• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The trespassing case is headed to federal court.

via Yahoo

HONOLULU — The case of a Hawaii Census worker arrested for trespassing while trying to do his job is heading to federal court.
    It's the latest example of disputes this year between Census workers protected by federal law and residents who don't want to deal with them.
    The Census worker, Russell Haas, found trouble on Hawaii's Big Island on March 20 when a resident refused to accept Census forms and told Haas to leave his fenced property.
    Then the resident, a county police officer, called his co-workers at the Hawaii County Police Department. Haas was then arrested.
    Census workers have met more hostility than they did in the last count. The agency tallied 436 incidents involving assaults or threats through June 29, more than double the 181 incidents in 2000.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The trespassing case is headed to federal court.

via Yahoo

10:1 says that the case is dismissed in federal court under the same doctrine that the federal courts used to initially prevent Idaho from prosecuting Lon Horiuchi for murder.

If federal judges won't allow a guy who illegally shot a woman holding a baby to be prosecuted by the states because it was done in the course of his federal duties, they ain't gonna let Hawaii prosecute trespassing census workers regardless of how guilty they are.

Best,

Joe

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    10:1 says that the case is dismissed in federal court under the same doctrine that the federal courts used to initially prevent Idaho from prosecuting Lon Horiuchi for murder.

If federal judges won't allow a guy who illegally shot a woman holding a baby to be prosecuted by the states because it was done in the course of his federal duties, they ain't gonna let Hawaii prosecute trespassing census workers regardless of how guilty they are.

Best,

Joe

Spot on.

Shame but the feds will protect their 'supremecy', first and foremost.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I guess the thing that really is strange about all of this, is why the hell is everyone so afraid of the census? It is a Constitutionally required census, yes they ask some more questions than number in the household. Who the hell cares? Yea we all talk about "Ausweiss Bitte?" or papers please, or PC, or RAS stops, the 4th Amendment, etc, but this census mirrored the first census taken in 1790. I am all for being free from big government, but come on people its a few questions that take no more than a couple of minutes, and it is required.

INGunGuy

That's why everyone is so afraid of the census. Information is required, not optional. In America, we enjoy the freedom to choose.

Doctors offices, your mortgage company, your bank, your local tax assessors office, etc have all the information and more than what is asked on the census form. So, since most people have a mortgage, they gave identifying information to the bank/mortgage company when you applied for your mortgage. So why is giving a little information about yourself so "damning"? I did put for race German-Irish-American as that is who I am. Anyway, I didnt think it was too personal as I have given that information and more to many other people...

INGunGuy

You don't have to have a mortgage or a bank account. But if you live in the United States, you do have to have a government. And they, as you said, require all of this information for some reason.

+1 to the local cops for doing the right thing. This is a much better outcome than shooting the home owner like last time. After the feds take this to federal court the State should take it to their State court to find their own ruling. It's equally fair.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    That's why everyone is so afraid of the census. Information is required, not optional. In America, we enjoy the freedom to choose.

You don't have to have a mortgage or a bank account. But if you live in the United States, you do have to have a government. And they, as you said, require all of this information for some reason.

+1 to the local cops for doing the right thing. This is a much better outcome than shooting the home owner like last time. After the feds take this to federal court the State should take it to their State court to find their own ruling. It's equally fair.

I'd rep this post, but I'm out. Excellent post!

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I had 3 visits by the census takers & about 10 phone calls from one of them. I answered the same question every single time. how many in the house.

Top Bottom