• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am saying that I have encountered more dishonest cops than honest, and given the abysmal depths of the malfeasance I have seen, I cannot justify the automatic assumption that the cop is right that some people hold so dear.

I think this is hyperbole.
    I'd like some stats; #of dishonest vs honest, encountered personally.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'm trying to understand this so bear with me.

Let me share one of my experiences. I am originally from a community that at the time of this incident (which it hasn't improved much if any) had a dirty police department (exactly 1 honest cop), a dirty prosecutor, and two dirty judges. My younger sister had a problem with underage drinking. Needless to say I didn't condone this and expected a generous application of responsibility for the situation, but I also had a problem with the local PD's way of dealing with this type of problem off the books.

Are you saying that the cops, prosecutors, and judges were dirty for not convicting your sister of underage drinking? It sounds like you are saying that the cops didn't lock her up, if they did the prosecutors wouldn't file charges, and if they did, the judges wouldn't say guilty.

In the end, having a discussion with the mayor was sufficient to put my sister on the off limits list albeit without materially affecting the actual problem.

So you talked to the mayor, and the mayor told the police not to lock her up or that she is "off limits"? And this did nothing for her underlying drinking issues.

Now, how should I live with myself if I were to find someone in a similar problem who did not have a workable informal political solution available (compounded with the formal solutions being unavailable by virtue of corruption)

Again it seems like what you're saying is that you feel bad that not everyone has your clout to tell the mayor your sister is off limits
    and was 'dealing' with a cop by virtue of not accepting the notion of his sister becoming some worthless GDMFSB cop's personal whore
    So your sister can not go to jail for underage drinking as she is off limits, but her alternate sentence is sleeping with all the cops?

, and decided to jump in and bust a cap on him thus doing my civic duty to protect the cop?

So you don't want to get involved in a gun fight between a person and a cop because that cop may be sleeping with that person's sister and if you found that out you'd feel bad?

Did i read it wrong or am i correct? I often get confused when people use nebulous terms in hopes of hiding identities or locations. My girlfriend hates it as i can never follow along.

Example

GF: ...and so a certain someone got what was coming to them

Me: Your cousin got a job?

GF: No, my cousin doesn't even know this person

Me: what the hell is going on?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I know you won't believe it, but most Police Officers would rather work an entire shift without coming into contact with you or anybody, for that matter.

I like meeting new people. I'm a people person. Just ask vitamink, Denny347, and VUPDBlue.

Do you realize how many meals, comfort stops, and cups of coffee are missed because of some lame complaint that the Officer must respond to?

I need to miss a few meals. I have thrown away quite a bit of food and drink over the years though in order to respond to runs that turned out to be "lame."

And then lock someone up or write a report and then show up for court?

Court is ~$45/hour. Of course I show up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm trying to understand this so bear with me.

Did i read it wrong or am i correct? I often get confused when people use nebulous terms in hopes of hiding identities or locations. My girlfriend hates it as i can never follow along.

Example

GF: ...and so a certain someone got what was coming to them

Me: Your cousin got a job?

GF: No, my cousin doesn't even know this person

Me: what the hell is going on?

I admit, I lol'd (no offense ID1776)

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    I would've shot the guy if I felt the officer would die otherwise, my opinion is that if put in a situation were my life or an a bystander's life is put immediate danger and there were no other options I would shoot the only way I was trained, to kill..

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would've shot the guy if I felt the officer would die otherwise, my opinion is that if put in a situation were my life or an a bystander's life is put immediate danger and there were no other options I would shoot the only way I was trained, to kill..

If you go to court, you might want to rethink your words with, "I stopped the threat."
    And you might re-think posting stuff like that anyway. If you have a DGU (Defensive Gun Use) and you have to go to court, do you not think lawyers will be combing years of your online posts????
    If you don't, maybe our member Titanium_Frost can educate you on it.

I'm hoping you take this constructively.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I don't think that I'd want anyone from this board assisting me!

With this comment, I certainly wouldn't assist you... you need to re-read this whole thread.

I said nothing negative as usual when it comes to LEO's. Yeah, I realize there are horrible LEO's (David Bisard comes to mind), but like anything else.. they usually do not last very long. I come from a family full of LEO's and Military, so I might be biased. I don't get kicks off bashing anyone, well.. unless that person is a complete idiot or has characteristics of anything less than a real man.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Bisard was actually an excellent officer. The circumstances of the crash incident can be considered horrible, but before that day he and the work he did was deservedly well regarded.

