• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    A buddy and I decided to take advantage of the bright moonlight last night and try calling a few coyotes in the piece of property across the road from my house. We had success there last year (no kills, but called 4 into about 150yds), so tried to see if we could get some action last night.

We were using a rabbit in distress call. Within about 2 minutes of starting the call, a HUGE owl came flying in towards us, and perched in a tree about 15 yds from our position. It was bright enough to see the shape, but not quite brite enough to make out the eyes. We could see it looking towards the speaker on the call as it continued for another 3 or 4 minutes.

After it stopped, the owl swooped down low and flew within a few feet of the speaker, and then continued on behind us before we lost site of it.

Unfortunately no coyotes came within range (we had about 300yds of open field between us and the next patch of woods), but it was cool to see the owl.

That is what I've always loved about hunting...even when you don't have any luck with the game you are after, just observing natural is always amazing.

mhodge87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Goshen
    I've had my fair share of owl experiences while coyote hunting. I had one dive towards me while doing a mouse in distress with a hand call.

After that, I started using an electronic call. :-D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Well I have good news for you. If you are getting owl's raven's and blue jay's coming in you are calling right. I had an owl take a rabbit fur I covered the speaker with.

Keep calling and remember if you are using an electric caller you need to setup for at least 45 minutes instead of the normal 20-30 for a mouth call.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well I have good news for you. If you are getting owl's raven's and blue jay's coming in you are calling right. I had an owl take a rabbit fur I covered the speaker with.

Keep calling and remember if you are using an electric caller you need to setup for at least 45 minutes instead of the normal 20-30 for a mouth call.

Will keep that in mind. Seems like most of our luck has been in the first 10-15 minutes thus far, making it hard to be patient when we don't see something right away.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I called in a redtail hawk once while coyote hunting. Beautiful animal he looked around but didnt see the rabbit he thought was their and flew off. Speaking of owls I called in two one morning turkey hunting while doing a Hoot owl sequence and the saw each other and started goin crazy they where face to face bobbing up and down make noises and then they flew off. It was right at daylight awesome experience.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Awesome love these stories. Haven't been hunting since moving to Indiana. Don't know where to do so. Used to love to go out even if I never bagged anything. Was in a City park just walking through and kicked out a nice size Coyote. Made my day just to watch it run off.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Electronic calls reach out further than the mount calls I normally use. I got busted a few time leaving to soon got up and then see the yote. To late busted. Educated yote also.

Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    I've tried two or three electronic calls borrowed from friends. Never had any luck. Then drive 15 min. To the next location used my mouth call and had a dead coyote in 10 min. At 50 yards. Not sure of the problem but I think electronic calls have to much repetition.

A-savvy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    My buddy and I also have had more success with hand and mouth calls than electronic calls, not sure why though.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    One morning, prior to day light, I had a coyote follow me into my stand. I was trying to walk quietly on the dry leaves and so probably attracked the yote toward me. After I was safely in my stand, I started meowing like a cat and had the yote plus another come within 15 yards of my stand. As it was still dark, I could not actually see them. I stopped and heard them walk away. I then started again 15 mins later and had a huge owl fly up in to a tree 20 yards from me. I stopped right then. I did not want that owl to try flying closer only to rip me to shreds with those claws.

As soon as it got light, one of the yotes came cruising by, it was a all white one. Pretty cool looking.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Owls, Hawks & Eagles will show up on at least half the stands I make. Several times a year we'll have an owl attack the speaker or try to land on our heads while hand-calling open fields at night, not uncommon at all. I've shewed owls away from the speaker at the end of a stand, other times they seem to pick out your slightest movement and bug out.

After years of calling and thousands of stands, I'm of the opinion that raptors have little to do with the quality of your setup or sounds. They're just there regaurdless, most of the time, and they're gullible since they have no hunting pressure.

House cats, on the other hand, can be an indicator of good calling conditions. They sleep 12-18 hours a day and often stay close to residential areas until the going gets tough. If they're up and moving in rural areas, a lot of times other predators are too.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    here is my experiance the other day. I went out deer hunting. I saw 3 coyotes while deer hunting so i figured i would go back and get my electric call. I put the call out in the middle of the field and hid under some brush. i played a fawn in distress set. and 4 doe's came running up from behind me and ran about 5 yards from me. they went right up by the call and looked around and could not see a fawn so they trotted off.

Top Bottom