• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    hello. i just bought my first handgun a yugo m57 tokarev. I haven't bought any ammo for it yet, but was thinking about buying that polish corrosive stuff. I've researched it a lot and hear a lot of mixed things, wanted to:

1. ask if anyone had any experience with this type of ammo (7.62x25)
    2. being corrosive, does that mean if i leave the ammo in my magazine will that ruin it or do i have to clean magazines?
    3. what is the most optimal way of cleaning throughly? (boiling water or ?)

thanks

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    hello. i just bought my first handgun a yugo m57 tokarev. I haven't bought any ammo for it yet, but was thinking about buying that polish corrosive stuff. I've researched it a lot and hear a lot of mixed things, wanted to:
    being corrosive, does that mean if i leave the ammo in my magazine will that ruin it or do i have to clean magazines?

As long as the ammo is not fired it can be stored any where just like other ammo. So loading a magazine, one in the chamber will NOT affect the metal of your gun. It is only when the ammo is fired that you then have to worry about the metal of your gun.

Once fired the chemical reaction that occurs for the bullet to be fired leaves a residue that interacts with the metal of your gun (mainly the barrel) and over time will eat the metal. Thus your barrel will over time loss some of it's properties of firing straight. However this takes time. During WWII everyone used corrosive ammo and those rifles are still ok and that ammo killed lots of people. So don't worry about it too much with the gun you mention. I personally would NOT use corrosive ammo on say a match/target gun. But for a plinker or any of the commie guns no issues so long as you clean it afterwards.

what is the most optimal way of cleaning throughly? (boiling water or ?)
    thanks

Here are some reading links for you on the subject.

AK-47.net: Corrosive Ammunition
    (This one should answer all your questions on cleaning)

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle - Cleaning After Shooting Corrosive Ammunition

Educational Zone #13 - Shooting & Cleaning Corrosive Ammo - Page 1

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Some flush the corrosive primer salts out with hot water, or you could just use some WWII bore cleaner just like you would any other bore cleaner immediately after shooting.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    the corrosive milsurp 7.62x25 is pretty economical; buy it cheap & stock it deep. I use it in my yugo m57 and cz52 regularly... real easy to clean, just flush the barrel real good with hot/boiling water after you're done shooting & wipe down the breech face with the same then clean with carbon solvent & lubricate as normal.

If I'm going to a range a ways from home I'll bring a 2 liter pop bottle with hot water & run a bunch through the barrel after field stripping, then flush and clean when I get home.

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    Invest in some Ballistol oil it will netralize the acids and you will never have any trouble with corrosion.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Invest in some Ballistol oil it will netralize the acids and you will never have any trouble with corrosion.

Ah, no, it is a salt, not an acid that does the damage. Potassium Chloride to be exact. Salts attract water, and as a result speed up the rusting. My understanding of Ballistol is that it is a water based product, if so then it should work as water is what does the work of removing the salt.
    As far as cleaning my CZ52, I dunk the slide and barrel in a pot of hot soapy water while I wipe down any frame parts that might have any primer salts on them with the soapy water. Take the barrel and slide out, shake off the excess and if the metal is good and hot it dries quickly, then clean as normal with solvent, follow with a bit of oil.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    the corrosive milsurp 7.62x25 is pretty economical; buy it cheap & stock it deep. I use it in my yugo m57 and cz52 regularly... real easy to clean, just flush the barrel real good with hot/boiling water after you're done shooting & wipe down the breech face with the same then clean with carbon solvent & lubricate as normal.

If I'm going to a range a ways from home I'll bring a 2 liter pop bottle with hot water & run a bunch through the barrel after field stripping, then flush and clean when I get home.

How do you keep the water hot?

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    If you use windex make sure you get the one with amonia
    (Other than cleaining windows) ammonia's only advantage in Windex is to maybe help a little bit with copper fouling.
    I actually just use plain old water. It's practially free, and does what I want it to do. Absorb the salts, and let me remove it from the bore, etc.

Cheers.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    I would not even bother with windex either. To clean my Mosin Nagant 91/30 I just use the bath tub. Soap and water for corrosive ammo. Soap to reduce the surface tension of the water. Only way to truely remove salt is by water. You can not neutralize salt, You can only wash it away.

I dissasembled everything I can. Soap and water wash. I use a can of air duster then. I would be cheaper if I had a air compressor. I blow out the barrel , action, , bolt, and any hidden crevices I can find. Then as soon as I can afterward I apply a coat of oil on all surfaces inside and out. Lubricate and clean like normal.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I field strip the CZ52 and put all of it in the kitchen sink with hot, soapy water. Yes I'm single so I can get away with that.
    Scrub the bore as normal. Clean the rest of it with one of those USGI toothbrush-looking cleaning brushes. Then take it all out to the garage and use compressed air to dry it.

Top Bottom