working on that this weekend; today looks like it's shaping up to be a beautiful day for it). And we've purchased our beef for the last 3 years from a co-worker of Mr88GT whose daughter was raising 'em for 4H. And we've had our own source of eggs since October 2011 (minus the 2 cartons of store bought I had to get when the girls went on strike during molt/winter). We still eat a lot of processed food as convenience overrules perfection right now, and with two little boys, I need all the convenience I can get.

But I'm working on cutting that out.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Ah, gotcha. I thought you might have been trying to set me up for a line of questioning that attempted to rebut my point about the correlation between anti-vaxers and their food choices.

We grow a lot of our own food in our garden (which reminds me, I have to get working on that this weekend; today looks like it's shaping up to be a beautiful day for it). And we've purchased our beef for the last 3 years from a co-worker of Mr88GT whose daughter was raising 'em for 4H. And we've had our own source of eggs since October 2011 (minus the 2 cartons of store bought I had to get when the girls went on strike during molt/winter). We still eat a lot of processed food as convenience overrules perfection right now, and with two little boys, I need all the convenience I can get.

But I'm working on cutting that out.

Very cool, we just moved so I need to build some gardens this spring to get our stuff going again. Too bad our cherry tree and Apple trees didn't move with us. I need to go get some for our back yard again.

I've been looking for an inexpensive quality source for beef in Hendrick's county but haven't had much time yet. Moody Meats is great, but obviously not inexpensive.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you want to avoid allergies, I guess so. We don't have much in the way of allergies in my family.

We don't either. About the only allergies in our house hit in the spring when the pollen starts flying...lucky by the way it sounds for some of you folks.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    That is the way I took it. We have been keeping the weak alive for years when they would have otherwise died:twocents:

I'll put on my strict biologist hat for a moment.

This is correct. We are most certainly seeing an increase in the frequency of "harmful" traits simply because modern medicine allows these genes to be passed on. There is no way to sugar-coat it. I suspect it will only get worse, until we have the technology to actually FIX this issues at the genetic level. Then, things will either get better.... or be a disaster.

This very likely is a lot of the issue. Kids with peanut allergies most likely just used to die from it more frequently at an early age so there were less that were older and out and about. As we started preventing that, those kids with peanut allergies grew to reproduce and pass those genes on. It's only to be expected that as we make genetic diseases more manageble and survivable that they are neessarily more likely to be passed on and expanded.

With our brain power we have moved past the base mechanics of natural selection. Physical weaknesses and inabilities are less and less likely to be removed by natural means. Even a lack of intelligence and work ethic isn't likely to weed traits out anymore as most civilized countries have social programs to help those that can't provide for themselves.

Evolution doesn't mean "getting better". It's just a vehicle for change within a species. It favors those genes/replicators passed on thru reproduction. It only favors "the fittest" when it causes them more ability to reproduce. When everyone has an equal chance to survive and make little versions of themselves, then evolution will trend merely towards those who spread the most of their genes into the pool.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    :dunno: not sure i understand?
    Are you trying to say that mankind is stopping what natural selection intended to do and thus we see these results?

What natural selection intended??
    Natural selection has no consciousness. There's no "mother nature" running things. Whatever happens, happens.

The human race is in the process of devolving.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    "Natural selection" is an intellectual construction used to describe the mechanism of selection of genetic advantages. It has no "intent" as you would think of intent, just an underlying logic, which is the preference for genes that provide an advantage. It's our virtue that leads us to counteract natural selection, consciously or not. The result is the contradiction of natural selection. Should we stop it? Of course not; we should do what we can until we can develop the technology to fix the problem. This technology will benefit many more than just the allergy sufferers.

Top Bottom