• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I know the OP already has a cooler, I just wanted to share a tip.
    I have two 58qt Coleman Extreme coolers, had them for over 16 years. When the plastic hinges finally gave out, I upgraded to stainless hinges: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WEY8TQ/ref=pe_1874330_239430600_em_1p_0_ti

When replacing, I mixed up some epoxy and stuffed into the screw holes before putting in the new screws. Did this about three or four years ago and they are still holding great.

Now I just need to replace a handle on one, and a drain plug on the other.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I know the OP already has a cooler, I just wanted to share a tip.
    I have two 58qt Coleman Extreme coolers, had them for over 16 years. When the plastic hinges finally gave out, I upgraded to stainless hinges: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WEY8TQ/ref=pe_1874330_239430600_em_1p_0_ti

When replacing, I mixed up some epoxy and stuffed into the screw holes before putting in the new screws. Did this about three or four years ago and they are still holding great.

Now I just need to replace a handle on one, and a drain plug on the other.

I did the same with my free craigslist Igloo Marine cooler... hinges and latches were broken. Bought some hinges at Menards and never cared enough about the latches.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have yeti, rtic, and ozark. They are all exactly the same, look the same, work the same. The only difference; lids are slightly different. Logos different. Prices are deffinately different. Ozark trail you can buy at Walmart for like $10 ( and I've personally tested it beside my yeti and it's the same damn thing, so seriously go buy some), rtic slightly more than the Ozark. and Yeti better get out your wallet because they are like $30 and up for the same damn thing. You ARE paying for the name only period. They are all probably made in the same Chinese factory seriously.
    yeti I own 2, 20oz cups. 2, 30oz cups, and a big jug. Several lids with straws too and handles which they don't come with. Also a small cup thing that holds my can of Coke or a beer bottle.

Rtic I have 2, 30oz cups and a 20oz cup. And their medium hard cooler on the way.

ozark trail, I have a 30oz and 2, 20oz cups. And a can cup holder like the yeti. It's slightly different rubber lid and it doesn't come with a fake Coke can insert sizer like the yeti.

we bought the yeti stuff on vacation last year because i was impressed with my buddy's. And my wife wanted some and I thought it was cool and was told that the cheaper but same rtic was backordered at that time. I hadn't heard of the Walmart ozark being the same at that time. If so I wouldn't have got yeti because I'm cheap and only spend money when I feel like I'm getting a good return value. So I bought the yeti and spent a **** load, I'm not upset about it, it will last forever and it's a vacation memory.

I somehow came across a YouTube video on the ozark trail cups and they did a side by side and I went to Walmart that day and bought several. Why? I just felt like it was a great value and maybe I'd eventualy use them lol. I did my own side by side and actually the ozark did slightly better than the yeti in my uncontrolled test.

Buy what makes you happy. If you can afford a yeti and it makes you happy then buy it. Some people pay more to have the "name" of something. I've done it too so I get it. Usually you get what you pay for and the higher priced item really is better. Not in this case. And of coarse after I order a new rtic cooler (still a lot cheaper than the yeti by far) my buddy tells me that ozark is coming out with a hard cooler like the yeti at half price of the rtic even. So I'll probably buy that one too. I will probably use my cooler 3
    times this year. Maybe never even use it again who knows but if an emergency happens or if I need a good cooler and ice becomes limited like during a power outtage or natural disaster when ice IS NOT 2 minutes away, then my ice will last longer than people that have cheap coolers so I will have better value for my money and my investment will pay off.

Everyone buy what you feel like buying and who cares what other people think. If I buy something just because of the name (also quality) then I'm doing it for myself and not for anyone else

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Ice Mule Pro Cooler,.....because my level of coolness is beyond the Yeti and RTIC level of cool and no one else has one. Plus when I'm not using my Ice Mule cooler as a cooler, I use it as a dry bag in my kayak. For a basic cooler, get a Coleman and another bag of ice. You can buy a lot of ice before you reach the price point of the cool coolers. If your not on a friggin expedition, what does it matter.

Dirty Steve

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    coolhand1.jpg

Wrong cooler ... :wrongdoor:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I still have an all metal cooler from the 1960's with cork lining. They were very well built but weight a lot even empty. They really do not hold the cold all that well. The more modern blow molded plastic models from Igloo and Coleman actually work better. Like you said, for 3 or 4 times a year, it is hard t justify a $400 cooler.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Leo pretty much sums up my thoughts. If I were using one every day, like our friend from Florida, I'd definitely be looking at a high end cooler. But for once or twice a year, then it's whoever has the cheapest cooler that fits my needs.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I bought my Yeti before there was Rtic, Polar, Orca, or any of the others. I bought it because it works, and because I can! No other reasons, I also have two Orcas of different sizes. I like quality gear, and I pay for it. Had I known of Orca before Yeti, I'd have all Orca products. I'm kinda sad I didn't look closer at the Pelican line, as I have their "luggage" and love it!

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I bought my Yeti before there was Rtic, Polar, Orca, or any of the others. I bought it because it works, and because I can! No other reasons, I also have two Orcas of different sizes. I like quality gear, and I pay for it. Had I known of Orca before Yeti, I'd have all Orca products. I'm kinda sad I didn't look closer at the Pelican line, as I have their "luggage" and love it!

The Pelican cooler is good to go yet I HATE it! The handle/latches pinch your fingers/hands, I will never own one.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Goodwill outlet, pay by the pound, wait for a clean one to come through and buy it. I have bought a couple for work at the outlets as they tend to get beat up in the box truck with all the old equipment bouncing around on them.

Top Bottom