I'm not trying to pass judgement here (that's for the judge and jury) but does one horriffic incident negate all those days of "well regarded" service?

I suppose that comes down to personal opinion. I don't know the guy personally, so I'll leave any statement about what kind of guy or cop he was to those who do.

Whatever else is said about him, he was involved in an incident that permanently changed the lives of a lot of people and changed the opinion people held of him and the IMPD.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Was reading the article cited in this other thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/234229-14_45acp_slugs_and_still_going.html

And noticed the following excerpt, relevant to this here thread, on the last page:

"One image stays with Gramins, who was named Illinois State Officer of the Year and one of 10 law enforcement officers selected by NAPO to visit the White House for their heroism. The image is that of a resident on the northeast corner of the street who throughout the incident was yelling his support for the officer

"'Get this guy!' he's yelling," Gramins laughs. "'Get him! Get him! Shoot him!' I could hear him the whole time. It was comforting to know that someone was cheering me on and that I was not out there by myself. It was like having a coach on the sidelines during a game."

Supporting the good guys, when we can, helps them rise to the occasion.

BTW, if you listen to the 911 audio, one of the neighbors was on the phone reporting it, and you can hear him send his son to go get his gun (so he could help presumably, but it was over before he could get involved).

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Was reading the article cited in this other thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/234229-14_45acp_slugs_and_still_going.html

And noticed the following excerpt, relevant to this here thread, on the last page:

"One image stays with Gramins, who was named Illinois State Officer of the Year and one of 10 law enforcement officers selected by NAPO to visit the White House for their heroism. The image is that of a resident on the northeast corner of the street who throughout the incident was yelling his support for the officer

"'Get this guy!' he's yelling," Gramins laughs. "'Get him! Get him! Shoot him!' I could hear him the whole time. It was comforting to know that someone was cheering me on and that I was not out there by myself. It was like having a coach on the sidelines during a game."

Supporting the good guys, when we can, helps them rise to the occasion.

BTW, if you listen to the 911 audio, one of the neighbors was on the phone reporting it, and you can hear him send his son to go get his gun (so he could help presumably, but it was over before he could get involved).

Right on for the officer. But that does raise a question for me.

During that firefight, if a third party non-officer intervened from another direction, and engaged the perp... what might be the "repercussions"?

The last thing I want is to be the next target the officer engages, because he sees a second man with a gun. My assumption is that the officer has the presence of mind to realize I'm not a target. But do secondary responding officers realize this, too? Seeing as I'm not dressed in the blues.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I can give an example of the above.

Officers receive a run to tenth street and bosart on a MWAG. As they are arriving the MWAG decides to take cover behind his car and shoot at the officers. The officers take cover behind their cars and shoot back. Essentially they're shooting across the street at each other. During the firefight a mighty roar is heard from the east, ala leroy jenkins. Bursting out from the strip bar emerges a security guard with his 357 in a "han solo" holster. He runs into the middle of the shooting, plants both feat weaver style on the yellow line and begins cracking rounds off at the bad guy.

This was probably some of the dumbest **** ever witnessed. The guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but the bad guy was so overwhelmed by witnessing something so stupid (along with everyone else) that he was able to be taken into custody and probably still has a confused look on his face.

Even though the hero of the day was drunk, didn't hit ****, covered in stripper glitter, and wore tight jeans nothing happened to him. Your results may vary.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I can give an example of the above.

Officers receive a run to tenth street and bosart on a MWAG. As they are arriving the MWAG decides to take cover behind his car and shoot at the officers. The officers take cover behind their cars and shoot back. Essentially they're shooting across the street at each other. During the firefight a mighty roar is heard from the east, ala leroy jenkins. Bursting out from the strip bar emerges a security guard with his 357 in a "han solo" holster. He runs into the middle of the shooting, plants both feat weaver style on the yellow line and begins cracking rounds off at the bad guy.

This was probably some of the dumbest **** ever witnessed. The guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but the bad guy was so overwhelmed by witnessing something so stupid (along with everyone else) that he was able to be taken into custody and probably still has a confused look on his face.

Even though the hero of the day was drunk, didn't hit ****, covered in stripper glitter, and wore tight jeans nothing happened to him. Your results may vary.

Hahaha... So all I have to do is reek of shea butter and shine like a vampire in sunlight? Seems like Twilight fans are also probably safe.

Top Bottom