• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    whats the real deal with corrosive and non corosive primers?.....
    and does it really matter that much?
    will corrosive last as long as non?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It is said that corrosive primers will last longer on the shelf, but I personally don't believe that the newer non-corrosives wouldn't also have a long shelf life.

As for does it matter, you bet when it comes to cleaning. After using corrosive ammo, you really need to wash the whole firearm down, inside and out to remove the corrosive salts before they cause rust to start.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Corrosive ammo ABSOLUTELY will do very bad things to steel. It's not a myth. Trust me. Use it all you want but get lazy and don't clean it very well and you may as well leave it out in the street.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Primers are corrosive due to the conversion of potassium chlorate to potassium chloride when the primer burns. The resulting potassium salts fill the negative spaces in the barrel (grooves, pores, etc) and begin to wick moisture out of the air. With the effect of the potassium chloride and water on the steel, corrosion can start almost immediately.

Best way to fight it is to bring a bottle of windex with ammonia in your range bag. Finish shooting, and squirt some down the barrel. That'll give you a few hours (if not up to a day) to clean your equipment.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Best way to fight it is to bring a bottle of windex with ammonia in your range bag.

Ammonia doesn't do squat for primer salts. IIRC, the salts are about 50 times more soluble in water than ammonia. Water with a little soap in it is the cheapest and easiest cleaner to use. The soap helps break the surface tension of the water to help it get into the microscopic nooks and crannies in your barrel then the water dissolves the salts and are rinsed away. The ammonia will help with metal fouling, but since window cleaner is less than 1% ammonia, I doubt there is enough to even do that.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Ammonia doesn't do squat for primer salts. IIRC, the salts are about 50 times more soluble in water than ammonia. Water with a little soap in it is the cheapest and easiest cleaner to use. The soap helps break the surface tension of the water to help it get into the microscopic nooks and crannies in your barrel then the water dissolves the salts and are rinsed away. The ammonia will help with metal fouling, but since window cleaner is less than 1% ammonia, I doubt there is enough to even do that.

And... I stand corrected. :)

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

I have herd this as well, All I use is a little water and soap a few patches then oil as usual:yesway:

But one thing though wouldnt hopps#9 be good for this also since when it was developed corrosive primers were normally used?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ammonia does NOT dissolve KCl in any real amounts.

Good ol' H2O is many many many times better at dissolving them.

If you just want to flush them out, then any fluid will work.

But using ammonia is worthless as a solvent in this application.

-J-

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It's the same kind of cleaning you would do for a black powder weapon (real black powder). Hot, hot soapy water, just as hot rinse, dry the weapon out, oil it liberally inside and out, let soak in for a while and wipe off excess oil.

Top Bottom