• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So, as I posted in another thread, my dogs killed their first groundhog yesterday. When I got home from work today, I decided I better bury it because it’s supposed to be hot this week, and I didn’t want flies OR dead smell. So, I went out between my house and my daughters house and dug down about two feet. After I put the hog in the hole and was filling it in, I heard something hit the shovel, and found this!
    3119131D-096C-4258-A20A-0B5FDE631EB9.jpeg
    510B8A10-DCD3-4B52-BF53-204C2E776358.jpeg
    Hard to tell from the photos, but it says “bayer aspirin” on the side. From what I can find online, it’s from the mid 1930s to early 1940s.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've always loved finding old stuff like that. One of these days I'm gonna metal detect my place, the house was built in 1910 and at least two different generations of families grew up/raised their kids here over the years (that we've met/talked to.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've always loved finding old stuff like that. One of these days I'm gonna metal detect my place, the house was built in 1910 and at least two different generations of families grew up/raised their kids here over the years (that we've met/talked to.
    I used to live in a house that was built in the 1890s, it was framed with 2” by 4” studs and cut nails.
    One year, my oldest son got a metal detector for Christmas, and we went out in the yard to try it out. We found several dozen of those old cut nails around the house. In one spot, we found six or seven of them like somebody had set down a handful of them. It was nothing amazing, but to think some guy might have set them on the ground and a hundred years later WE found them was pretty cool.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I used to live in a house that was built in the 1890s, it was framed with 2” by 4” studs and cut nails.
    One year, my oldest son got a metal detector for Christmas, and we went out in the yard to try it out. We found several dozen of those old cut nails around the house. In one spot, we found six or seven of them like somebody had set down a handful of them. It was nothing amazing, but to think some guy might have set them on the ground and a hundred years later WE found them was pretty cool.
    They buried that house that burned on the property. It had a stone foundation and there were a couple sections of it laying in the woods. After a big rain or first thing in spring you would always find broken plates and pottery. I always wanted to run a metal detector around the place.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    At our old place it used to have an old farm house that burnt years ago. There was a spot in the woods where the people used to burn their trash. That whole area was littered with what had to be a few thousand bottles of Bromo Seltzer bottles. It was unbelievable how many of those blue bottles were there.
    Bromo Seltzer must indeed have been quite the shizz-nit back then. I found an old dump / burn area on the property where I grew up, and I bet one-third of the bottles in it were that stuff. I hate to think how many of them I used as BB gun targets. They would shoot back at you, too!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Bromo Seltzer must indeed have been quite the shizz-nit back then. I found an old dump / burn area on the property where I grew up, and I bet one-third of the bottles in it were that stuff. I hate to think how many of them I used as BB gun targets. They would shoot back at you, too!
    I don't know what kind of stomach issues this fella had, but it couldn't of been good. It was pre internet when I bought the place, but my Gma knew exactly what it was when she seen those bottles.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    So, as I posted in another thread, my dogs killed their first groundhog yesterday. When I got home from work today, I decided I better bury it because it’s supposed to be hot this week, and I didn’t want flies OR dead smell. So, I went out between my house and my daughters house and dug down about two feet. After I put the hog in the hole and was filling it in, I heard something hit the shovel, and found this!
    View attachment 199648
    View attachment 199649
    Hard to tell from the photos, but it says “bayer aspirin” on the side. From what I can find online, it’s from the mid 1930s to early 1940s.
    Yes that is cool, I have always been attracted to old bottles for some reason. I really like the brown and amber ones that had a cork stopper.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Pretty cool. :thumbsup: We live on an old homestead property that had a large farm house in the front yard. I would like to use a metal detector around here as well some day.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Bayer has kind of an interesting history in the 40s.

However, the Bayer that would have made that bottle in the '30s and '40s is not that Bayer as the original German company Bayer AG lost its holdings, including its names and patents in the U.S. in World War I and did not "reunify" U.S. and German brands until 1994. There was a wholly separate company make Bayer aspirin in the U.S. in the '20s and thereafter for a long time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom