• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Whatever you do, think it through and be as safe as possible. Having an accident will cost much more than doing the move safely. I speak from experience and am reminded everyday by the ache and pain of a broken leg and ankle. Nine years later I regret being impatient and not having a good plan.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Get a few pieces of probably 3” or 4” PVC pipe and cut slightly wider than your skids. Roll the thing on the pipe and just keep moving the last piece of pipe to the front once you get past it. Would probably use 8 or so pieces if it were me.

This.

This method with 3/4” dowels is how I moved my 1200lb safe through the house.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Whatever you do, think it through and be as safe as possible. Having an accident will cost much more than doing the move safely. I speak from experience and am reminded everyday by the ache and pain of a broken leg and ankle. Nine years later I regret being impatient and not having a good plan.

That thinking kinda rules my ideas out.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    4" round wooden fence posts will take the weight and can be used for something else later. Set up some temporary runners in the correct direction, roll the coop up on the posts with the jeep and put it where you want it. Good luck.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, that mother clucking coop is in its new home. Good grief...

Started here:
    wdS2eJb.jpg

Ended up here:
    yfns6rc.jpg

Hires a young guy to move it for me. He did the "Egyptian" thing with PVC rollers. Took him 6 hours (pretty much all day Wednesday) to move it. THAT is why I hired it. I don't have the time or ability right now.

Wife and I spent another 3 hours using smaller rollers and my Hi-Lift to get it the last 6 feet and positioned, and then buttoned it up enough to get by for a couple of weeks. Still need to finish painting and clean up around it.

Long term plan is an "open top" run to the right of the closed run. Smaller flower and veggie garden in front. And re-populate the flock after the Great Coon Massacre of 2019. But... that can wait until after Labor Day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, that mother clucking coop is in its new home. Good grief...

Started here:
    wdS2eJb.jpg

Ended up here:
    yfns6rc.jpg

Hires a young guy to move it for me. He did the "Egyptian" thing with PVC rollers. Took him 6 hours (pretty much all day Wednesday) to move it. THAT is why I hired it. I don't have the time or ability right now.

Wife and I spent another 3 hours using smaller rollers and my Hi-Lift to get it the last 6 feet and positioned, and then buttoned it up enough to get by for a couple of weeks. Still need to finish painting and clean up around it.

Long term plan is an "open top" run to the right of the closed run. Smaller flower and veggie garden in front. And re-populate the flock after the Great Coon Massacre of 2019. But... that can wait until after Labor Day.

Looks great! And good idea hiring (most of) it out. :yesway:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I looooooove the garden zombie!

I love that back yard! Ditto on the garden zombie also.
    His name is Fred.

Dead Fred.

Seen better days. Even zombies biodegrade eventually. Done a great job keeping the birds out of the garden, though. Rabbits, too. Squeak, squeak goes the zombie in the breeze.

Side note: need a new air rifle backstop. My daughter used 1/3 of it to line the coop, and left the rest out in the rain.

Top Bottom