• ...and so much more!
  • top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    after studying brian litzs' articled at applied logistics, i have a million questions but my main one is if you shoot west at 1000 yds the bullet drop is 9" and if you shoot east it rises 9". if you only shoot 500 yds, is the drop/rise 50%, or is there more math involved? i understand about the rotation of the earth to cause this, but was wondering if different equations now come into play? and the right or left drift due to right twist or left twist rifling.

i know this an area that we all will probably never see but the knowledge of this is extremely interesting to me, only long distance, one shot/one kill, snipers or high dollar hunters would be able to utilize this, and their computers tell them and compensate for them how to compensate.

sorry if the is the wrong place to post this.....daryll

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    All else would have to be equal. By that I mean the terrain would need to be the same, preferably a level shot. You would also want to make sure that the air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, all would need to be consistent.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The coriolis effect is on such a grand scale (think hemispherical) that any effect on target shooting, even 1000yards, is almost too small to be quantifiable.

And no, people, the water in your commode doesn't swirl 1 direction in the N Hemisphere and the opposite direction in the S Hemisphere. Nor does your bathtub water swirl different directions based on hemisphere.

There is a great magnitude of BAD science/information out there when it comes to this. Almost like when it comes to people wanting to put windex on their guns.

-J-

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    what he said. The coriolis effect is pretty much a waste of time to inclue in your shooting inside of a mile.

The longer shots, maybe, but i cant take them so i dont really know what those guys are doing.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    what he said. The coriolis effect is pretty much a waste of time to inclue in your shooting inside of a mile.

The longer shots, maybe, but i cant take them so i dont really know what those guys are doing.

Mile? heck... Try a few thousand! That's the scale of measure when you're talking the Coriolis Effect.

LONG distances over LONG periods of time.

It can kind of come into play when talking about long-distance/range artillery; but much of that is just compensating for the earth's rotation while the projectile is in the air. (It's also difficult for us to imagine how these things work because we're used to a "flat earth" view point. All our maps are flat. We can only just barely see the curvature of the earth when looking out over a large body of water. Where as a shell that's going several miles is in itself traveling in an arc over an section of a spherical surface. Both the target and the launch point are moving in relation to the surface speed of ~25k mph, the projectile is moving at a different rate in a different vector.

-J-

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    after studying brian litzs' articled at applied logistics, i have a million questions but my main one is if you shoot west at 1000 yds the bullet drop is 9" and if you shoot east it rises 9". if you only shoot 500 yds, is the drop/rise 50%, or is there more math involved? i understand about the rotation of the earth to cause this, but was wondering if different equations now come into play? and the right or left drift due to right twist or left twist rifling.

i know this an area that we all will probably never see but the knowledge of this is extremely interesting to me, only long distance, one shot/one kill, snipers or high dollar hunters would be able to utilize this, and their computers tell them and compensate for them how to compensate.

sorry if the is the wrong place to post this.....daryll

If you want to just see and play with all of the equations, he includes them in his book.

Amazon.com: Applied Ballistics For Long-Range Shooting 2nd Edition (9780615452562): Bryan Litz: Books

Top Bottom