• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Anyone know a good place around Lafayette to get some ground corn cob to use for tumbling media? I found a place out of Clevelan, OH that sells a 50lb bag for $17. They sell several different kernal sizes, but I'm not sure which size I would need without seeing it in person. Does anyone buy cob in bulk locally or order it in? I think I'm looking for size 14/20, but I'm not positive.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Pet stores often have corn cob media. In addition to gun nuttery, it's good for gerbil poop. Sometimes the selection of sizes is different - often larger. This has worked well for me for pistol calibers and rifle calibers > .30, but I have had frustrations with .223 using the larger size media.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Pet stores often have corn cob media. In addition to gun nuttery, it's good for gerbil poop. Sometimes the selection of sizes is different - often larger. This has worked well for me for pistol calibers and rifle calibers > .30, but I have had frustrations with .223 using the larger size media.

I have some that I got from Petsmart, but that is where my frustration lies, when I'm trying to clean .223. That's the only rifle caliber I'm loading right now.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Try some crushed walnut for the .223.

Available at pet stores, used for birdcage litter and is much finer than cob and maybe a bit more aggressive.. I'm currently running a 50/50 mix.

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    yep i found out about the pet store corn cob frustrations with 223 about 2 weeks ago but i guess it gave the boy something to do! sometimes i hate trying something new ill just stick to my walnut.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    1014 Grade is the largest of the three most common industrial grades (1014, 1420, 2040). It is commonly used in tumbling and vibratory finishing. Polishing brass bullet casings is a common application. It is also used as a blasting media, but usually for hard substrates such as steel and concrete. In general it would be too aggressive for wood.

Mt. Pulaski's Products — Maizorb

Google is your friend:

lafayette indiana abrasives - Google Search

Last edited:

friedmarlin5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    I used to but this material by the pallet load for an 8ft. diameter tumbler at work for powdered metal automotive parts. That was about 15 years ago. I'll look back through my old info and see if I can track down a source. If want to look on your own online, look at industrial tumbling media resources. They probably won't make you buy it in the bulk qty's. I was buting. Also, the size and quality of this will be MUCH better than the pet poop stuff (LOL).

dwordinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    You can't find corncobs around Lafayette? You're surrounded by corn fields! Just tell one of the locals you would like to gather a few bags of cobs out of his field. Wait until your wife goes shopping and throw some in the margarita blender until you get the size you want. Make sure you finish and get the blender back in the cupboard before she gets home! Most wives just don't seem to understand. :-( You may wish to mix the next batch of margaritas a bit stronger than usual.

kfarmerk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone ever try mixing walnut shell media and corn cob media? I'm told the walnut shells are supposed to be better at polishing and the corn cob is supposed to be better at cleaning.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Anyone ever try mixing walnut shell media and corn cob media? I'm told the walnut shells are supposed to be better at polishing and the corn cob is supposed to be better at cleaning.
    Yes, many people do it, and one poster has already mentioned that in this thread.

BTW, I think you have those two backwards. I always thought that walnut was the more aggressive cleaner and corn cob was the better polisher.

Top Bottom