• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I really wish I would have saved my brass over the years. A friends dad reloads and he also suggested I start with a turrett. He went big and started with a progressive dillon. He said if he could start over he'd definitely start with a turret. He said the 2nd or 3rd time he reloaded 9 he had the wrong amount of powder going into each round. Ended up redoing about 200 rounds. I'm going to start with the Lee classic turret. I'm not in any rush for rounds. I've got a decent stockpile of factory ammo. I want to make sure that what I'm doing is correct. Thanks for all the replies!

For folks loading mostly semi-auto pistol ammo, there's no better beginner press than the 4-hole, Lee Classic Turret. In fact, for many shooters, it's all the press they ever need...especially the folks who find they enjoy the process. :)

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    The actual firing of the round has become the final step in the science experiment that is my reloading. I really think I like that at least as much as shooting. As far as saving money..ha..i have spent 10 x as much reloading as I ever did. But on the other hand I shoot way more. It's a whole new..related hobby..not really gonna save a lot

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The actual firing of the round has become the final step in the science experiment that is my reloading. I really think I like that at least as much as shooting. As far as saving money..ha..i have spent 10 x as much reloading as I ever did. But on the other hand I shoot way more. It's a whole new..related hobby..not really gonna save a lot

Buy a gun chambered in a wildcat or a really old, obscure cartridge. Look around for where you could buy ammo for that round, instead of loading it yourself. NOW calculate your savings! :)

OK, so it's just an excuse to buy another gun...but, you really can save a bundle if you're reloading for something other than 9, 40, 223 or 308. ;)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Buy a gun chambered in a wildcat or a really old, obscure cartridge. Look around for where you could buy ammo for that round, instead of loading it yourself. NOW calculate your savings! :)

OK, so it's just an excuse to buy another gun...but, you really can save a bundle if you're reloading for something other than 9, 40, 223 or 308. ;)

.308 ain't so cheap to buy anymore...

I never would have considered .458 or 300BLK if I'd had to buy ammo.

gunandrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    lawrenceburg
    I am just starting to reload. I bought once fired brass 1000 ct .380 auto for $73 delivered. bullets are $72. I still need to get primers and powder. I can find primers online but can't find pistol powder. If I can find powder, I think my cost for first 1000 will be under .20 a round. Next 1000 will be under .12 a round. I also going to reload 9mm. Hoping to get free brass for that.

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    It looks like there are several folks that are saying I spend more now that I did before. They do include the disclaimer that they are also shooting more. GOOD THING!
    While it takes some time to see the payback on the purchase of all the equipment required to get into reloading, I also think that if you look at this from If I take someone fishing, they eat for the day, However if I teach them to fish, they will never go hungry.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    We just ordered 2000 9mm 124gr bullets from Xtreme. $156 delivered with their 17% discount code they were running. Sweet!
    That works out to be:
    Bullet: $.078
    Primers: $.035 ($35/box CCI #500)
    Powder: $.020
    Brass: $.050 ( it was basically free, but i thought I would figure in the cost to keep the non-reloader guys from complaining too much :p)

that works out to 18.3 cents per round
    $9.15 per box of 50
    $183/case
    Knock $50 off the case price, or $2.50 off the box price if you don't count the brass.

With all the other ammo I've loaded in the past 6 months, my Dillon RL550B & 9mm dies are just about paid for now. :rockwoot:

ifr2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    Indy
    I got into reloading to save cash and have an available supply. It has become my favorite hobby. I'm to the point I like reloading more than shooting, and I really like to shoot.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    For folks loading mostly semi-auto pistol ammo, there's no better beginner press than the 4-hole, Lee Classic Turret. In fact, for many shooters, it's all the press they ever need...especially the folks who find they enjoy the process. :)
    ^^This. And mine does well with .308 and No. 56 Spencer, too.

SameOl'Sh!z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    indianapolis
    This I have figured for reloading 1,000 rds of .223

Note: the price of the brass is figured by using the brass 10 times.

Very cool! Thanks for the visual. The fiancé just order my Lee classic turret, dies, etc. Gotta love Christmas! And I just scored 2500 once fired 40 brass for $85 shipped on gunbroker. Didn't think that was too bad. Now just need a few more components and Christmas to get here then I'll be ready to start reloading. I believe I'll really enjoy doing it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Justin, read the "Note:"...that cost is amortized for 10 firings. In other words, the base cost is $98, but divided by 10.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Where you save huge is on the heavy duty stuff..like .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .338 Lapua, .460 S&W, .500 S&W even .44 Mag all the Weatherby Mags,.....Saw box of .338L for close to $170.00 per box of 20....and the there is a large savings on heavy shotgun loads too..Basically the cost of the powder is very small and the primer is just a few cents..the cost is mostly in the bullet if you already have the brass.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    One of the reasons I started to reload was I was shooting in IHMS events and I needed to tune the loads to my gun and the ranges that I was shooting at. The fact that it cost me about half what I would spend on factory ammo only made it better.

If you are shooting anything like the 300 Weatherby you will want to reload. My Dad gave his 300 Weatherby to me after he had a heart attack. I picked up a set of dies, brass, bullets powder and some loading boxes for around a $100. That allowed me to load 100 rounds. Twenty rounds of factory 300 Weatherby magnum goes for around $80.

If you end up with a round such as the 358 Hoosier. It cost $3 a round from one of the gun shops that load for it. The 358 Hoosier is one of the rounds that is legal to use on deer in Indiana. Indiana is very picky on what you use in a rifle to kill a deer. Any way I took that rifle out back today and shot 3 milk jugs at 100 yards and 2 at 50 yards. I used my reloads and shot them off hand. Five shots and five dead jugs. It was very satisfying to be able to load the ammo that made it possible to do that.The cost to me was a set of 358 Winchester dies that I had to cut down, 308 brass, powder, primers and bullets. I loaded fifty rounds for $ 20 more than the $60 twenty rounds would have cost. I now have the brass that can be reloaded at least 10 times. So I will only have to buy more powder, primers and bullets till the brass needs replaced.

Yes you do have to buy the tools to reload, the press and such things as that but they will last a life time with a little care. Now if I didn't shoot a lot and was only going to shoot one size round and it didn't cost that much for fifth rounds I wouldn't bother. I shoot 358 Winchester, 243 Winchester 308 Winchester, 358 Hoosier, 44mag , 5.56, 6mmX45, 45 ACP, 357mag, 9mm, 380 ACP and 22 rim fire. I gave the Weatherby and all the stuff I had for it to my Son, so he loads for it now.

When I first started out reloading it was just something that went along with the sport of shooting IHMS. Now I enjoy it. It is as I said above very satisfying to load ammo for a given fire arm that will allow it to do things that it couldn't do with factory ammo. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Top Bottom