• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Went to the venison workshop at BassProShops on Friday.

Lots of discussion about early season processing.

How do you cool your deer after the harvest?

For those who don't have walk-in coolers and process your own meat, what do you do to keep them cool?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    By chance did they mention black pepper?

Warm weather hunting, always take a big can of it. Field dress and then sprinkle that on.

Keeps the bees and flies off.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    We try and let it hang at least 24 hours. Depends on how warm it is out. We hang them a couple days later in the season when its 40 or below.

gotcha, but I'm thinking about early season archery.

Debating on getting a TrophyBagKooler, the first couple I process myself will pay for it.

The Purdue Extension guys said they hung a dear out for a week in 95 degree weather and the bag worked like a champ.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    pack chest cavity with bags of ice, leave hide on, wrap in tarp, keep i shade.

Thankfully with the new on-line check in, no more waing from friday night till monday morn to get one checked in so you can butcher it

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Field dress at the spot of the kill, drag to the truck or house and finish the processing. Take cuts throwing directly into cooler with ice, and leave them in a ice filled cooler for a couple days.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Great question. This year, a buddy and I are using my side by side refrigerator and his full length standing freezer. Building a frame to put inside each to hang the deer from. Thought we would cut the legs at the knees and remove the head and place a small tarp at the bottom of the refrig or freezer. Would turn the freezer down to approx 40-50 and the frig on medium.

Not sure if it will work. With my luck, everything will be ready but will not get one until mid gun season.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Since I don't process my own, I rush my deer straight from the woods to the processor. He lives right next door to his shop, so he meets me there even if it ends up being 10:00 PM or so. I've got him on speed dial. LOL!

I've thought about building my own walk-in cooler after reading the following thread:

Home Made Walk-in fridge (deer fridge)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Since I don't process my own, I rush my deer straight from the woods to the processor. He lives right next door to his shop, so he meets me there even if it ends up being 10:00 PM or so. I've got him on speed dial. LOL!

I've thought about building my own walk-in cooler after reading the following thread:

Home Made Walk-in fridge (deer fridge)

lol, I didn't see this before I asked on facebook :D

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    We process them at the cabin ASAP. We skin and quarter them and put in a cooler with ice. When we get home, the next night we have a cutting party. All 3 of us and usually my buddy's wife and daughter start cutting the quarters up and then into the freezer.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I hunt within 30 minutes of my house so I process myself immediately.
    Skin, debone and store in refrgerator. Then cut up at my leisure.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have been boning it out in the field and then putting it directly in the fridge when I get home. Once it is nice and cold then I process it fully. Taking the time to remove as much fat and silver as possible makes more a difference than aging IMO.

Top Bottom