• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Yup, it'll work. Not a lot to simple distillation. Heat up some mash, and cool down the vapor. Making quality booze OTOH, takes skill and quality ingredients as well.

I wonder if he would have sold/listed it as a "decoration" or the like if it would still be frowned upon?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why are these illegal?

Because the General Assembly and Governor agreed that it should be...back in 1973?

(a) It is a Class C misdemeanor for a person to knowingly own, have in the person's possession or under the person's control, or use a still or distilling apparatus for the manufacture of liquor, except as otherwise provided in this title.

(b) It is a Class C misdemeanor for a person to knowingly own, have in the person's possession or under the person's control, or use brewing or wine-making apparatus, for the manufacture for commercial purposes of beer or wine, except as otherwise provided in this title.

Burns Ind. Code Ann. § 7.1-5-6-1

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You are allowed to make a but for personal use or any sort of alcoholic beverage, as long as you don't go over this or try to sell any of it you are fine. The amount of stuff you have on hand can get you into trouble too. More than you can possibly make for yourself legally in a year is not allowed. Likely these people had far more than they were able to say was for personal use legally and got arrested for it. You can sell the equipment and essentials to make ber, wine or distilled alcohol if you are taxed for the product like any other business so they can sell the stuff w/o problem.

Unless it is otherwise per state law. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You're allowed to ferment wine or beer to some extent for personal use, but distilling anything is a big nono with the feral .gov.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    You are allowed to make a but for personal use or any sort of alcoholic beverage, as long as you don't go over this or try to sell any of it you are fine. The amount of stuff you have on hand can get you into trouble too. More than you can possibly make for yourself legally in a year is not allowed. Likely these people had far more than they were able to say was for personal use legally and got arrested for it. You can sell the equipment and essentials to make ber, wine or distilled alcohol if you are taxed for the product like any other business so they can sell the stuff w/o problem.

Unless it is otherwise per state law. :)

You are free to make wine and beer for personal use. Distilled spirits cannot be made, even if its just for personal use .

Which really doesnt make sense to me.... You can make beer or wine, and you can drink a distilled spirit, but its illegal to process it from one form to the other (without major hurdles). Look what happened to the beer industry once home brewing became legal and all the micro brews. I just wish something similar happens with distilled spirits in the future.

Last edited:

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You are free to make wine and beer for personal use. Distilled spirits cannot be made, even if its just for personal use .

Which really doesnt make sense to me.... You can make beer or wine, and you can drink a distilled spirit, but its illegal to process it from one form to the other (without major hurdles). Look what happened to the beer industry once home brewing became legal and all the micro brews. I just wish something similar happens with distilled spirits in the future.

I believe that it has to do with the taxation of distilled spirits. The .gov wants to make sure that they get their cut. The same reason why distillers have to sell through different channels (distribution) than microbrews do (direct). This goes all the way back to the Whiskey Rebelion.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, so it's illegal to possess equipment for the purpose of making or distilling liquor. That doesn't mean distillation equipment is illegal to possess. It means it's illegal to possess it for that purpose. How do they prove it was for that purpose? How does the accused dis-prove it was for that purpose?

Coming from an engineering and science background I can think of a NUMBER of things I could use a distillation setup for in the home. Would possessing one get me nailed on charges like this?

Or was it just the "wording" this guy used in his ad that got him in hot water?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ok, so it's illegal to possess equipment for the purpose of making or distilling liquor. That doesn't mean distillation equipment is illegal to possess. It means it's illegal to possess it for that purpose. How do they prove it was for that purpose? How does the accused dis-prove it was for that purpose?

Coming from an engineering and science background I can think of a NUMBER of things I could use a distillation setup for in the home. Would possessing one get me nailed on charges like this?

In the article linked in the OP- the "purpose" is pretty easy to prove....it was right in the ad.

Barring that, residue (are they really going to test for a class 3 misdemeanor?), possession along with distilling books, a couple of bushels of corn, wheat, potatoes or whatever, posting about it on the internet....plenty of ways to make out the case if they want to, but if you don't advertise it for sale and make it clear the purpose- what are the chances you'll draw attention? Probably not real good.

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

Government allows home distilling (just not of alcohol). I believe one of the laws is that the pot cannot be bigger than 1 gallon (dont ask me why). Thats why all home water distillers have a maximum 1 gallon tank (Convenient Easy-Fill Model 200 Home Water Distiller | Countertop Water Distiller)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I doubt it would be specifically illegal to possess, unless they did something like that "possession with the intent to distribute" thing they do with drugs, but actually distilling ethanol for the purpose of consumption is called a bad thing. It's all about the proof-gallon tax, though, ultimately. There's a really great place for a still in my neighborhood, right next to a creek and all. I'm not saying I'd set one up, though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I doubt it would be specifically illegal to possess, unless they did something like that "possession with the intent to distribute" thing they do with drugs, but actually distilling ethanol for the purpose of consumption is called a bad thing. It's all about the proof-gallon tax, though, ultimately. There's a really great place for a still in my neighborhood, right next to a creek and all. I'm not saying I'd set one up, though.

"(a) It is a Class C misdemeanor for a person to knowingly own, have in the person's possession or under the person's control, or use a still or distilling apparatus for the manufacture of liquor, except as otherwise provided in this title."

Top Bottom