• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I hate to say it, but I've taken it to the range a few times and still get some every time I shoot it. The stock is the worst, no matter what they leak that stuff out.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    ^^^ I've noticed that. Thought I got most of it out when I was steaming it with my wife's iron. Ruined two good towels and it still leaks out when I bring heat to it.

As far as the metal, I'm pretty sure they're good to go. I kept them soaking for hours, and cleaned the s*** out of them, making sure those pores were filled with oil and not cosmo.

We'll see once I start sending rounds through it though. I can see why people would pay more for a cleaned up model. lmao

woodshed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    I like GM Top Engine cleaner, pretty hot but melts the stuff like butter. Follow up with Kroil and patch till squeaky clean.

Scott

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Yeah, the heat was really effective... but I don't think I'll be doing this again any time soon. I don't mind paying 50 extra bucks to buy one that has already been cleaned. I officially decided. lmao

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The easiest way unfortunately is a summertime only method, but it's by far the easiest.

Wrap the rifle in a dark black trash bag and put it on the dash or rear deck up next to the window of your car and park in the sun on a hot day with the windows up. The greenhouse effect and the black trash bag will evenly heat up the rifle and the cosmoline will come pouring out of the rifle. Then just remove and do some clean up.

This is my favorite method. Used to, when you bought an SKS dripping with cosmoline at the 1500, they pre-wrapped it in a trash bag for you :laugh:

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Black garbage bag = sun is what I have always used. Or a steel barrel with a black trash bag cover, if you have a spare one. Either way, getting ALL the cosmo from the stock is a pain, My yugo M48, although supposedly cleaned by the importer AND sweated out by me after i got it still got boiling hot on the top of the wood furniture on the hot summer days when shooting outside. That stuff is REALLY good, i'd say!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've used Oven Off Oven Cleaner on the stock for a few minutes to draw all the oil and cosmoline out, then use a stiff brush an bucket of water to clean off. Then blow dry with a hair dryer. Then light sanding an stain or tung oil to finish the stock.....I would think Oven Off would also work on the metal parts as well.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Heat it up would be the best way to remove most of the cosmoline... WD-40 is one of the best solvents for Cosmoline ;)

jimd46902

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    The PVC idea works well and is easy, I would fill the tube AFTER you put the barrel in... I dip my own wood arrows using a similar method.

Top Bottom