• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    Hello, ive been looking around for details on what makes a police car fit and unfit for duty "running lights burnt out" wrecked " no running brake lights" etc . anyways i was pulled over today for speeding yaya bad boy.

but i noticed the cop car had one main running light burnt out on drivers side, had a passenger running light burnt out, and a drivers side running brake light burnt out.
    my point is if they cant keep their car up to par can they keep there radar gun up as well.

im looking at a $200 fine that's not a big deal, but he says one speed and i say another. i can try to fight it or i can just pay it and move on what should i do. im working on documenting with photos i got one today and plan on to get one every time i see him while its still messed up.

ill own up to speeding but not the amount he says theres alot of factors in this, if you can help me with links or any first hand knowledge please comment. "trolls" make like a tree and leave

thanks in advance dontfeed

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So are you asking if you should or shouldn't pay a fine because you were caught and there was a burned out light bulb on the cop's car? Were you unsure if it was a real police officer/cop car?
    Did the cop write you a ticket for a burned out light bulb?

Either go to court and try to fight it and pay the court costs and the fine if he shows up, or just pay it and move on.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    So your mad about his car having lights out and also mad about the speed in which he ticketed you for? When is the last time your speedo was verified/certified? His radar was certified this year and he will testify that in court. The fact that he had vehicle violations has nothing to do with your speeding and a judge will be sure to remind you that...

Fight the good fight for speeding in court and loose.

Report the police car violations to the PD so they can be addressed.

Man up and stop whining...

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    To the op, I feel your frustration as I don't agree with the hypocrisy of Leo's collecting taxes for the gov from the citizens they swear to protect but you gonna just have to pay and move on.. The Leo's that really burn me are the DOT state troopers.. If that's what they are called.. Hammer big commercial trucks all the time for even the slightest infractions to squeeze $$$ for the state.. I work on state vehicles and have in the past impd and trust me they a lot of times wouldn't pass a safety inspection/dot inspection let alone an emission test if indiana mandated one.. To defend the Leo's slightly they don't fix their own rides but they do get to stay on the clock generally while the vehicle is being serviced unless the pd they work for has pool cars...

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    yes i agree. he says i was going 52mph in a 35. i say i wasnt going over 45mph. speeding is speeding but 7mph over is alot and its my first speeding ticket in 5years. and i bought the truck in October so im not sure if the speedo is right. it has stock tires not over sized or under.

my point is the upkeep on the car is not there and its obsessive. so why should i be punished for alleged 17mph over when it was 10 over at best. i dont know if that cars radar has been celebrated this year. the lights have been burnt out for at least a month now or longer.

im think hes a reservest and that suv he drives is the older town marshalls, and its all the time down at the local mechanics shop being worked on more than any other police car

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you try to fight the ticket by saying you were going slower than what the radar posted, you are still admitting violating the posted limit. The court doesn't care if you are over by 1mph or 10mph, you still broke the law.
    By all means go to court and hope the cop doesn't show, but if he does, don't fight it by saying you were going slower than what the radar said yet still above the posted limit.
    And if you try to make a case about burned out lights on the cruiser the judge will have a lot of fun with you.

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    when your daytime front lights are on ur brake lights light up so you can see the car in-front of you when raining or foggy days. ya i want to i just need to find some kind of state law or code of conduct for a police car to be fit or unfit. they should do a walk around every time the go on duty. at least i do when im at my job with fork lifts and work truck to make sure everything is in working order.
    well anything below 14mph is lesser points anything above 15mph is stiffer fines and maybe loss of DL.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So you don't know how fast you are going, but you noticed lights are out?:stickpoke:

Your tail lights do not light up just because the day time running lights are on.
    My brake lights only light up when my foot is on the brake pedal.
    My tail lights will come on with the headlights.

Last edited:

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    ya he was behind me for 15 minutes i do have eyes. and when i saw him coming i knew i was to fast so i looked down and i was a 45 maybe 46. i didnt hit the brakes i just let off the gas plus i was going up hill so ya

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    yes i agree. he says i was going 52mph in a 35. i say i wasnt going over 45mph. speeding is speeding but 7mph over is alot and its my first speeding ticket in 5years.

1mph to 25mph is the same fine unless something has changed lately. If you go in front of our traffic court judge and say you were only doing 45, that's called an admission, he'll say guilty, and you're done.

Radar guns are certified regularly and are checked with tuning forks prior to and at the end of shift. Car maintenance is a different matter done by different people, and if its a small department there are probably no assigned cars so the maintenance may not get done as regularly as it should.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    ya he was behind me for 15 minutes i do have eyes. and when i saw him coming i knew i was to fast so i looked down and i was a 45 maybe 46. i didnt hit the brakes i just let off the gas plus i was going up hill so ya

He followed you for 15 minutes after he got behind you and you didn't slow down to the posted limit?

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    ya i guess your right thanks. that ever worse his head light and tail light are burnt out.

o i thought 15mph was the cut off point. im not up to snuff on my law

no no he was behind me when he was writing the ticket. he clocked me when we both passed a corner and down a hill

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    all i know is the lights were out when he was driving and when he had me pulled over. it was probably the headlights.

lol all i want to know does anyone have a link to something that can point me in the right direction?

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Were the red and blue lights working? Those lights are the only ones that really count.
    You are trying to get out of something that you have admitted to doing. Man up and pay the ticket.
    As stated earlier it is 1 to 25, anything over is considered reckless driving and you can be arrested if the cop is in a bad mood.
    Depending on how bad your driving record is you might not have any points right now.
    Once again, you were in the wrong, trying to say that it doesn't count because his headlight was out is not going to work. Not even a little bit.

Top Bottom