• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I know I'm a :n00b: around here, and this is probably a noob question but... At what price can I find a used long action Savage? And what is the average price of a new one?

If you can refrain from suggesting a different gun manufacturer please do. I'm looking for a Savage (preferably 30-06) to fit a stock I have sitting around that's designed for a Savage long action. I'm not ready to buy yet, but I'm looking at what the price will be when I am.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    new 400-450 for a complete gun. what kind of stock is it? a option would be to buy a stevens long action. it would fit your stock unless your stock has a floor plate already cut out. even so you buy some bottom metal and you will still probably come out ahead

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    5.06 on my 110FP in .308. I think the short action is about 4.25
    Whether it has a detachable magazine or not is something else to keep in mind.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Sorry I forgot about the details :n00b:. It's a Choate "Ultimate Varmint" stock with an action screw spacing of 5.06. And it's built for an internal magazine. The main use would probably be target shooting.
    Thank you for the responses. And thanks for the link red.
    Db I didn't know that you could get a .308 with that spacing, is/was it common?

Edit: I wasn't sure if the Stevens spacing was the same or not, but that is an option I guess.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Not sure. I bought it from a friend and he said it was a long action. I didnt believe him until I saw the specs on Savage's site. I think the rifle was built in the early 90's. Its pre accutrigger.

Last edited:

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Interesting.
    That reminds me, accu-trigger isn't a must but is prefered.
    I have a friend that's pretty well connected doing some checking for me, so I might hear something from him in a few weeks to.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    The Choate Ultimate Varmint stock costs about as much as I paid for my Savage.

I wonder if that would fit a Stevens rifle?

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Thanks gcoop i'll check that out.

I got the stock for free because my dad used to work for Choate and it has been on the "potential project" list for a while. I just checked the Savage site and it says that the Stevens 200 will fit a stock for an 11 but it doesn't say anything about a 111 or 110?

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    You can usually find a 111 a little cheaper than a 110. I have seen them at Dick's and Dunham's on sale for under $400 new. The difference is that the 110 is a blind magazine and the 111 has a detachable magazine. If your stock is built for the blind magazine you can order the appropriate magazine and follower to convert a 111 to a blind magazine for about $25 from Midway USA.

Savage originally made all calibers in long actions, so a .308 or even .223 in long action is not uncommon. They later added the short action (4.25 in.) but have since change that short action to the new round-back receiver/accu-trigger in a 4.4 inch action screw spacing.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Thanks kb i'll keep that in mind to.
    Right now I'm looking at the most inexpensive option so if it would be cheaper to get a detachable *magazine and a conversion kit than I'd go with that.

*EDITed because I forgot to put magazine there.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom