• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    After I got my Sig Mosquito, from Beech Grove Firearms, I took it out to the 20 acres owned by my family to shoot it. So I'm out in the woods with my cousin and his wife and we're shooting this new gun into cans and coins on the side of a hill in the woods. We're out there about a half hour and here comes my dad, uncle and a uniformed police officer walking out to where we were shooting at. I was told the police were called because of the shooting. I said "You're kidding me." The LEO told me that a lady had called because she was working in her garden and wanted to make sure she was not going to get shot.

The LEO told me that a few months back, a man was killed on his front porch in the same area by a stray bullet and he was just coming out there to see if I was being safe. He said that I was being safe and then started asking what kind of gun I had. I told him it was a Sig Mosquito in .22lr. He looked really interested so I put in a loaded magazine and handed him the pistol and told him to try it out. He said "You don't mind?" I told him not at all. So he fired a few shots and decides that he likes this little gun, even though it was jamming because of the 8 year old Thunderbolts I was firing in it and it was not broken in yet.

I just thought the funniest part of this was that the woman that called the police could still hear the shooting. Little did she know, some of the shooting was being done by the LEO that came out to make sure I was being safe.

My family has been shooting on that property since they bought it in 1965 and this was the first time the police were ever called out there because guns were being fired. I'm not upset that they were called, but I am upset that people were shooting so irresponsibly that some poor guy was killed while sitting on his front porch.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Do you have a right to shoot on your own property? You betcha.

Did this situation turn out well? You betcha

Anything else need to happen? You betcha.... While building my range on private property, I went to all the neighbors within earshot and told them what was going to happen, and invited them to shoot now and then by pre-arrangement. Never had the first call, or complaint.

In this situation, I think it would have been a good idea to ask the LEO, or go with the LEO to touch base with the neighbor lady, so she understands there is no danger to her.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    The guy wasn't shot on his front porch. So that lady is a retard...He was shot in his house while sleeping in bed from a stray bullet coming through the wall. It was a .45 round in a colt from about 1000 feet away. The best part was that the gun he shot he was "repairing" for a police officer. The guy who did the shooting was Jonathan Graf and he is an idiot who contributed to an already uphill battle for gun rights. it wasn't the first time he had accidently shot at their property. I think he was charged with reckless homicide, but I don't know how the trial went.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    After I got my Sig Mosquito, from Beech Grove Firearms, I took it out to the 20 acres owned by my family to shoot it.

I scanned the story to make sure there was no injuries, then I went back to really read it. I stopped reading right about here. I am so jealous of you guys who can go on your back porch to shoot. I launch golf balls into the corn field behind my house, but that's no fun. :rolleyes:

That lady may have a couple nice rifles in he closet. Go ask her to come over and try your Sig.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'm all for being neighborly and all that. but damn, people need to learn to mind their own friggin' business.

With all the idiots out there I cannot say I blame people for being a bit paranoid. That is why the neighborly idea is great and hey, the more people see responsible gun owners the better our cause will be served.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    LOL...

When my Brother and I are home together on our leaves it generally sounds like a war has kicked off for at least the first week or so...
    I guess our neighbors just count their blessings that we both don't still live in the area...

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    The LEO told me that a few months back, a man was killed on his front porch in the same area by a stray bullet
    <snip>
    but I am upset that people were shooting so irresponsibly that some poor guy was killed while sitting on his front porch.

Where was a man killed on his front porch by a stray bullet? I don't remember hearing about it.

The guy wasn't shot on his front porch. So that lady is a retard...He was shot in his house while sleeping in bed from a stray bullet coming through the wall. It was a .45 round in a colt from about 1000 feet away. The best part was that the gun he shot he was "repairing" for a police officer. The guy who did the shooting was Jonathan Graf and he is an idiot who contributed to an already uphill battle for gun rights. it wasn't the first time he had accidently shot at their property. I think he was charged with reckless homicide, but I don't know how the trial went.

For reference:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...996-morgan_co_man_killed_by_stray_bullet.html

Top Bottom