Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Research this online

Try some of the better online sellers to find out gun prices --

Here is one to try:
    Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com
    >>Buy and sell guns at GunBroker.com - the world's largest online gun auction. Discover top brands of guns, rifles, pistols, shotguns, as well as gun parts and accessories. Register now at GunBroker.com to start buying and selling guns online.

TK

<><

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The best AK-74 for the money, from my personal experience would be this rifle:

AK47 Rifle Interarms IAC 74 Poly

I own one and my buddy has two, and they're outstanding rifles for the money.

If you want top of the line without going full custom AK-74, then it's tough to beat an Arsenal.

Arsenal AK 74 Russian Rifle SGL31-61

If you want to go custom, then you're talking over $1k (and in some cases well over).

I have a few Arsenals and love them, but they're pricey. I wouldn't go with a super cheap option like Century Arms because there's a very good chance you'll get a lemon. Not only that, none of the Century Arms AK-74's have proper chrome lined barrels.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Word on the street is the Saiga 5.45 are going to be back in stock next month. I've got one an the built quality is excellent, not to mention the chrome-lined barrel. They will be around $375 stock (rifle stock, 10 round mag). Check 'em out!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For a GOOD -74.... You're going to be $550 from an FFL, minimum.

You can find Century built rifles for less...but, as I'm learning, I wouldn't take one of their 5.45 rifles unless you could fire it first to determine keyholing.

Wait until 21st Century in Bluffton has their next go-round with some non Century East-German barreled (Chrome-lined) Bulgarian AK-74 rifles.

For a Mini-14... Anywhere from $425 to $700+ depending on if it's old & wood or new & stainless. There were two here on the board recently that were very well priced from my opinion.

If you're already an AK in x39 kind of guy, the Mini-30 is also a nice option. I THINK those run a little higher than a Mini-14.

As SouthBendIN said... A Saiga rifle in 5.45 would be a FANTASTIC platform to build a GREAT AK-74 upon should you desire.

-J-

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I had thought about a Mini-30, but at this point, I think I'd rather look at standardizing on the AK platform than the Mini (although I haven't had any problems with my Mini-14).

SnowCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    You can not beat an Arsenal. Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka just started handling them at $800 each. They are truly the best 74's in my opinion (and I own more than one). Chrome lined hamer forged barrels, etc, etc. BTW, Midwest has great people and they treat you right.
    If you have never owned a 74 before, you will be amazed. It is one great rifle. Extremely low recoil, ammo is dirt cheap, AIM Surplus has it for 129.95 for $1080 rounds sent to your home. It is mildly corrosive (primers only) so clean barrel, etc. with windex. The ammonia in it neutralizes the salts in the corrosive primer powder. Or you can buy Commercial Russian Wolf, Silver Bear etc.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Mercedes made looking good rifles are fine, my humble Romanian Romak II is my most accurate AK-74 rifle. I bought it back in the day for $200. Cant beat it. Check around the auction sites for some good 74's.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Arsenal or Saiga

For what you get for the money, they are hard to beat. When you compare them to cheap variants, it seems like a lot more cost, but when you consider the quality of what you get - totally justifiable in my opinion (and I am a cheapo).

Although one may be temped to buy a cheaper variant *cough* Century *cough*... Just remember, once you have it, you will spend money to fix anything that is off. Fixing keyholing is not cheap... Lacking a chrome lined barrel? Eww....

Someone posted a video on a recent thread that demonstrated Century Arms lack of quality customer service... So note that Century Arms warranty starts ticking the day it leaves the factory - and it may not even have a warranty by the time you buy it new in box...

Although I am picking on Century Arms, the same could be applied to many other companies... sticking with the companies with quality products and customer service is worth the cash.

Consider how cheap the ammo is at the moment, and I truly believe that truly makes the AK-74 and excellent buy.

Last edited:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Trends that I've seen in AK-74 pricing. The Century Arms rebuilt ones usually sell for around an average of $350 on GunBroker. One here sold on INGO for $270 not to long ago. I was mad that I missed that one. Oh well. I see the Saiga's going for around $379 at gunshows. At a retail shop expect to see inflated retail prices.

Ammo is still fairly cheap from online vendors.

Mags are any where from $10 to $60. The plastic Bulgy's being the cheapest and the more collectible bakelite ones can be pricey.

Good luck on your search.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Look in Atlantic Firearms AK74 rifle section. If anything, you can see who's making them and the price range.

There are a few custom makers that are reasonably priced.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The cheapest AK-74s I have seen that I would take a chance on are the Wasr 2 ($410 I think) and the Interarms for $550 that Atlantic carries. Either one I would want to inspect first. An Arsenal SGL31 (sort of a Saiga conversion actually) or a Saiga conversion are probably the only AK74 rifles I would want to buy sight unseen. Those two base rifles are built in Russia by the people that know how to build a barrel right and how to rivet everything together. There are some good kits and builders out there too but I doubt you will be able to buy a kit built rifle with Combloc barrel for much less than an SGL31 (~$800).

Atlantic is getting Veprs back at some point in 5.45x39, and I hear great things about them in terms of quality. They are going to be expensive though. I think they are listing the 7.62x39 Vepr at around $900.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Right now you can get Silver Bear ammo at AIM for $137.50 for 750rds...why shoot the corrosive stuff? Yeah...it's cheaper but I would rather have the piece of mind knowing that if I missed cleaning something it will not be turning to rust.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    For online sales, check centerfiresystems.com, classicarms.com, aimsurplus.com and j&gsales.com. These folks deal in volume and, with the exception of AIM, tend to get stuff shipped within a week or two of processing.

Another thought... find your nearest Dunhams. Click on the "flyer" on the website and enter the zip code of your nearest store. A new flyer comes out most Sundays. A couple of weeks ago, the Century WASR-10 double-stacks were $349 and the Mosins were $79. Sometimes Century does kit-builds/mods ok... some not. The Dracos were built solely at the Romanian Armory and only a drop in G2 trigger grouped was added by Century. Most of the AMD-65s were handled by TGI. IIRC the M70AB2s were farmed out by Century as well. The Polish milled ones that Century has (farmed out, I believe) recently have gotten stellar reviews.

Saigas can be built reasonably cheaply but they are truly "your shooter." Most folks aren't interest in a Saiga converted by another user. The touted Arsenals are Saigas that have been professionally converted.

I would second the deal on 21st Century getting some more AK-74 deals.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I seen a century arms ak-74 but had a long synth. stock but was only $460.00. granted its a staped out ak but on a budget ur always limited ammos cheap.

Top Bottom