• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I thought I read an account of this a couple of years back. In the other account, there were more details like the officer and the attacker were struggling for the officers gun when the bystander shot the attacker.

If this is not the same story, it has an uncanny similarity. Officer pulls person over for breaking into a funeral procession, gets into an altercation and a bystander comes to the officers aide after coming out of a 7/11. The bystander fires into the torso without effect, steps closer and puts a round behind the attackers ear.

I think it is the one you read. This happened in 2006. Here is a better link that tells more of the story.

The Shootist: One Man Got Involved. The Perry Stephens/George Temple Incident

From reading this version I don't think he had any other way of helping accept what he did.

I could only hope I would help if I were in the same situation.

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    Going back to the OT, I would probably do what pretty much every LEO tells me on here and that is be a "good witness." Why would I help a PO in distress when I shouldn't help a random citizen in distress?

911 is just right around the corner. I'll just wait for them if it isn't someone close to me being harmed. amirite?

I doubt you'd feel that way if it was someone you cared about was was being beaten or killed & someone who could've saved them just stood there & watched so he'd be a "good witness."

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I doubt you'd feel that way if it was someone you cared about was was being beaten or killed & someone who could've saved them just stood there & watched so he'd be a "good witness."

The point he was making is that People of Authority are always telling us to just be a good witness and not get involved, so which should we do? Get involved or just be a good witness.

I know what I would do.

Hurculeasz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    I would like to think that I would help, within my means. But it is very hard to say without being in the situation.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Ask Dave Moore about citizen help as he lay in the yard dying. Homeowner standing there watching him though a window as he died...alone in the snow. It was a fellow officer blocks away that was the first to show up to help. I can count on my brothers/sisters when the SHTF and that is it. We welcome the outside help if given but we know it is not likely. Every day we have officers fighting with resisters and either the passerby's will only watch or root the suspect on. More people than want to admit actually like seeing us struggle.
    It would take a truly disgusting POS to do that. To answer the question: I would be morally and ethically obligated to assist someone in danger, badge or not.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I disagree. Pretty strongly, as a matter of fact. And I am not speaking of one individual. If it was one individual there would be no problem.

...and he stepped out from under the bridge, opened up his laptop, and logged onto INGO...

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Our only hope for humanity is when good people value innocent life enough to defend it from the evil that would do it harm.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    It doesn't matter if someone has a badge or not, if they are in need of help then of course I would help. In the case of just someone getting beat up I don't think taking a shot is warranted, but I would definitely intervene. I don't know if I could live with myself if I could of helped but didn't and someone got seriously injured.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I couldnt think of not helping anyone in this situation. Not everyone would, but then, if that were the case, things would be much different in this country. The most disappointing part of the situation in question though is that a seriously handicapped person was the one in a crowd of many that was willing to stand up and defend a life.

Top Bottom