• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • typhoon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    just heard that a cougar was trapped off 446 near lake monore. the guy called DNR for them to come get it. it was tagged, hmmm seems like the dnr is releasing them or at least tracking them. a buddy saw one 1/4 mile from my house around 3:30 am about 2 months ago.

thindman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Indy
    I use to live up near Plymouth and we had one living in the woods behind our house. It left huge paw prints every time it rained. Very awesome animals.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Cougars are not that rare in Indiana. All you have to do is go to a singles bar......There it is. The obligatory "cougar" joke. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I use to live up near Plymouth and we had one living in the woods behind our house. It left huge paw prints every time it rained. Very awesome animals.

Yeah, there have been some unconfirmed sightings up by LaPaz and some people talking about possible sightings a few other places in the area.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Why bring cougars to Indiana? I mean, aside from them being amazing animals, what's the advantage? Is this an attempt to cull the deer population? Just curious.

I was face to face with a mountain lion while playing golf in Arizona. It was no more than 20 yards behind me. My buddy's yelled for me to turn around. It was awesome! My partner started to turn and run. I grabbed and him and told him to walk backwards. If you turn your back and run, he might think your pray. He watched us and then jumped into the brush.

The beer wench on the next hole told us a mountain lion attacked an older gentleman on that same tee box 2 weeks prior. She told me I should've shot it.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal

The Exotic Feline Rescue Center‎ is located there. Coincidence? Does DNR not know?

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Tin foil hats aside, the hub bub is that the DNR is in the sack with the auto insurance companies to knock down the deer pops.

Less deer= less wrecked cars

This is not a new conspiracy theory, not inclusive to IND only, and we had the same debate when I was still back in NY where the DEP swears that everyone is crazy and misidentifying bobcats for ML's on the trail cam pics.

That is the story and not my personal accusations, so don't jump my ass on responses thinking I came up it.

I did not.

Is it true? I don't know?

Are UFO's real? Couldn't tell ya?

Is obongo a commie? Most likely, but ya didn't hear that from me.

Mystery, the spice of life. :D

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Why bring cougars to Indiana? I mean, aside from them being amazing animals, what's the advantage? Is this an attempt to cull the deer population? Just curious.

I was face to face with a mountain lion while playing golf in Arizona. It was no more than 20 yards behind me. My buddy's yelled for me to turn around. It was awesome! My partner started to turn and run. I grabbed and him and told him to walk backwards. If you turn your back and run, he might think your pray. He watched us and then jumped into the brush.

The beer wench on the next hole told us a mountain lion attacked an older gentleman on that same tee box 2 weeks prior. She told me I should've shot it.

That is wild. Lived in AZ for 4 years and everything read, saw, and heard led me to believe that if you see a Mountain Lion you are going to be attacked. You and your buddy should feel very lucky. Tragedy avoided.:) Also, don't think they are bringing them here. Think they are migrating here due to urban sprawl. There is still a majority of land in this country that is unsettled but, when their domain is disturbed, they have to go somewhere.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Tin foil hats aside, the hub bub is that the DNR is in the sack with the auto insurance companies to knock down the deer pops.

Less deer= less wrecked cars

This is not a new conspiracy theory, not inclusive to IND only, and we had the same debate when I was still back in NY where the DEP swears that everyone is crazy and misidentifying bobcats for ML's on the trail cam pics.

That is the story and not my personal accusations, so don't jump my ass on responses thinking I came up it.

I did not.

Is it true? I don't know?

Are UFO's real? Couldn't tell ya?

Is obongo a commie? Most likely, but ya didn't hear that from me.

Mystery, the spice of life. :D
    I've had bad experiences with reporting cougar sightings to the DNR over the years. My personal addition to the conspiracy theory is that monsanto and cargill are paying them to populate the predatory species in order to eliminate outside sources of food for us....thus forcing us to buy it from them. Some evidence of this is the reintroduction of coyotes to the region in the '70s.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Aw, yes, the coyotes. The DNR has such a stellar record of "re introduction" of species. So much so they now deny any re introduction of the coyotes. Problem is, I'm old enough to remember reading the local newspaper account of the DNR releasing coyotes around our area. But now their official position is "never happened " I wish I had the time to spend some days at the paper pouring over old microfiche to find the news account. Cougars ? I don't know. But I hope they were not so stupid as to release some. Wild animals, any of them will do some strange stuff when cornered or hungry. Look what goes on in Florida with alligators and now snakes. If I had a small child mauled or killed by a mountain lion that was released by the DNR, you could not put enough 0000s behind the first number to suit me in a lawsuit.But if it had a tag you have to wonder who turned it out.

dawg1981

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Southport IN
    The Exotic Feline Rescue Center‎ is located there. Coincidence? Does DNR not know?

The Exotic Feline Resue is in the Brazil area not Bloomington.
    And if anybody remembers there was a mountain lion that had
    escaped from there about 3 years ago and it was never caught.

It's name was Donner and was a female, there were sightings
    near a few schools about a year ago in Terre Haute which could
    have been her since it is not far from Brazil.

SO there definately is activity in the state whether it is from
    "Donner" or other cats being released.

Dawg

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    That is wild. Lived in AZ for 4 years and everything read, saw, and heard led me to believe that if you see a Mountain Lion you are going to be attacked. You and your buddy should feel very lucky. Tragedy avoided.:) Also, don't think they are bringing them here. Think they are migrating here due to urban sprawl. There is still a majority of land in this country that is unsettled but, when their domain is disturbed, they have to go somewhere.

I didn't realize just how lucky we were until hearing about the attack on the older gentlemen. I had just watched a show on Mountain Lion attacks which is the only reason I knew not to turn and run. In the moment, I was just in awe at how big and awesome it was.

Migration makes sense. It's good to hear about these sightings. It's one more thing we all need to be aware of when we are in the woods hunting, hiking or camping.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I was speaking with a retired DNR cop just the other day about this very subject. He still denies the fact that there are cougars in Indiana. Oh, he was ready to say there were lions in Michigan but no way they were loose here. Not unless they were turned loose by a private owner that is.

Stupid public!

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Mountain lions are NON-NATIVE to Indiana
    The DNR is not and HAS NOT RELEASED any

Sure they are a few around that have escaped from cages that people have but the DNR are not who has released them:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd like to see the proof this animal was even trapped
    Just because some guy comes on here and says it, many seem to this is true:laugh::rolleyes:

where is the pictures??? (i heard)

Top Bottom