• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What cordless drill brand do you recommend?

• Total voters

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I have a Makita 6337D 14.4v cordless drill. Had it about 5 years without any issues whatsoever except, you guessed it, batteries. The original batteries will last long enough to get most minor household jobs done. The replacement Makita batteries I purchased 3 years ago are pretty much useless. I just checked Amazon and they want $80 for 1 battery, $145 for two! I like the Makita, but not that much.
    To make a long story short I have started looking at cordless drills. I don't want anything larger than 18 volt, I prefer a smaller and easier to handle drill. I want to keep the price down around $150. I have seen a nice Bosch 18v for $180, just a bit over my limit.
    What do you use? Likes, dislikes? Battery life and replacement cost?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Last one I bought was a Milwaukee for about $160. I worked at AT&T at the time and the one they gave us was a DeWalt and it wasn't good for much beyond driving screws and drilling through soft wood, so I used mine. I forgot it in the truck when they canned me. : (

Last edited:

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    There are several good brands out there, it really just depends on your needs. I have 18v Li-ion Makita tools at home and love them. They're lightweight and have plenty of power :yesway: I've used Dewalt 18v XRP cordless at work for years, simply because that's what my company buys. My Dewalt stuff takes plenty of hard use and keeps going....it's quite heavy in comparison to Li-ion though. Overall, I'd be happy with any of the 18v Li-ion stuff from Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee or Dewalt. They offer so many different tools that will accept the same batteries...pretty sweet :rockwoot:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have had a 12 volt Porter Cable for over a dozen years and it still works fine. The batteries don't hold a charge like they used to though.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I bought a Ryobi over 8 years ago. At the 2 year mark there was a recall on the drill, they sent me a brand new one. I've replaced the batteries once and still going strong. The 18v has much more torque than my Craftsman 3/8 corded drill.

Ryobi Power Tools

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've used a few brands in my 50 years on earth.. Hands down it's a tie between Milwaukee & DeWalt.....

They take a licking & keep on ticken...

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    If you are just using it for light home use, you cant beat a black and decker for the price. Ive got a couple and never had any problems with them. Batteries are generally cheaper than other brands also.

If you are wanting to do heavier or more work go with a milwaukee

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    My bro in law works for a company that sells the major brands. Bosch comes out to show off their products and lets customers climb a 16' ladder and drop a Bisch drill to the concrete. The person that drops and and the drill breaks gets a brand new drill.

It took 60+ times dropping it from 16' onto concrete for it to finally break. Not that you would need to do that but shows how tough they really are.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I used Makita and DeWalt for years. Great tools back then. I don't think they're made as well now as in the past.
    I had a great Ryobi until my brother in law borrowed it and I haven't seen it since. I don't do heavy construction so I've been using an old Pawn Shop Black and Decker for a couple of years and it's a beast. Battery life is great, strong, good clutch and easy to use. I paid $10 bucks for it. 12v w/3 batteries and nail gun. Nail gun didn't work. Wire had come undone off the switch. Took about 15 minutes to re-solder on the wire and reassemble. Best $10 I've spent.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    When I first started my job, they gave me a Dewalt drill and it worked well. I was just recently issued a Milwaukee hammer drill, and that thing is awesome. It put the Dewalt I had to shame. Full disclosue, the Dewalt had some age to it, so I can't speak to how well a new one works. Regardless, I have to drill into/through some tough stuff at times like concrete and stainless steel, and that Milwaukee is the berries.

One of my co-workers has a Hilti drill that I have used a couple of times, and that dude is pretty wicked too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had Makita, Dewalt, Porter Cable and Milwaukee. Porter Cable was a good drill, Milwaukee has been the best and Dewalt sucks....period.

Hilti is OK.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I've personally used DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Bosch, and Makita (short time). All 18v. Milwaukee batteries went bad the quickest, about a year to 18 months, longest run time though. Bosch had the shortest run time and had 2 drills go bad hole sawing. Ridgid was ok middle of the road run time, never had a battery go bad, torque wasn't the greatest. Short time, too short to get a good decisionon it, I used the Makita I really liked it. Good run time on the batteries, better torque than the Ridgid. I've used DeWalt the longest for a reason, had one battery go bad after 3-4 years, better torque than the rest, run time 2nd to Milwaukee, and decent price.

I would go with DeWalt if I had to buy again. I wouldn't buy Milwaukee, the batteries suck. I wouldn't buy Bosch, doesn't seem like a heavy use drill. Ridgid would be ok for home use and maybe a little heavy use. I would probably buy a Makita also, what short time I got to use it, I liked it. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom