• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    It’s funny you mention that... that’s what got this whole ball rolling in the first place. Since I’m not really doing “arborist” work and just clearing saplings and small fallen limbs, I figured the sawzall would be ideal. Shibumi absolutely hit the nail on the head with the battery comment. I could only do a few saplings on one battery and they were DIFFICULT to cut. I mean, seriously, “is this wet bamboo?” tough. I had to push inordinately hard to get the saw through a 1.5” sapling. I attributed it to most likely poor motor construction from the Chinese product. It was almost like the reciprocating arm could not move fast enough to work effectively with the blade. And the blade shouldn’t have been the problem, I was using Lenox wood blades.

How many ah battery are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It’s funny you mention that... that’s what got this whole ball rolling in the first place. Since I’m not really doing “arborist” work and just clearing saplings and small fallen limbs, I figured the sawzall would be ideal. Shibumi absolutely hit the nail on the head with the battery comment. I could only do a few saplings on one battery and they were DIFFICULT to cut. I mean, seriously, “is this wet bamboo?” tough. I had to push inordinately hard to get the saw through a 1.5” sapling. I attributed it to most likely poor motor construction from the Chinese product. It was almost like the reciprocating arm could not move fast enough to work effectively with the blade. And the blade shouldn’t have been the problem, I was using Lenox wood blades.
    Even the best sawzall’s struggle with anything flexible/stringy. I too only use them if I’m hitting dirt.

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    All that being said I like the Stihl cordless saw and they had a deal going with saw and battery the other day when I was in my dealers.
    But I’ve also heard nothing but good about the Milwaukee. I use Milwaukee m18 stuff at work and it is top notch performance wise so I can only imagine their saw is great too.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I use the Dewalt 60v flexvolt, 6ah and 12 ah (those current ratings are at 20v) which are 120 and 240 watt respectively. While a larger battery obviously makes the saw run longer, it really is the efficiency issue. A chainsaw chain simply cuts with less power requirement. It's a function of the way the tools cut.

As an example, I took down a 14"dbh (diameter 4ft off the ground), 50' sassafras tree, cut it up into firewood, and limbed it out completely with 1 6ah flexvolt battery. I run saws from the smaller electric saws I mentioned all the way up to a Stihl 660 with 36" bar, and I'm running saws weekly if not more often as I also have two Woodmizer sawmills and 170 acres of woods. I find that I am increasingly using my electric saws over my smaller Stihls (170, 290, and 036).

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Are you guys using the pruning blades in your sawzalls? I think they cut like butter up to about 3 inch diameter limbs with my M18 fuel sawzall. I just bought the M18 hackzall and it is great for cutting small limbs one handed on a ladder or when climbing. FWIW Milwaukee recommends the 12ah batteries for their chainsaw. For me it was a better deal to buy the combo with battery and charger than separate even though I have m18 chargers coming out my ears.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

At that time, probably a 2.0ah or 2.5ah battery. I know - not great.

All that being said I like the Stihl cordless saw and they had a deal going with saw and battery the other day when I was in my dealers.
    But I’ve also heard nothing but good about the Milwaukee. I use Milwaukee m18 stuff at work and it is top notch performance wise so I can only imagine their saw is great too.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’m going for a Stihl 120 with two batteries available on their promotion. I could go cheaper, but not by much with the extra battery and - hey, it’s Stihl!

Are you guys using the pruning blades in your sawzalls? I think they cut like butter up to about 3 inch diameter limbs with my M18 fuel sawzall. I just bought the M18 hackzall and it is great for cutting small limbs one handed on a ladder or when climbing. FWIW Milwaukee recommends the 12ah batteries for their chainsaw. For me it was a better deal to buy the combo with battery and charger than separate even though I have m18 chargers coming out my ears.

There are pruning blades? Wait, what? That might explain a few things...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There are pruning blades? Wait, what? That might explain a few things...

i’ve used them. They’re ok and better than the wood blades. They are pretty good when new but dull quickly even on clean wood. They are pricey enough that I consider them best for people who might have a few branches once in a while, but not for regular use.

Top Bottom